Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Oct 11th 2020, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Owen778
The UK is ahead of the US. Their daytime is late night / morning for us.
Oops! I went back and forth so much past 2 years that I lost track of which way the clocks worked

So it's much worse! They will call you when you are in bed!
Old Oct 11th 2020, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So it's much worse! They will call you when you are in bed!
Exactly. Just like the MIL.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
Following advice from this thread, I downloaded a form, and mailed it off. Worth doing since I am able to top up using the cheaper Class 2.
I have looked at the form, seems if one is in UK seeking to pay class 2 for prior years the questions do seem a bit confusing but i guess it is what it is, and some of information on past employers i do not have.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I just phoned the NIC enquiry line (they are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) to ask about the allocation of payments across the 11 years I've sent the contributions for. I was advised that I should call back in about 6 weeks and they will be able to make the manual adjustments while I'm on the phone. Just FYI for anyone else who is making backpayments for multiple years I used the 0300 200 3500 phone number as the outside the UK one didn't work.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I have looked at the form, seems if one is in UK seeking to pay class 2 for prior years the questions do seem a bit confusing but i guess it is what it is, and some of information on past employers i do not have.
They are very helpful when you call them. If you are in UK now, you have no time-zone challenges like we do. Just be prepared to wait a while on hold. Have the form on hand, line up all your questions clearly, and then when you finally get through, make the most of your time with them. Fill out as much as you can ahead of time, because sometimes, it's not apparent that you have a question until you actually put pen to paper and answer.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
When sending the CF83 form I would encourage you to send a cover letter setting out your employment history and explaining any information you do not have. I included a cover letter with a table to show all employers and dates for the final year I was in the UK (I was temping so had a lot of short term positions), as well as details of my employment since I have been in Canada. I also enclosed evidence for all of this (P45s for my final year of UK employment and a ROE and T4s for my Canadian employment since arriving in Canada). This made it easy for them to see that I met the criteria and I heard back pretty quickly (most of the time taken was mailing time).

Good luck!
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
When sending the CF83 form I would encourage you to send a cover letter setting out your employment history and explaining any information you do not have. I included a cover letter with a table to show all employers and dates for the final year I was in the UK (I was temping so had a lot of short term positions), as well as details of my employment since I have been in Canada. I also enclosed evidence for all of this (P45s for my final year of UK employment and a ROE and T4s for my Canadian employment since arriving in Canada). This made it easy for them to see that I met the criteria and I heard back pretty quickly (most of the time taken was mailing time).

Good luck!
Thanks, I was doing temp work too, so I have almost no records of my prior UK employment, and looking at the form it seems geared for someone about to leave. I guess I will call and see what they say.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 4:45 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

ow long after payment has been made by bank transfer, does it take for the Government to update the website? Over 4 months later, and the payment is not showing.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
ow long after payment has been made by bank transfer, does it take for the Government to update the website? Over 4 months later, and the payment is not showing.
That seems a long time. Call them, they are really helpful, and can look at what happened and why.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
That seems a long time. Call them, they are really helpful, and can look at what happened and why.
​​​​​​
Yeah I would phone them. I paid by TransferWise and then phoned them two months after sending payment to check they received it and told them which years to allocate the payments to. She checked the amount and then told me she would transfer my file to the international caseworkers, with a processing time of about 6 weeks. A few.weeks later I checked online and the payments had been allocated correctly.

Old Apr 28th 2021, 2:45 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Never got around to phoning them, but I did receive a letter from HM Revenue & Customs telling me I qualify for the maximum permitted amount.

Logged onto their website to confirm that I have 35 full years of contributions, and the estimate for when I retire in 2034 is £179.60 per week. I don't qualify for the maximum since I did opt out for a few years.

Time to up my 401 contributions - just have to wait before I can join the company scheme.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just about enough to pay my property tax, insurance and a few months of electricity. Food is an inconvenient expense. I don't know how people survive without additional savings

Does anyone know if my voluntary contributions will automatically stop once I hit 35 years? If not how do I cancel the contributions?

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 28th 2021 at 3:14 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 4:27 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Got my class 2 payment request for 2020-2021 today, GBP158.60. New account details on the letter, checked them and they are the same as on the HMRC webpage. HSBC showed it as “Account not supported” but got it to send. 10 more years worth to go until I reach the max.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30

Does anyone know if my voluntary contributions will automatically stop once I hit 35 years? If not how do I cancel the contributions?
Yes, they should stop automatically after 35 years.

To be sure, if you are paying by Direct Debit from a UK bank you can always cancel it without asking DWP once your last payment goes out. DWP always send out a letter stating what the following year's monthly payments will be, and after 35 years those letters should stop.
Old May 1st 2021, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just planning to set this up. A couple of questions about form NI38 i.e. https://assets.publishing.service.go...NI38_12_17.pdf

Question 3 asks for UK address. Just leave this blank if already overseas?

Question 18 "Are you or will you be working abroad for an employer?" Does that mean a UK employer, or any employer?

Question 21: when you check "direct debit" does this mean that it authorizes direct debit every month from now on for tier 2 contribution? Or is there a further step to take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.