British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which City (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/city-500384/)

palmtree Dec 17th 2007 10:14 pm

Which City

Which cities would you recommend for a young family, most importantly low crime and with good schools, an area with no too much prefab housing and not rural.

AlienUk Dec 17th 2007 10:20 pm

Re: Which City

Originally Posted by palmtree (Post 5678594)
Which cities would you recommend for a young family, most importantly low crime and with good schools, an area with no too much prefab housing and not rural.

Eden

fatbrit Dec 17th 2007 10:22 pm

Scunthorpe or Rotherham.

ugacrew Dec 17th 2007 10:24 pm

Believe it or not I would recommend Tulsa, OK. I used to live there and at the time I thought it was shit. I moved there after my freshman year in high school and was very resentful of it. However looking back the city is a perfect place to raise a family. The cost of living is pretty low. There are three awesome school districts, Jenks, Broken Arrow, and Union (that's where I went). The area is large enough to serve but small enough to care. At this time there is tremendous growth happening in the southern part of the city where I used to live. The housing doesn't look too prefab. It looks strong and steady. I was hard pressed to find cookie cutter thin-walled housing. I'd give it a look.

fatbrit Dec 17th 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5678617)
The housing doesn't look too prefab. It looks strong and steady. I was hard pressed to find cookie cutter thin-walled housing.

There's a reason for that...

http://www.greatdreams.com/weather/t...ahoma-1999.jpg

Ray Dec 17th 2007 10:27 pm

Winner South Dakota

Or could you narrow it down to a particular State ...

ugacrew Dec 17th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5678625)

Shhhhh! I didn't want to scare them. Just don't tell'em they don't have basements either. :D

fatbrit Dec 17th 2007 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5678631)
Shhhhh! I didn't want to scare them. Just don't tell'em they don't have basements either. :D

Does anybody want to ask about visa/status? Or would that be off topic?

Ray Dec 17th 2007 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5678636)
Does anybody want to ask about visa/status? Or would that be off topic?

I think thats my job ... lol

fatbrit Dec 17th 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5678640)
I think thats my job ... lol

Nobody else dare.

palmtree Dec 17th 2007 10:37 pm

Do not have a choice of a state but want to avoid those near the sea side especially in the South, Fear hurricanes

Ray Dec 17th 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by palmtree (Post 5678659)
Do not have a choice of a state but want to avoid those near the sea side especially in the South, Fear hurricanes

So Florida is out ...

How do you feel about earthquakes, Tornado's and 20 ft of snow ...
and your visa being used is a ...

ugacrew Dec 17th 2007 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by palmtree (Post 5678659)

Oh hurricanes aren't bad. See we've got this organization called FEMA that'll help you out. They've done wonders:thumbup:

You know, no matter where you live in the US there will always be some kind of natural extreme natural element that you'll have to deal with on a regular basis. You just have to pick and choose. I completely understand the Florida thing. Ask Ray, he'll be able to give you more information about living in FL during hurricane season. As for the west you have wildfires, earthquakes, land slides, tidal waves (rare) on the coast, and rarely if you are in the Pacific Northwest you'll deal with volcanic action. In the Midwest we deal primarily with tornadoes and harsh winters. On the east coast you have hurricanes. On the northeast there are lake effect snow storms and nor'easters. The south of course has hurricanes as well and very hot humid summers. So you pretty much can't escape. However the good thing is that what I mentioned is seasonal.

P.S. Florida is the lightening capital of the world.

Ray Dec 17th 2007 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5678676)
Oh Ask Ray, he'll be able to give you more information about living in FL during hurricane season. .

After 10 years in Florida I have paid out $20 for a bit of screen ...
where a wayward branch went thru it ..
My wife after 57 years here has never paid out a penny ...

But the insurance sure ain't cheap now ...

Titchski Dec 17th 2007 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5678691)
After 10 years in Florida I have paid out $20 for a bit of screen ...
where a wayward branch went thru it ..
My wife after 57 years here has never paid out a penny ...

But the insurance sure ain't cheap now ...

Lucky bleeder! I had to replace a shingle one year :frown:

I was fortunate though, in that I lost my salt bucket top for my water system - but one got caught in my porch, that was a relief I can tell you.