Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Claiming Tax Detuctions

Claiming Tax Detuctions

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

nikadett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming Tax Detuctions

When I leave in the Summer my total stay will be around 11-12 months.

Between Federal Tax, State Tax, Social Security & Medicare I am losing over $3000 a month. I am single with no children or dependents so likely I won't be able to claim back anything.

Am I resigned to losing this or can I claim back expenses like relocation?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Tax Detuctions

Originally Posted by nikadett

Between Federal Tax, State Tax, Social Security & Medicare I am losing over $3000 a month. I am single with no children or dependents so likely I won't be able to claim back anything.

On what basis/visa were you in the US. Students on J-visas can claim back SS and Medicare.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

You need to provide more details. Are you British? What visa? Are you claiming a tax treaty?

You have two tax years - 2014 and 2015. You will need to submit a tax return for both. But this means the standard deduction will apply in both 2014 and 2015.

Did you work out your tax withholdings correctly?

Considering the amount of money involved I suggest talking to a CPA (not H + R block).
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

What gets taken out is basically your estimate of how much tax you will owe at the end of the year. There are hundreds of variables that will affect your tax liability, positive and negative. The tax you owe will be the tax you owe. If you overpaid then you will get a refund. If you underpaid you will owe money.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
You need to provide more details. Are you British? What visa? Are you claiming a tax treaty?

You have two tax years - 2014 and 2015. You will need to submit a tax return for both. ....
In most cases (states) there'll be a state tax return for each year too.
...... But this means the standard deduction will apply in both 2014 and 2015. Did you work out your tax withholdings correctly?

Considering the amount of money involved I suggest talking to a CPA (not H + R block).
I agree with this advice. With two part years, and the potential for filing dual status returns, the issues are numerous and potentially complex.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
For a J visa non-immigrant UK/Brit Citizen living in the USA (June 2014 until at least November 2015) ... When do I need to file my 2014 return by?

And has anyone used GLACIER Tax Prep ("GTP") to assist with the process of completing U.S. federal tax forms? I'm just awaiting the access code to use that from my sponsor (apparently I get that free to use)

Thanks very much
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
Hi guys,
For a J visa non-immigrant UK/Brit Citizen living in the USA (June 2014 until at least November 2015) ... When do I need to file my 2014 return by?

And has anyone used GLACIER Tax Prep ("GTP") to assist with the process of completing U.S. federal tax forms? I'm just awaiting the access code to use that from my sponsor (apparently I get that free to use)
Yes, I used GLACIER Tax prep back in 2004 and 2005. It was pretty easy and understands tax treaties.

You should do your tax return by the 15th April. As soon as you get the code just sit down and do them. It should be pretty straightforward.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

nikadett is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived here in October 2014 and will be leaving in September 2015.

I am a British national on a E3 Visa and my partner is on a J1 Visa. Being on a J1 it looks like she will get her SS back but will I be entitled to anything on my E3?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Yes, I used GLACIER Tax prep back in 2004 and 2005. It was pretty easy and understands tax treaties.

You should do your tax return by the 15th April. As soon as you get the code just sit down and do them. It should be pretty straightforward.
Well you were right... Got my code and done. Really easy and no tax to pay on the Federal side of things. I guess that's the benefit of being paid in GBP. There had to be a benefit... The exchange rate is not a benefit!

Just the State Tax website to find now (Glacier tried to send me there and the link is to "We've redesigned and broken our website! 404 Page Not Found")... Apart from that, Glacier was VERY easy to use. No headaches. I was not looking forward to it, but it was truly simple.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
Well you were right... Got my code and done. Really easy and no tax to pay on the Federal side of things. I guess that's the benefit of being paid in GBP. There had to be a benefit... ....
Being paid in GBP has no impact, or at least the impact will be very small depending on exactly how you apply the exchange rate(s).

It is reported that about 90% of individuals in the US get a refund when they submit their annual tax return, and most of those apparently like it that way and try to ensure that their tax withholding is sufficient to guarantee a sizable (four figure) refund. We try to get our taxes as close to balanced as we can; I hate the idea that I have been giving an interest-free loan to the Federal Government!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Being paid in GBP has no impact, or at least the impact will be very small depending on exactly how you apply the exchange rate(s).
For J1 holders with a fellowship paid from abroad sometimes the money they receive is not taxable. An example is the human frontiers science program. I know this because my friend got it (I did not - too many brits applying to go to the US) and he ended up with double my income for the same job. Grrrr.

I am not sure if this applies to Hanco, or they are simply using the UK-US tax treaty.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:08 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived here in October 2014 and will be leaving in September 2015.

I am a British national on a E3 Visa and my partner is on a J1 Visa. Being on a J1 it looks like she will get her SS back but will I be entitled to anything on my E3?
I though E3s were for Australians.

You won't get any income tax relief, but there night be something you can do on the payroll side of things is there is a reciprocal SS agreement in place....it depends on how you were employed......and then you'd probably have to pay the payroll tax to your domicile country.