Reload this Page >

Claiming back tax on a J1 visa

Claiming back tax on a J1 visa

Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

lucelib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming back tax on a J1 visa

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I've had a good search, but can't seem to find the exact answer.

I worked in California last summer on a J1 visa, paying tax throughout my stay. I asked my employers a number of times about whether this was correct. They said it was, but I would be able to claim it back at the end of the tax year.

I'm not sure how accurate the information they gave me was (they don't usually employ J1s), but with this date fast approaching, I'm trying to find out how to claim it back. I've looked on google, but seem unable to get a definitive answer. Is it a case of simply filling in a couple of forms, or is it much more complex?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:32 pm
Banned

Baleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Claiming back tax on a J1 visa

The rules for this are not 100% straight forward but I will try to outline just how you can claim your J1 Taxes. In the US, there are 3 types of income tax, and on your wages slip you should can see up to 4 of the following deductions:

FICA (Social Security Tax, figured at 6.2% of the first $97,500 of wages)
Medicare (health insurance, can be separate depending on your provider, and is 1.45% of all wages)
State tax (taxes that go to the state you live in, some states don’t have this. Rates can vary)
Local tax (taxes that go to the local authorities, like your city that you live in. Rates can vary.)
Federal tax (taxes that go to the federal government, rates depend on your salary.

J1 visa holders are exempt from FICA (Social Security or Medicare) taxes for two years . This more than covers the length that a typical J1 student will stay in the USA. You need to make sure that you are registered as a non-resident. Once you are a non-resident you start to get an exemption on your deductions.On your wages slip you should see itemized deductions.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming this was the only time you have worked in the US. You should be exempt from social and medicare. Additionally, if you are British on a J1 you may be elligible for your Federal income tax back under tax treaty Article 20A.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

twodice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucelib
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I've had a good search, but can't seem to find the exact answer.

I worked in California last summer on a J1 visa, paying tax throughout my stay. I asked my employers a number of times about whether this was correct. They said it was, but I would be able to claim it back at the end of the tax year.

I'm not sure how accurate the information they gave me was (they don't usually employ J1s), but with this date fast approaching, I'm trying to find out how to claim it back. I've looked on google, but seem unable to get a definitive answer. Is it a case of simply filling in a couple of forms, or is it much more complex?
I used taxback.com when I had my J1 visa, got nearly all of it back and would recommend them to make it easier.

Last edited by twodice; Feb 7th 2012 at 8:49 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

lucelib is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm definitely eligible for a rebate.

Twodice, do you mind me asking how much taxback.com charged you?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

twodice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucelib
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm definitely eligible for a rebate.

Twodice, do you mind me asking how much taxback.com charged you?
They took 10%, but they also managed to get a lot more back than if i had done on my own and saved me alot of time. got medicare,state,fed tax back.