Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Mar 9th 2023, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Prog1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Anyone know the wait times to get through to DWP? I called at 8:30 am (12:30 am here in Nevada). I waited 50 minutes and gave up.
Old Mar 9th 2023, 4:59 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Unfortunately, it could take weeks or even months to get through to them, they cannot handle the volume right now. Be persistent, call as soon as they open and at different times.
Old Mar 9th 2023, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

Originally Posted by Prog1
Anyone know the wait times to get through to DWP? I called at 8:30 am (12:30 am here in Nevada). I waited 50 minutes and gave up.
I called them at 10:30 EST today and unlike on Monday (when it just kept cutting me off despite 40+ attempts) I got through on my first attempt today, and was on hold listening to a guitar for about 1hr 10mins before I got connected to a person. I spoke with Jim who was very friendly and helpful, though he basically said to call HMRC on +44 191 203 7010 as he is DWP and can't assign a NIC Class or help with form CF38. HMRC have to do that.

The only reason to call the Future Pensions Centre is to get confirmation of what you probably already know which is whether it will improve your pension if you pay for gaps in your payment years.

Anyway, I called and got through to the HMRC folk almost straight away. They answered some questions I had about form CF38 but told me to tick the box for Class 2 because if you don't ask you won't get, then get it signed and in the post. He advised that they may not contact me back before the deadline, but as long as my form was received before the deadline (cough - recorded delivery - cough) it will be processed and they will accept payment as though it were before the deadline.

Last edited by stephend-; Mar 9th 2023 at 5:41 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2023, 7:17 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Useful information and great news!
Old Mar 10th 2023, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stephend-
I called them at 10:30 EST today and unlike on Monday (when it just kept cutting me off despite 40+ attempts) I got through on my first attempt today, and was on hold listening to a guitar for about 1hr 10mins before I got connected to a person. I spoke with Jim who was very friendly and helpful, though he basically said to call HMRC on +44 191 203 7010 as he is DWP and can't assign a NIC Class or help with form CF38. HMRC have to do that.

The only reason to call the Future Pensions Centre is to get confirmation of what you probably already know which is whether it will improve your pension if you pay for gaps in your payment years.

Anyway, I called and got through to the HMRC folk almost straight away. They answered some questions I had about form CF38 but told me to tick the box for Class 2 because if you don't ask you won't get, then get it signed and in the post. He advised that they may not contact me back before the deadline, but as long as my form was received before the deadline (cough - recorded delivery - cough) it will be processed and they will accept payment as though it were before the deadline.
I was confused about who I was calling. I was calling HMRC on the 0300 200 3500 number. In any case, I called back at 2:45 pm UK time today. It was an hour and 10 minute wait for me too. The person I spoke too could only tell me to fill in a CF38 since I have not contributed Class 2 before. It will take 25 weeks to process!! But if they rule in my favour I can still pay. They also tried to connect me to the Future Pensions Centre for questions about gaps in payment but they didn't answer (it was supposed to be just a couple of minutes). So, now I get to call the Future Pensions Centre at 0800 731 0175.

Last edited by Prog1; Mar 10th 2023 at 3:50 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 4:42 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I was confused about who I was calling. I was calling HMRC on the 0300 200 3500 number. In any case, I called back at 2:45 pm UK time today. It was an hour and 10 minute wait for me too. The person I spoke too could only tell me to fill in a CF38 since I have not contributed Class 2 before. It will take 25 weeks to process!! But if they rule in my favour I can still pay. They also tried to connect me to the Future Pensions Centre for questions about gaps in payment but they didn't answer (it was supposed to be just a couple of minutes). So, now I get to call the Future Pensions Centre at 0800 731 0175.
That sound like they have sped up processing, I submitted my CF38 back in January 2019 before CV19 was a factor and it took over a year to get approval for class 2 in 2020…
Old Mar 11th 2023, 4:24 am
Just Joined

I am completing the CF38. Question 18 asks about employment. Specifically the notes ask for:
  • the dates of paid or unpaid leave in the UK or overseas
Is this asking for all holidays ever taken over all the years I have been in the USA? I am not sure what they are getting at?
Old Mar 11th 2023, 5:36 pm
Furby

I am completing the CF38. Question 18 asks about employment. Specifically the notes ask for:
Is this asking for all holidays ever taken over all the years I have been in the USA? I am not sure what they are getting at?
I would guess they mean time when you were on a leave of absence, still employed but not actually working. Perhaps a sabbatical, maternity leave, furloughed, Short or Long Term Disability in the US, etc. I don’t think they mean holiday/vacation. That is how I would answer the question.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be asking for this, and it comes after it asks for details of any UK employers, so it might be trying to determine if you should be paying regular NI. I don't see how it will cause you a problem if you've only worked for US companies provided you have no gaps in employment, whereupon class 2 may no longer apply. If it was me, I wouldn't remember all the dates, and if I don't know them I'm sure no-one else will either, so I don't see how they can verify your answer.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow Girl and tdrinker, thanks for your answers.

Originally Posted by tdrinker
It seems to be asking for this, and it comes after it asks for details of any UK employers, so it might be trying to determine if you should be paying regular NI. I don't see how it will cause you a problem if you've only worked for US companies provided you have no gaps in employment, whereupon class 2 may no longer apply. If it was me, I wouldn't remember all the dates, and if I don't know them I'm sure no-one else will either, so I don't see how they can verify your answer.
Interesting, why would gaps in employment be an issue? I have been continuously resident in the USA for 28 years with just occasional short holidays to the UK and other places. Still seem to me like I was employed immediately before leaving and should be able to contribute for years when employed.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you have to be employed / self employed before and after leaving the UK for class 2 to apply, so ceasing to be employed could be a problem although it may depend on the gap in employment.

Good luck supplying the dates for 28 years' of holidays ... If you just supplied employers' names, with none of them being UK companies, I can't believe they'd revert and ask for holiday dates.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 7:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
I would guess they mean time when you were on a leave of absence, still employed but not actually working. Perhaps a sabbatical, maternity leave, furloughed, Short or Long Term Disability in the US, etc. I don’t think they mean holiday/vacation. That is how I would answer the question.
Agreed, I read Prog1's question, and wasn't sure how to respond, but didn't notice the specific choice of word, so yeah, I think the question relates to "leave" and not holidays (usual UK word for a few days/ couple of weeks of paid time off work, aka "vacation" in the US).

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 11th 2023 at 7:50 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

Sorry - my typo has created a bit of confusion I think. I was talking about CF83 (Application to pay National Insurance contributions abroad) not CF38 The help-form is NI38 (just to add to the confusion, and perhaps why my fingers got mixed up).

Old Mar 13th 2023, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Does anyone know the Class 2 rates for 2016/17 to 2022/23?

The Class 3 rates are shown in my NI record and have been uprated to the current rate for years before the current and previous two years. Are the Class 2 rates uprated the same way?

Class 3 Rates: as of 2023-03-11
Tax Year Yearly Weekly Historical
2022 2023 824.20 15.85 15.85
2021 2022 800.80 15.40 15.40
2020 2021 795.60 15.30 15.30
2019 2020 824.20 15.85 15.00
2018 2019 824.20 15.85 14.65
2017 2018 824.20 15.85 14.25
2016 2017 824.20 15.85 14.10

For reference there is an HMRC document out these called "table-a4.ods" that list all the historical rates. Just Google it to find it.
Old Mar 13th 2023, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Just talked to HMRC again. I was told the CR83 needs to be in by April 5th. The payment deadline is 31st July. Previously they also told me that payment could be after that date if the are still processing your case (which they will be).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.