Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Claiming British pension from USA?

Wikiposts

Claiming British pension from USA?

Old May 21st 2013, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Amaru82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming British pension from USA?

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice, my auntie has been living & working in the USA since 1995.

She's recently turned 60 and i'm wondering if she's entitled to her british pension?

I've had a look on the HMRC website and it seems to point towards retired ex pats living in the EU and countries which the UK has an "Tax Treaty" with being entitled to claim a pension.

Can anybody shed any light on this situation for me, does the US have a treaty with the UK and am i even looking down the right channel here?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming British pension from USA?

Welcome to BE.

There is a thread discussing this subject here.

She probably won't be entitled to a British pension for a couple of years. She can get an estimate of the amount and when she can draw it here.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:22 am
Just Joined

That's very helpful, thank you.

She's 60 though and that is pensionable age in the UK?

The mother in Law lives in Ireland now and she received it from her 60th birthday

Feel free to delete this now if necessary.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amaru82

The mother in Law lives in Ireland now and she received it from her 60th birthday
Is she British? If so the age has been pushed back...if she is 60 she will probably not be able to draw it for a couple of years. Use the link I gave you...it will tell you how much and when she is entitled to her pension.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amaru82

Feel free to delete this now if necessary.
The pension age for women is slowly being increased from 60 to 65. And then both are being increased to 67:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...e-pension-age/

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 21st 2013 at 8:30 am. Reason: duplication
Old May 21st 2013, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Ugh, what a disappointment.

Thanks for your help guys
Old May 21st 2013, 8:58 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If she can claim, just download the claim form, fill it in, and send it to the address on it. Took them 3 week to notify me I had been approved and the amount I would receive.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link that tells you everything.....
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-...d/how-to-claim

I'm just 62.... born in 1951, and I got my UK state pension a month before my 61st birthday.
They'll send it to your USA bank directly, and you don't get charged any transfer fees.

As Lansbury rightly said, it's an easy process, and doesn't take too long. The First thing you need to find out is at what age she's entitled to it, and if she's paid in enough years to claim the full pension.
Then, I think you can apply a couple of months before it's due.....Simple!!
Old May 22nd 2013, 2:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue

I'm just 62.... born in 1951, and I got my UK state pension a month before my 61st birthday.
They'll send it to your USA bank directly, and you don't get charged any transfer fees.

As Lansbury rightly said, it's an easy process, and doesn't take too long. The First thing you need to find out is at what age she's entitled to it, and if she's paid in enough years to claim the full pension.

It's every bit as simple as mamasue and Lansbury describe. I was oblivious to the fact I could claim and when I realized it and filed the forms (thanks, BE!) I was actually sent the pension backdated to when I became eligible.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone happen to know if you can 'combine' years worked in USA with years worked in the UK?
Old May 25th 2013, 8:37 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
anyone happen to know if you can 'combine' years worked in USA with years worked in the UK?
If you cannot claim a pension in one country because you don't meet the minimum requirements to do so, it is possible to transfer credits between schemes. The SS web site has details.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:01 am
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mamasue

Hello - I'm encouraged by your post! Did you have any UK tax taken out?

Thanks, just getting my ducks in a row!