Reload this Page >

Claiming J1 Tax Back

Claiming J1 Tax Back

Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

AFishbowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming J1 Tax Back

Hi there,

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't find any forum this would be obvious to post in.

Anyway. I have w-2 forms for both 2012 and 2013 with which I am eligible to claim tax back. I had begun the process with taxback.com as they had calculated that I would be eligible for nearly all of my tax back (around $1200). However, they've now told me I am only eligible for around $600 of it back, and from that they take $90 per application, leaving me with just under $450. Now they've told me this, I'd rather not lose $180 if it's a matter of just filling out some paperwork.

My question is: is it just some paper work? Is it a straightforward process to claim my tax back, or should I pay the money to have a professional take care of it? I'm ready to tell taxback "thanks, but no thanks" but would like to be sure I can do it myself first.

Thanks,

Rob.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Claiming J1 Tax Back

I did claim tax back for 2013 myself, by simply filling out f1040 form. I was a resident, I guess for you, you need a non-resident form. It comes with a good instructions pdf on how to fill it out.

It was simple.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of tax threads about, but might not be easy to find with the dodgy search.

Still, IRS website, download forms and info and away you go.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of IRS publication 519. People on J-1 I think can claim back social security on Form 843 but you have to be filing as a non-resident alien with form 8843. I think there are some differences between a J-1 student and a J-1 teacher, have a read of it: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

The IRS always blathers on about the substantial presence test but there are a huge number of exemptions from it, which is what form 8843 is for.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I had tried the search function but, as you said, it doesn't seem to be working so well. I'm going to begin the process today so hopefully it works ok!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can search it using google, just put site:britishexpats.com at the end of the search term.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I did find numerous threads on the matter, but most of them were for visiting scholars or people who were still in the States. Can anybody tell me what I'm classed as? Am I non-resident alien, or something else? It seems like I've been searching for a week but I still have no idea how to actually claim it back and I'm considering just paying the $150 to get it back.

Any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You would typically have been a non-resident alien as a J-1. Publication 519, linked above, talks about that, and what forms you need to file a tax return. BTW, if you are looking to claim *everything* back because you were J-1, I don't think you can do that after the fact.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a J1 and continue to be paid by the UK arm of the company whilst in the US training with the home company. I pay my PAYE each payslip from the UK, so that's me done isn't it? All to the UK tax man, and I don't need to be worried about US praxis returns as my income all comes in sterling as a non-immigrant who will be back to the UK in 18 months time? Yes?