Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Oct 11th 2020, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
The UK is ahead of the US. Their daytime is late night / morning for us.
Oops! I went back and forth so much past 2 years that I lost track of which way the clocks worked

So it's much worse! They will call you when you are in bed!
Old Oct 11th 2020, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
So it's much worse! They will call you when you are in bed!
Exactly. Just like the MIL.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea View Post
Following advice from this thread, I downloaded a form, and mailed it off. Worth doing since I am able to top up using the cheaper Class 2.
I have looked at the form, seems if one is in UK seeking to pay class 2 for prior years the questions do seem a bit confusing but i guess it is what it is, and some of information on past employers i do not have.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I just phoned the NIC enquiry line (they are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) to ask about the allocation of payments across the 11 years I've sent the contributions for. I was advised that I should call back in about 6 weeks and they will be able to make the manual adjustments while I'm on the phone. Just FYI for anyone else who is making backpayments for multiple years I used the 0300 200 3500 phone number as the outside the UK one didn't work.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I have looked at the form, seems if one is in UK seeking to pay class 2 for prior years the questions do seem a bit confusing but i guess it is what it is, and some of information on past employers i do not have.
They are very helpful when you call them. If you are in UK now, you have no time-zone challenges like we do. Just be prepared to wait a while on hold. Have the form on hand, line up all your questions clearly, and then when you finally get through, make the most of your time with them. Fill out as much as you can ahead of time, because sometimes, it's not apparent that you have a question until you actually put pen to paper and answer.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
When sending the CF83 form I would encourage you to send a cover letter setting out your employment history and explaining any information you do not have. I included a cover letter with a table to show all employers and dates for the final year I was in the UK (I was temping so had a lot of short term positions), as well as details of my employment since I have been in Canada. I also enclosed evidence for all of this (P45s for my final year of UK employment and a ROE and T4s for my Canadian employment since arriving in Canada). This made it easy for them to see that I met the criteria and I heard back pretty quickly (most of the time taken was mailing time).

Good luck!
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele View Post
When sending the CF83 form I would encourage you to send a cover letter setting out your employment history and explaining any information you do not have. I included a cover letter with a table to show all employers and dates for the final year I was in the UK (I was temping so had a lot of short term positions), as well as details of my employment since I have been in Canada. I also enclosed evidence for all of this (P45s for my final year of UK employment and a ROE and T4s for my Canadian employment since arriving in Canada). This made it easy for them to see that I met the criteria and I heard back pretty quickly (most of the time taken was mailing time).

Good luck!
Thanks, I was doing temp work too, so I have almost no records of my prior UK employment, and looking at the form it seems geared for someone about to leave. I guess I will call and see what they say.