Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Nov 23rd 2021, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by classicmds
yes i have this statement. My question is can you specify which years you are paying? If so, how?
Two ways :

1. Call them and say you are spending in payment for a specific year, they will set up a 'receivable' and apply your payment when received.
2. Or, and I think more efficient, send in your payment then wait two or three weeks call them and they will apply the payment to whichever year you want, as long as not older than 6 years. Half the time they will apply when on the phone, and will show up in your HMRC online account the next day- though rest of time might take a few weeks.

This is assuming you are banking by bank transfer.

They could care less which year you want to pay.
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 11:38 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by classicmds
I just registered for overseas rate for voluntary contributions. If I send in money to pay for missed years to date, does it have to be applied sequentially, earliest year first, or can you pick years?

The first missed year was one where I was still in UK and worked half year after college - so I have $800 or so shortfall. Then after that all missed years are while overseas so at overseas voluntary contribution rate. In other words, if I sent in a check for the 10 overseas years, it would mostly all get eaten up by that first year in the UK. Is there a way to specify which years you are paying for?
If you have 10 years missing after the $800 shortfall (is this not in GBP?) you should only be eligible to pay 6, maybe 1 or 2 more years depending on the timing of those so your half year from college should not create an issue anyway. When I made 6 years worth of payments I sent 6 separate payments each for the amount the letter listed for each year. I have had to contact them every year to have it “matched” to my NI number. That maybe because I am paying from a UK bank account.
Old Nov 25th 2021, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just checked and my 2020-2021 payment still isn't showing. I sent the payment May 3rd - ~2 weeks after you. Yours showed up around August 6 - over a month ago now. Do you think it's worth giving them a call? Do you think it was your call that 'fixed' it, or was that a coincidence? You said 'phoning definitely speeds things up'; did you really mean that or were you joking? I notice their 'help line' hours are now published as being open until 3:30pm, which means 7:30am my time (Pacific). Given the long wait times, that may suggest I need to start calling around 6:30am ... which is not my preferred way to start the day
Thanks for the 'midnight' tip - I'm much, much more functional at midnight than I am at 6am . It's midnight right now and I haven't even done the dishes yet, and have an hour or two of TV watching ahead of me! I never was a 'morning person' ...
I never did quite manage to make that late night call . Today I checked online, and the year 2020-2021 has gone from 'Your record for this year is not available yet' in September to 'Year is not full'. The expanded explanation for 2020-2021 is now 'We are checking this year to see if it counts towards your pension. We’ll update your record when this is finished, you do not need to do anything.' And now, my Summary document has gone from saying my maximum pension will be 134.90 GBP/mo to 129.76 GBP/mo. So I guess I really do need to call and find out what happened to my 2020-2021 payment!
Old Feb 15th 2022, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I never did quite manage to make that late night call . Today I checked online, and the year 2020-2021 has gone from 'Your record for this year is not available yet' in September to 'Year is not full'. The expanded explanation for 2020-2021 is now 'We are checking this year to see if it counts towards your pension. We’ll update your record when this is finished, you do not need to do anything.' And now, my Summary document has gone from saying my maximum pension will be 134.90 GBP/mo to 129.76 GBP/mo. So I guess I really do need to call and find out what happened to my 2020-2021 payment!
I was all set to finally call them tonight (it's only been 3 months since I posted the above!) but did a quick check online first, and ... ta da! ... the report now says 'Year is full', and my max pension is back to a projection of 134.90/wk (not /mo as I incorrectly noted above). So I made the bank transfer (from a UK bank) on May 2nd last year, and they FINALLY took care of crediting the payment correctly in Feb 2022! And I never did have to make that late-night call!
Old Feb 15th 2022, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I was all set to finally call them tonight (it's only been 3 months since I posted the above!) but did a quick check online first, and ... ta da! ... the report now says 'Year is full', and my max pension is back to a projection of 134.90/wk (not /mo as I incorrectly noted above). So I made the bank transfer (from a UK bank) on May 2nd last year, and they FINALLY took care of crediting the payment correctly in Feb 2022! And I never did have to make that late-night call!
congratulations!!
Old Apr 25th 2022, 4:09 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

HMRC mail arrived and for 2021-2022 tax year…

GBP 158.60 is the magic number….
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently looking at filling out CF83 for class 2 NI
Not sure what to put in part 1 About You - Your UK address part.

I have moved overseas already.
Do I put the address I was living at in the UK, leave it blank or put a forwarding UK address I use?
I assume blank or my old address?

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the form I filled in, but I put my US address. I get mail sent to me once a year to the US from HMRC
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I can't remember the form I filled in, but I put my US address. I get mail sent to me once a year to the US from HMRC
ok thanks
There is part 1 - UK address
part 2 - you address abroad.
I assume you leave one blank depending on whether you have moved or not yet.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
I'm currently looking at filling out CF83 for class 2 NI
Not sure what to put in part 1 About You - Your UK address part.

I have moved overseas already.
Do I put the address I was living at in the UK, leave it blank or put a forwarding UK address I use?
I assume blank or my old address? .....
The form wasn't clear, as I remember it, but I seem to remember putting in my last UK address on the form (which I no longer had any connection to), as that seemed to be what they were asking for, and then giving my new US address.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2022 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked my CF83, for Part 1 I put my last UK address, for Part 2 I put my current US address, and this is where all correspondence goes.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the format HMRC uses to send mail to me, it's a bit strange but my mail gets here
Mr F Benn
123 Ne 1st Av
Renton
Wa98123
Usa

I also signed up for online access, which makes life a lot easier
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
I just checked my CF83, for Part 1 I put my last UK address, for Part 2 I put my current US address, and this is where all correspondence goes.
Thanks - just a bit worried about putting my old address there in case they send anything out to the UK address - you never know with HMRC!
Maybe if I put my old address I should clarify on a side note
Old Jun 24th 2022, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alfista1
Thanks - just a bit worried about putting my old address there in case they send anything out to the UK address - you never know with HMRC!
Maybe if I put my old address I should clarify on a side note
I called them and kept detailed notes - here's my note relevant to this:

Box 3 - UK address - can I leave blank, as I don't have one? CAN LEAVE BLANK.

On the actual form, I put 'N/A'.

It worked out fine for me.

Old Jun 24th 2022, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I called them and kept detailed notes - here's my note relevant to this:

Box 3 - UK address - can I leave blank, as I don't have one? CAN LEAVE BLANK.

On the actual form, I put 'N/A'.

It worked out fine for me.
Perfect thanks for that info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.