Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Wow just looked at my missed years and have to pay about 689 GBP for each one. That's not class 2 is it?
I was out of the country.
Can I change that amount to the class 2 amount?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by alfista1
Wow just looked at my missed years and have to pay about 689 GBP for each one. That's not class 2 is it?
I was out of the country.
Can I change that amount to the class 2 amount?
You have to apply to be allowed to make Class 2 contributions. You need to contact the DWP International Unit - they will send you a form to complete.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the form you need

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../NI38_CF83.pdf

but contact HMRC and maybe read this site.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think this is the form you need

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../NI38_CF83.pdf

but contact HMRC and maybe read this site.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad
Great thanks very much
Old Sep 1st 2017, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

So glad I found this thread...completely reminded me to get our NI38 forms submitted. On it today (did start this before but got distracted by all the info I had to compile).

One question in relation to the NI38 form that I could do with some advice on before I submit - don't want to say the wrong thing and have the form rejected with time so precious;

NI38_CF83, Question 11 asks, "How long do you intend to stay abroad?"

I am honestly not sure what to answer here as we will likely return to the U.K. for retirement, but are not 100% sure given children and all that. Any suggestions? If I just answer "undecided", will that cause a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FatFrank
So glad I found this thread...completely reminded me to get our NI38 forms submitted. On it today (did start this before but got distracted by all the info I had to compile).

One question in relation to the NI38 form that I could do with some advice on before I submit - don't want to say the wrong thing and have the form rejected with time so precious;

NI38_CF83, Question 11 asks, "How long do you intend to stay abroad?"

I am honestly not sure what to answer here as we will likely return to the U.K. for retirement, but are not 100% sure given children and all that. Any suggestions? If I just answer "undecided", will that cause a problem?

Thanks in advance.
On mine I just put "indefinitely". I would think if you expect to be here more than 7-8 years, do the same.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chawkins99
On mine I just put "indefinitely". I would think if you expect to be here more than 7-8 years, do the same.
Perfect, thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2017, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I called this morning. They confirmed they have received it but it has not been applied to my record yet. They said it would be done today.
Update:

The payment is still not showing online so I called them again.

"Because your account defaults to class 3 and you paid class 2, we had to send it to a case worker for processing. Should take about 15 weeks"

Don't you just love government bureaucracy?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

The payment is still not showing online so I called them again.

"Because your account defaults to class 3 and you paid class 2, we had to send it to a case worker for processing. Should take about 15 weeks"

Don't you just love government bureaucracy?
This happened with my wife earlier this year. She had completed the online form and mailed it off to pay NI contributions and these had been working just fine.

She then called to request paying back years as there didn't appear to be a form online to do this and many weeks later she got a letter from a case worker saying that her situation had been changed and she was now classed as an overseas worker paying Class 2. In response she wrote a detailed letter back explaining again what she had said on the phone, and that she had returned to the UK last year and has been paying Class 3 for the last several months and expected to continue doing doing so. She explained that she was asking to pay some missing years contributions and spelled out again the dates that she had been working overseas. A week later she got another letter indicating what the new monthly Direct Debit payments were changing to so she called them and explained again what she actually wanted and that she was not currently resident overseas. The person on the phone said he could see the letter she had sent a week earlier and would tell the case worker NOT to change the current payments and instead to look into the cost of the years back payments. We can't even complain that the call centre was out of country to explain the loss in translation when she made the request to make back payments.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

KURTZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Update: Spoke to 2 people today at HMRC and DWP and both stated that nothing yet is definitive re. NI payments after class 2 are abolished - which they did confirm as Apr 2018. There is a budget next month and maybe more info. will come from that?

I think I would hold off paying class 3 just for now until more info. is forthcoming.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the UK Government will listen to the OECD

The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development has said that the UK government should raise taxes for the self-employed and cut pensioner benefits in order to afford measures to boost weak productivity growth.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 6:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I wonder if the UK Government will listen to the OECD

The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development has said that the UK government should raise taxes for the self-employed and cut pensioner benefits in order to afford measures to boost weak productivity growth.
I don't!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't!
You don't listen , or you don't think?
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KURTZ
Update: Spoke to 2 people today at HMRC and DWP and both stated that nothing yet is definitive re. NI payments after class 2 are abolished - which they did confirm as Apr 2018. There is a budget next month and maybe more info. will come from that?

I think I would hold off paying class 3 just for now until more info. is forthcoming.
Are you thinking that there may be some sort of cheaper alternative instead of paying Class 3, or that Class 2 may be extended, or?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 6:30 am
Just Joined

KURTZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FatFrank
Are you thinking that there may be some sort of cheaper alternative instead of paying Class 3, or that Class 2 may be extended, or?
It's possible a cheaper alternative will be offered. Class 2 will definitely be abolished though. It's wait and see for now. Keep an eye on the budget for more definitive news.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.