Civics test

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of
Angry Civics test

Hi guys. I am due to take the citizenship civics during the next few months. I appreciate that this sounds slightly pathetic, but I am having a little trouble trying to remember all of the one hundred possible questions. I do have a successful academic background but I am approaching 70 years of age and I am finding that my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. My question is - Is there any level of sympathy and understanding of my situation, or do I just hope that I get questions that can answer ! ?
Not looking for a way out, just wondered if there was any consideration for this.
Thank you for any advice in advance.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civics test

Lots of sympathy. The interviewing officer wants you to pass the test. He will ask easier questions if he finds that you are having difficulty with any of the questions he is asking you.

BTW 70 is not old (only a few more years for me to reach there) and you can remember what you are reading and/or listening to. Have someone quiz you or find some of the tests online and do them to see where our weak points are.

Be sure to come back and let us know how you did.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetW
Hi guys. I am due to take the citizenship civics during the next few months. I appreciate that this sounds slightly pathetic, but I am having a little trouble trying to remember all of the one hundred possible questions. I do have a successful academic background but I am approaching 70 years of age and I am finding that my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. My question is - Is there any level of sympathy and understanding of my situation, or do I just hope that I get questions that can answer ! ?
Not looking for a way out, just wondered if there was any consideration for this.
Thank you for any advice in advance.
You only need to answer 6 out of 10 questions to pass. Play the CD over and over and you'll eventually likely get to at least 60% proficiency.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Lots of sympathy. The interviewing officer wants you to pass the test. He will ask easier questions if he finds that you are having difficulty with any of the questions he is asking you.
My recollection of my test a couple of years ago was the officer had a preprinted sheet of the ten questions she was to ask. So i'm not sure they have leeway.

That said I also recall applicants over a certain age are excused certain questions, so there are less to remember. Check the booklet (over 65 AND pr for 20 years).

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jul 22nd 2013 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:14 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a page with exemption information:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HT...-Chapter2.html

There is a special consideration regarding age for the civics test but it's not specific about how the test changes, and you'd have to have lived here for a long time:

2. Special Consideration for Civics Test

An applicant receives special consideration in the civics test if, at the time of filing the application, the applicant is 65 years of age or older and has been living in the United States for periods totaling at least 20 years subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence.[2] An applicant who qualifies for special consideration is administered specific test forms.

Ah, later on it says:

An officer gives special consideration to an applicant who is 65 years of age or older and who has been living in the United States for periods totaling at least 20 years subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence.[12] The age and time requirements must be met at the time of filing the naturalization application. An officer only asks questions from the three “65/20” test forms when administering the civics test to such applicants. The test forms only contain 20 specially designated civics questions from the usual list of 100 questions.

So these won't apply to you as you've only been here five years, but I'm leaving the info up in case it helps someone in the future.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. Much appreciated. I didn't know that there is a CD available to use as a learning tool. I suppose I get in touch with the local office to ask about this, or is there a National information and resource center where this could be available to me ? Thanks again everyone.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. Much appreciated. I didn't know that there is a CD available to use as a learning tool. I suppose I get in touch with the local office to ask about this, or is there a National information and resource center where this could be available to me ? Thanks again everyone.
They usually hand out the CD at your biometrics appointment. Have you gone to that yet?

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Not yet Rene. I don't qualify until March so I will apply around December within the application qualifying period. I know it sounds far off, but I didn't want to start to learn the 100 question/answers feeling under pressure ie leaving it late to start learning. I just have a very slight paranoid feeling because it has been some years since I studied anything academic or educational.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet Rene. I don't qualify until March so I will apply around December within the application qualifying period. I know it sounds far off, but I didn't want to start to learn the 100 question/answers feeling under pressure ie leaving it late to start learning. I just have a very slight paranoid feeling because it has been some years since I studied anything academic or educational.
First thing to do is relax and realize the questions are not hard and they aren't trying to trick you. Some of them are stupidly easy like identifying an ocean on the west coast, what color the flag is, who is the president. Repetition with someone else to help is good.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos to you for thinking ahead! If my immigrant husband, who spoke/read/wrote very little English could pass the test, I'm sure you can do it. This was before they had a pre-made CD to learn from; I personally recorded myself asking and answering all 100 questions on tape, for him to listen to over and over. Each week, we picked 10 new questions to work on, plus reviewing the previous ones. Within 10 - 12 weeks he memorized all 100 questions/answers.

Our trick/secret was to go through all the 100 questions first, with me translating the meaning. Each question has several possible answers, and we decided ahead of time which answer was easiest for him to memorize, and stuck with just that answer. That took out a lot of work for him, not having to memorize 5 answers to each question, for example.

You can do it!

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Again to repeat, relax. I strongly believe that the officials pitch the level of questions at what they perceive the ability of the candidate. So for you, there will be an accommodation. Plus with all these processes, it helps greatly to be super polite, respectful and nice. The rest is easy.

Remember lots of people do this as a second language test. The bar isn't set too high. A lot of the questions are common knowledge.

The CD is a very good way to passively listen and learn. Just do some homework every day (read the book, listen to the CD, get someone to test you) and you will be fine. My local adult school as many across the country does a class for preparing for the test. a good way to meet others in the same boat from all over the globe and reinforce the learning process.

I expect there are lots of online practice tests too

hhttp://www.test-guide.com/free-citizenship-practice-tests.html

You will pass.

Last edited by Caruthers; Jul 22nd 2013 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

There are several sites with free flash cards and MP3 downloads. The following are a couple web sites.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1Edition&hl=en

http://www.welcometousa.gov/Immigrat..._materials.htm
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your great advice and kind comments, I didn't think about just learning a single answer to satisfy the question. I was trying to remember all the multi answers. Its so obvious when you pointed this out Rene. Thanks again everyone.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
My recollection of my test a couple of years ago was the officer had a preprinted sheet of the ten questions she was to ask. So i'm not sure they have leeway.

That said I also recall applicants over a certain age are excused certain questions, so there are less to remember. Check the booklet (over 65 AND pr for 20 years).
Yeah, my questions were read from a ratty photocopy that looked like it had been used for years. The questions were among the easier and more obvious ones.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit (and I've said this before) I am shocked at how easy the questions are. Apart from the state officals questions (3/100) I could answer all of them right off the bat - and I'm no scholar of American history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.