Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old May 31st 2023, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice
Default Re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

I posted my first CF83 (from within the UK) on 10 March and after calling 3 times to see if they received it I was told on April 21 that I should perhaps send in another so I did so on that same day (this time from the US).

On May 10th I called and they said they still didn't have it and to call again the following week. I called on May 24 and they said they had it and it arrived May 10th (coincidence?).

I then checked the App, and sure enough it was showing up there too. Not sure which of the two I submitted they processed but it took either 2 months to process it on 2 weeks. I suspect it was the latter. If in doubt, send it again.

Old May 31st 2023, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by stephend-
I posted my first CF83 (from within the UK) on 10 March and after calling 3 times to see if they received it I was told on April 21 that I should perhaps send in another so I did so on that same day (this time from the US).

On May 10th I called and they said they still didn't have it and to call again the following week. I called on May 24 and they said they had it and it arrived May 10th (coincidence?).

I then checked the App, and sure enough it was showing up there too. Not sure which of the two I submitted they processed but it took either 2 months to process it on 2 weeks. I suspect it was the latter. If in doubt, send it again.

I checked the app yesterday, mine was received in February and is now showing a date of November 24, for when I should get a response. It was originally March! According to the site they are currently working on forms received in August 2022.
it may be worth checking again as I think your date may change 🙃🙃🙃🙃
Old May 31st 2023, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Have those of you who make Class 2 payments received your annual letter from HMRC this year? I haven't received mine yet. Last couple of years, the letter was dated circa April 2, and I received it towards the end of April.

I'm tempted to make an unsolicited payment, since the payment details don't change from year to year - only the payment amount.
So I guess 163.80 GBP is the magic number for this year?

To the regulars in this thread - is 163.80 GBP the correct amount for 2022/2023? This site https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/...-self-employed does seem to confirm that the weekly amount is 3.15 GBP/week for class 2 NIC, and 3.15 * 52 is 163.80, so I think I'll go with that. I'm guessing my letter got lost in the mail - I was traveling for a month with my mail on hold, which is never a good thing for mail.
Old May 31st 2023, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

To the regulars in this thread - is 163.80 GBP the correct amount for 2022/2023?
I made a web search and saw £163.80 quoted in a few places.
Old May 31st 2023, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

Originally Posted by Reidies
I checked the app yesterday, mine was received in February and is now showing a date of November 24, for when I should get a response. It was originally March! According to the site they are currently working on forms received in August 2022.
Right! I didn't believe the date they put for one moment!!

Now they have the form, my understanding is the July deadline no longer matters, as I don't have to pay anything until they send me the decision on Class 2 or 3, is that correct?

Cheers,

Stephen.
Old May 31st 2023, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephend-
Right! I didn't believe the date they put for one moment!!

Now they have the form, my understanding is the July deadline no longer matters, as I don't have to pay anything until they send me the decision on Class 2 or 3, is that correct?

Cheers,

Stephen.

That's my understanding as well. Somebody on another expat group was told that verbally ……
Old May 31st 2023, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

That has to be the rule, otherwise people would be time barred due to Government delays in processing applications, which would open them to huge criticism. And there needs to be a reasonable processing time (albeit, the delays may exceed "reasonable"), as there's no way applications received on or shortly before the deadline can be processed, the applicant informed and payment made by 31 July. Rather, 31 July has to be the deadline to receive applications, with processing and payment thereafter.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

To the regulars in this thread - is 163.80 GBP the correct amount for 2022/2023? This site https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/...-self-employed does seem to confirm that the weekly amount is 3.15 GBP/week for class 2 NIC, and 3.15 * 52 is 163.80, so I think I'll go with that. I'm guessing my letter got lost in the mail - I was traveling for a month with my mail on hold, which is never a good thing for mail.
Yes, that's the correct amount for class 2 for this year :-)
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

msk2uon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reidies
Would you be able to share details on which app you're using? I don't seem to get anything from the .gov website even after loggin in.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by msk2uon
Would you be able to share details on which app you're using? I don't seem to get anything from the .gov website even after loggin in.
Sorry I mean the UK GOV website, not a separate app.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

bertkloss9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see from the government website that I have a number of years of NI that I could pay (from 2010, 2011).

Can I just pay them i.e not wait until I receive a bill . I sent in my request to pay previous years NI some months ago but don't expect a reply until January 2024 (according to the website)?

I've just received the bill and paid last year's NI so I have the direct deposit bank account/reference numbers.

Has anyone done this?
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Question about the 'final payment' (final class 2 contribution) (as you approach/pass 66).

UK State Pension age is currently 66. I turn 66 in November 2024.

I just logged on to HMRC website, and it says "You can get your State Pension on xx November 2024". All makes sense / lines up.

The HMRC website also says I have '2 years to contribute before 5 April 2024'.

One such payment, I made just today - basically the April 2023 payment for 2022 to 2023 tax year.

The next (and last) payment will presumably be next April, the April 2024 payment for 2023 to 2024 tax year.

So if that's my last payment (only 2 to go before 5 April 2024), I presume I won't be making any contributions for the period from April 2024 through my birthday / pension eligibiilty date of November 2024? So is it true that your contributions end on the April 'before' your 66th birthday, regardless of what month your 66th birthday falls?

Also - even though it says "2 years to contribute before 5 April 2024", they don't typically send out the letter telling you what the contribution amount is until April, which means the payment won't actually be made until May/June (and won't probably get credited till October/November/etc). So is it correct to say, I'll be making my final payment sometime in May/June 2024, for tax year 2023/2024, and it will likely be received / acknowledged / credited by HMRC close to, or even after, my actual 66th birthday in November?

Old Jun 3rd 2023, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Allies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond repute

It is true that your contributions end on the April 'before' your 66th birthday, regardless of what month your 66th birthday falls.

I turn 66 on June 7th, Here's what I did to make sure I could get my full state pension beginning in June 23 as I had a very short intervening period. On April 7th I made a payment of 163.80 for the final (22 - 23) tax year over the phone via an agent. The payment showed as an immediate debit on my bank account. The agent told me to call back in 2 to 3 weeks and ask for the payment to be immediately allocated. I did this around the end of April. The new agent told me she would be sending a letter to the correct department to get it immediately allocated but to check back with them at the end of May to make sure this had happened so i would get the full state pension, I did not need to as I checked my state pension forecast at the end of May and the 22 -23 year had been credited and my state pension forecast updated to the correct final state pension amount.

I am not sure if they only do this when the period between the end of the previous tax year and your birthday is short i.e. in my case 2 months but clearly worked for me.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Allies
It is true that your contributions end on the April 'before' your 66th birthday, regardless of what month your 66th birthday falls.

I turn 66 on June 7th, Here's what I did to make sure I could get my full state pension beginning in June 23 as I had a very short intervening period. On April 7th I made a payment of 163.80 for the final (22 - 23) tax year over the phone via an agent. The payment showed as an immediate debit on my bank account. The agent told me to call back in 2 to 3 weeks and ask for the payment to be immediately allocated. I did this around the end of April. The new agent told me she would be sending a letter to the correct department to get it immediately allocated but to check back with them at the end of May to make sure this had happened so i would get the full state pension, I did not need to as I checked my state pension forecast at the end of May and the 22 -23 year had been credited and my state pension forecast updated to the correct final state pension amount.

I am not sure if they only do this when the period between the end of the previous tax year and your birthday is short i.e. in my case 2 months but clearly worked for me.
Congrats on (almost) getting the pension!

Regarding "On April 7th I made a payment of 163.80 for the final (22 - 23) tax year over the phone via an agent. " - can you you tell us how you did that? First of all, are you in the UK or overseas? If overseas, what number did you call to reach this amazingly helpful 'agent', and what was the method whereby payment was made - provision of bank account details (routing number, account number) over the phone? This all sounds far too easy!

Presumably, if delays do occur, you still get the money 'eventually' (catchup payments) ...
Old Jun 4th 2023, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Allies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond repute

I am overseas and when dealing with the state pension have a dedicated overseas line. +44 (0) 191 218 7777 I cannot recall if I was on a separate line for the NIC 2 payment. in April 23. I suspect not. I must admit, just like you, I had researched and asked the questions re the final payment twelve months earlier i.e April 22. I was told to do it this way as if I relied on the usual method, i.e. check and mail to the UK it could be a long time before it got processed/allocated. They did assure me if there were any delays the monies would be retroactively paid.

The agent I called in April 23 could see there was an open slot for the 22-23 NIc 2 payment and let me pay over the phone using my UK bank TSB (Account Number and Sort Code.) I think the problem is if you don't follow up re: the allocation, it can just sit there in a paid state for several months and not get credited to your forecast.

And to be fair, the whole process of doing an online state pension claim in Feb 23, getting it approved and making the final NIC2 contribution in April 23 to getting the final payment allocated in May 23 and it being reflected in a full state pension was surprisingly easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.