Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Mar 13th 2023, 2:51 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Regardless of the class, I believe that you can only buy the previous 2 NI years at the rate current in that year. All years prior to that are at the current rates.
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

USADragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Prog1
Does anyone know the Class 2 rates for 2016/17 to 2022/23?

The Class 3 rates are shown in my NI record and have been uprated to the current rate for years before the current and previous two years. Are the Class 2 rates uprated the same way?

Class 3 Rates: as of 2023-03-11
Tax Year Yearly Weekly Historical
2022 2023 824.20 15.85 15.85
2021 2022 800.80 15.40 15.40
2020 2021 795.60 15.30 15.30
2019 2020 824.20 15.85 15.00
2018 2019 824.20 15.85 14.65
2017 2018 824.20 15.85 14.25
2016 2017 824.20 15.85 14.10

For reference there is an HMRC document out these called "table-a4.ods" that list all the historical rates. Just Google it to find it.
This is the letter they sent recently detailing the missing years I was eligible to pay

Old Mar 23rd 2023, 3:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on hold at the moment to HMRC as I need to follow up on my form, they have extended the deadline to pay to 31st July.

The app says I should've had a response by 20 Feb, nothing has appeared in my mailbox though.
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

Just talked to HMRC again. I was told the CR83 needs to be in by April 5th. The payment deadline is 31st July. Previously they also told me that payment could be after that date if the are still processing your case (which they will be).
It seems we are getting mixed messages. Although my form has been sent, and so should be before April 5th, I specifically asked on a call today if the July 31st deadline was for PAYMENTS only, and he said that it was payments AND to receive the CF83 form. Not sure what to believe now.
Old Mar 24th 2023, 12:59 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

An update on my call today. The lady said as long as the form was in before the deadline, then that's ok. It's currently taking 31 weeks to look at the form.
Old Mar 25th 2023, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
An update on my call today. The lady said as long as the form was in before the deadline, then that's ok. It's currently taking 31 weeks to look at the form.
Do you mean the extended July 31 deadline?
Old Mar 25th 2023, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by stephend-
Do you mean the extended July 31 deadline?
she said, the deadline has been extended and as long as the paperwork is in it's ok. I didn't ask if it was the extended deadline as I was calling to make sure a response to my form hadn't been lost. That's when I found out about the 31 week processing.
Old Mar 25th 2023, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification. I think what makes me nervous is that the Ministerial Statement (Link here) only talks about the extended July deadline being for payments , and that we might be told after the even that it was a mistake to suggest the application could come after April 5th.

I would recommend getting the form in, pronto, just in case.
Old Mar 25th 2023, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Prog1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephend-
Thanks for the clarification. I think what makes me nervous is that the Ministerial Statement (Link here) only talks about the extended July deadline being for payments , and that we might be told after the even that it was a mistake to suggest the application could come after April 5th.

I would recommend getting the form in, pronto, just in case.
Sent mine in via USPS, 3-5 days for delivery. That was on March 15th. But the tracking says:

Label Created, not yet in system

A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

!!!
Old Mar 25th 2023, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Guess I shouldn't have used USPS, ShipBob says:

There is one major con to using USPS for shipping to the UK: tracking packages no longer works once they leave the US. USPS packages are transferred to Royal Mail once they reach the UK. This may take anywhere from a few hours to days or even weeks and can delay delivery times.
Old Mar 25th 2023, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

I expect to retire in the next 1-3 years. I can decide the exact timing. Are there employment requirements to be able to make a full years payment and still get credit for the full year?
Old Mar 25th 2023, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sent mine in via USPS, 3-5 days for delivery. That was on March 15th. But the tracking says:

Label Created, not yet in system

A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

!!!
Very frustrating. I would just call the tax office and ask if they received it. I posted mine to family in the UK and was going to have them send it recorded delivery (as I knew about the tracking not working after it leaves the US), but the guy in the tax office advised against that as it can delay it a bit as the BX9 postcode is unattended and so the post has to get diverted to another office if it requires a signature. He recommended I just sent it first class then call the following week to see if they received it as apparently they check them into the system fairly quickly.
Old Mar 26th 2023, 1:40 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be employed to qualify for Class 2 but can can contribute Class 3 regardless of employment status, so worst case scenario you have to switch to Class 3 if you informed them you were no longer employed. However I know of no obligation to inform them of your employment status after you have set up payment. Perhaps it is in the fine print, if so I don’t recall seeing that.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 1:17 am
Just Joined

maxibob is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I have to have started work immediately after I arrived in the USA? I have been here for 32 years, and don't have W2's going back that far. I left the UK in Summer of 1991, worked for more than 3 years in the UK immediately prior to leaving, however I did not start working in the US until 2-3 months after arriving. I do have a US Social Security Statement showing that I had made contributions in the USA starting in 1991 (although it shows 1991-2000 as cumulative years). When I look on UK.GOV it is showing that I will owe 824 GBP per year, which seems to be the Class 3 rate. Also FYI for anyone interested it looks like HMRC has extended the date for completing and filing Form CF83 until July 20, 2023 as they have a backlog of several months.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 1:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxibob
Do I have to have started work immediately after I arrived in the USA? I have been here for 32 years, and don't have W2's going back that far. I left the UK in Summer of 1991, worked for more than 3 years in the UK immediately prior to leaving, however I did not start working in the US until 2-3 months after arriving. I do have a US Social Security Statement showing that I had made contributions in the USA starting in 1991 (although it shows 1991-2000 as cumulative years). When I look on UK.GOV it is showing that I will owe 824 GBP per year, which seems to be the Class 3 rate. ...
Apply for the Class 2 rate, you should be OK, and there is no downside to applying. You don't have to have started work as you stepped off the plane, but I am not sure exactly what the rules are or how they are applied. I think one current BE member didn't start working until about a year after he arrived, and was still approved for the Class 2 rate.
.... Also FYI for anyone interested it looks like HMRC has extended the date for completing and filing Form CF83 until July 20, 2023 as they have a backlog of several months.
Yes, the time has been extended, but time is still very short. Whatever anyone needs to do regarding Calculating and paying retrospective NI should be done as soon as humanly possible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 29th 2023 at 1:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.