Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Claiming Back Taxes Paid in UK

Claiming Back Taxes Paid in UK

Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road
Default Claiming Back Taxes Paid in UK

Hello , a colleague of mine has said that you can claim back taxes you've paid overseas providing that you didn't live in that country "x" amount of months that year. Does anyone have any idea what that "x" amount of months is? (For info, I'm an American citizen currently temporarily residing in the UK who has paid UK taxes for the last 3 years but will be coming home to the US very soon). Another issue of note is that the tax year in my place of work runs from April 1st - April 1st. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I did a search on Google for this and came up with nothing at all!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:48 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Back Taxes Paid in UK

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/

check it
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

P-85, takes a while, but they do pay out, easier to do when your still there, do to a local office, but can be done from over here too.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

The Inland Revenue site should answer your questions. The limit is something like 90 days - now that is either per year or over a three year period I can't remember which. Do you still pay tax in the US too - if so this will be your worldwide income so you may get something back from the UK, it is unlikely that you will get to pay no tax - they will catch you in at least one country!!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much all this is very helpful. I'm currently reading through 72 page document to determine if I am eligible.

Big D, yes, I've been quite the upstanding citizen and have filed a 1040 & 2555 EZ with the IRS for every year that I've resided/worked in the UK. You do get to exclude the US taxes providing that you are earning under $80,000 but still get to pay the UK taxes (lucky us).

This form says something to the effect of if you've got proof that you're permanently leaving the UK, then you can apply to claim back taxes paid in the UK. But I'm a bit confused because I can't see how you would be exempt from US taxes but then refunded the taxes you paid in the UK. You'd wind up paying no taxes in the end. Surely, it can't be that simple?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

you're right - it can't be that simple! Especially where the Inland Revenue are concerned!!

Good luck!