Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Interesting that you chose to use 'ICW' in your ref. number; my letter had this instruction (basically, just use 'IC'): Presumably you saw a guidance somewhere to use 'ICW'.

With a 9 character NI number, and 2 characters for 'IC', that leaves only 7 characters for last name/1st initial, which is what they don't tell you here (but I did see this confirmed in other reference docs).

When I last looked online, after making the bulk catch-up payment, but before making any 'current' contributions for 1029/20, I saw that I have
21 years of full contributions
5 years to contribute before 5 April 2024
24 years when you did not contribute enough.

So that would suggest, if I make all the possible future payments, I'll have (21+5)= 26 full years. Another letter available online says this would give me 131.60 GBP/week. Works for me!
Just checked online; my recent payment was correctly credited for year 2019-20 despite all the messy 'reference numbers', and that gives me 22 full years, which translates to a pension of 111.57 GBP/week. If I make an additional 4 payments (the most I can make), I will get 131.59 GBP/week.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Today I had a letter telling me that they have noticed that I have not paid since October, despite having a Direct Debit set-up. They suggested that it could be their error, and apologized, and asked me to fill out the form again :-(
So thanks to their mistake I need the hassle of the paperwork again.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 32 years, hopefully only another 3 years to go unless they up the requirement to 40 years. The Government has a lot of money to find in the upcoming years. I do periodically check my contributions at https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...count/nirecord , however it does not show payments for the current tax year.

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 21st 2020 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 3:57 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian View Post
Today I had a letter telling me that they have noticed that I have not paid since October, despite having a Direct Debit set-up. They suggested that it could be their error, and apologized, and asked me to fill out the form again :-(
So thanks to their mistake I need the hassle of the paperwork again.
Some months back I got a letter advising a shortfall - due to their error, even though a direct debit was up and running. The letter gave loads of options of how to pay the arrears including an online payment option. No paperwork required - that would indeed have been annoying.