Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

DJClaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by Mclearg
Hi All, sorry to jump on this but I'm relocating to the US at the end of February and I'm keen to pay my NI contributions.
I am a total novice with all this Class 2, Class 4 etc but as stated in the thread title Class 2 is being abolished.

I've just realised/noticed that you can check your contributions online and I've discovered that I have not been credited for 3 of the 5 years that I was at University - a letter has been sent

Does anyone have a link to the UK Gov section for setting up these payments? or should I wait until I am in the US?

Any help gratefully received.
Another confused person here! I am self employed in the UK and currently pay none or very little tax as I do not clear the threshold on my rental property. I believe I have been making Class 2 contributions for about 3-4 years, before that I was employed full time. How can I see what I have paid in?

I am moving to the States in February and would like to continue to pay my taxes in the UK. Is that possible? Any recommendations for an accountant who understands both US and American systems? I will be in Connecticut.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:30 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by DJClaire
Another confused person here! I am self employed in the UK and currently pay none or very little tax as I do not clear the threshold on my rental property. I believe I have been making Class 2 contributions for about 3-4 years, before that I was employed full time. How can I see what I have paid in?
Access your personal tax account: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/personal-account

Originally Posted by DJClaire
I am moving to the States in February and would like to continue to pay my taxes in the UK. Is that possible? Any recommendations for an accountant who understands both US and American systems? I will be in Connecticut.
I suggest you open a new thread for this but basically you have to pay tax where you live and perform the work. For your rental income, you may have to sign up for the non-resident landlord scheme. Rental income will be taxed in the country where the property is located (UK) and where you're tax resident (US when you move), possibly with some tax credits to avoid double taxation.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610

Now to start thinking about my work based pensions and what to do with them
Create a new thread.

Long story short you're better leaving occupational pensions where they are and take payments when you retire, wherever you are.
Otherwise a nightmare of dodgy schemes/paperwork.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 6:42 am
Just Joined

gemini39 is an unknown quantity at this point

The decision to abolish Class 2 NIC was reversed.
Has anyone had experience of applying for their UK state pension from abroad? Thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
….. Otherwise a nightmare of dodgy schemes/paperwork.
And fees, lots of fees! ….. And you lose the protections covering pension savings under UK law. If only for the latter reason, I believe moving pension savings out of the UK is a truly terrible idea!
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 2:29 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I need to look at this again. Online shows 12 years of full contributions and 11 with not enough.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:36 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Guess I need to look at this again. Online shows 12 years of full contributions and 11 with not enough.
So I looked online and the volentary contributions shows the class 3 not class 2 amount for the last 6 years. I skimmed through the NI38 leaflet, I think I qualify, and it seems like I just need to complete and submit the CF83 form, is that right? Is there anywhere I can send it via email or does it have to go via the post, I did try calling but once I got through the menues it dropped me saying they were to busy. Any advise from someone who has done this recently woumdnbe appreciated.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

So I looked online and the volentary contributions shows the class 3 not class 2 amount for the last 6 years. I skimmed through the NI38 leaflet, I think I qualify, and it seems like I just need to complete and submit the CF83 form, is that right? Is there anywhere I can send it via email or does it have to go via the post, I did try calling but once I got through the menues it dropped me saying they were to busy. Any advise from someone who has done this recently woumdnbe appreciated.
I posted mine. Don't expect a quick response. It took 3-4 months to get mine back. Once you're approved, you'll get a letter detailing what back-payments you can make. These vary year to year so decide which ones to pay, total it up and CALL them. Tell them specifically which years you are going to send before you send them. If you have a UK bank account, you can pay online otherwise you'll need to send a wire transfer. Their account details are available on line and you specify your account details as a reference code with the transfer. Make sure you send enough to cover wire fees etc.

After you send payment, it takes several more weeks for it to appear on your account.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 6:06 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I posted mine. Don't expect a quick response. It took 3-4 months to get mine back. Once you're approved, you'll get a letter detailing what back-payments you can make. These vary year to year so decide which ones to pay, total it up and CALL them. Tell them specifically which years you are going to send before you send them. If you have a UK bank account, you can pay online otherwise you'll need to send a wire transfer. Their account details are available on line and you specify your account details as a reference code with the transfer. Make sure you send enough to cover wire fees etc.

After you send payment, it takes several more weeks for it to appear on your account.
If you have a UK bank account and a chequebook you can pay by cheque. The advantage is that you can provide a cover letter detailing exactly which years, what amounts, etc. I took this option and had no need to chase, correct, etc. how they applied the money to my account.

As noted though, settle in for a leisurely pace. They get there eventually.

If you apply to pay Class 2 going forward, that's another leisurely process until they are taking direct debit payments (if you have a UK account).

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:12 pm
tht

Originally Posted by celticgrid
If you have a UK bank account and a chequebook you can pay by cheque. The advantage is that you can provide a cover letter detailing exactly which years, what amounts, etc. I took this option and had no need to chase, correct, etc. how they applied the money to my account.

As noted though, settle in for a leisurely pace. They get there eventually.

If you apply to pay Class 2 going forward, that's another leisurely process until they are taking direct debit payments (if you have a UK account).

Good luck.
I have UK accounts and an old check book somewhere. I guess the best I can do is apply now, it looks like 2014-2015 is the first year with gaps which should give me time with the 6 year window. I also have a few years of contributions in New Zealand and Ireland so I need to do a little research on what I can do with those.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Mclearg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks, I've got the NI38 document and associated CF83 form - my question is should I be sending this in before I leave?

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:05 pm
tht

Hi Folks, I've got the NI38 document and associated CF83 form - my question is should I be sending this in before I leave?

Thanks
Did you read the NI38 document?

”When you tell us your ‘ordinarily resident’ status you must base this on your circumstances at the time you left the UK. This is important as it will help you to work out your correct National Insurance insurability position for your period abroad.”

If you have not left it seems like you would still be resident in the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Mclearg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht

Did you read the NI38 document?

”When you tell us your ‘ordinarily resident’ status you must base this on your circumstances at the time you left the UK. This is important as it will help you to work out your correct National Insurance insurability position for your period abroad.”

If you have not left it seems like you would still be resident in the UK.
I had read it but as I'm looking for advice I thought I would ask.
Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2019, 6:04 pm
tht

I had read it but as I'm looking for advice I thought I would ask.
Thanks
So did you come to a different conclusion about the above sentence when reading it?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, I left the UK on an L1 visa in September 2017.
The intention was that I would spend an undetermined period of time in the US (working for the US sister company of my employer), and return later.
I was still being paid through the UK up until end March 2018, so was paying income tax and NIC's in the UK.
In April 2018 I moved to the US payroll and started paying federal income tax, but was still paying NIC.

In August 2018 I got married to a USC, quit my job, and adjusted status to a US permanent resident.

My US tax position is up to date now (paid 2016 and 2017 US taxes) so I have a couple of questions.

1) How do I go about paying voluntary NIC to protect my UK pension (I currently have 22 years paid)?
I have looked at the N138 document but it is not clear to me as it states that I will have to have paid 52 weeks class 1, before I can pay class 2's or 3's...however as I have not been employed since August I dso not have 52 weeks paid up?

2) How do I go about claiming UK tax refunds against the 2016 and 2017 US tax I paid to the IRS?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.