British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Citizenship value (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/citizenship-value-931192/)

Englishman Abroad Feb 18th 2020 8:25 pm

Citizenship value

Hi all.

I am in a position to apply for citizenship. My question is should I? What are the tax ramifications on my UK pension holdings?

Can anybody advise?

Pulaski Feb 18th 2020 8:29 pm

Re: Citizenship value

Originally Posted by Englishman Abroad (Post 12808507)
.... I am in a position to apply for citizenship. My question is should I? What are the tax ramifications on my UK pension holdings?

Can anybody advise?

Presumably you're already a permanent resident, and have been for at least 3-5 years. .... So you are already subject to US taxes on your worldwide income and gains, and the tax ship sailed years ago - there are no additional tax ramifications of becoming a USC.

Englishman Abroad Feb 18th 2020 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12808511)
Presumably you're already a permanent resident, and have been for at least 3-5 years. .... So you are already subject to US taxes on your worldwide income and gains, and the tax ship sailed years ago - there are no additional tax ramifications of becoming a USC.

well, I have yet to access my pensions...I tried to get them out of the UK a few years ago to invest in an annuity, this fell on stoney ground..
wI'll I be taxed in both countries on any pension payout?

Pulaski Feb 18th 2020 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman Abroad (Post 12808512)
well, I have yet to access my pensions...I tried to get them out of the UK a few years ago to invest in an annuity, this fell on stoney ground.
Will I be taxed in both countries on any pension payout?

You may suffer withholding tax in the UK, but as a non-resident you can claim it back. You will be liable for US income tax .... unless the pension is as a result of working for national or local government in the UK, in which case you pay income tax on the pension in the UK and not in the US.

You cannot transfer pensions or pension funds between the UK and US - the pension regimes are incompatible, and in any case I would strongly advise anyone to not transfer a pension out of the UK, at least until they have retired and want/ need to draw on it.

BTW please go back and "Edit" your post to add the "E]" to the end of my post where you quoted it (after the " [/QUOT " ), and accidentally deleted those two characters, to straighten your post out. :)

SanDiegogirl Feb 18th 2020 8:43 pm

Don't you want to be an active participant in the country in which you live i.e vote?

Englishman Abroad Feb 18th 2020 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12808518)
You may suffer withholding tax in the UK, but as a non-resident you can claim it back. You will be liable for US income tax .... unless the pension is as a result of working for national or local government in the UK, in which case you pay income tax on the pension in the UK and not in the US.

You cannot transfer pensions or pension funds between the UK and US - the pension regimes are incompatible, and in any case I would strongly advise anyone to not transfer a pension out of the UK, at least until they have retired and want/ need to draw on it.

BTW please go back and "Edit" your post to add the "E]" to the end of my post where you quoted it (after the " [/QUOT " ), and accidentally deleted those two characters, to straighten your post out. :)

OK, so I need to keep all funds UK side. My state pension will pay into my UK bank account I presume? Will I need a UK mailing address too for tax purposes?

Pulaski Feb 18th 2020 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman Abroad (Post 12808524)
OK, so I need to keep all funds UK side. My state pension will pay into my UK bank account I presume? Will I need a UK mailing address too for tax purposes?

You can have your pensions, including your UK state pension, credited directly into your bank account in the US, and I would suggest that using a UK mailing address could complicate issues about proving where you actually live - in other words claiming to be US resident while using an address in the UK is going to muddy the issue.

Some people have their pensions credited to an account in the UK despite living in the US, others have them credited directly in the US. Either works, its just a personal choice. :)

Nutmegger Feb 18th 2020 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman Abroad (Post 12808524)

Your UK state pension can be paid directly into your US bank account, no UK address necessary.

Englishman Abroad Feb 18th 2020 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12808525)
You can have your pensions, including your UK state pension, credited directly into your bank account in the US, and I would suggest that using a UK mailing address could complicate issues about proving where you actually live - in other words claiming to be US resident while using an address in the UK is going to muddy the issue.

Some people have their pensions credited to an account in the UK despite living in the US, others have them credited directly in the US. Either works, its just a personal choice. :)

Dear gawds, is none of this stuff straight forward? I realise that Brexshit is seriously going to muddy the waters...and probably destroy the value of both mybstate and private pensions..

It look like the $700 for citizenship is a must have. I will proceed accordingly, thank you for your help and advice.

Pulaski Feb 18th 2020 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman Abroad (Post 12808530)
Dear gawds, is none of this stuff straight forward? I realise that Brexshit is seriously going to muddy the waters...and probably destroy the value of both mybstate and private pensions. .....

No. This has nothing to do with your question, nothing whatsoever. Brexit is not going to muddy any waters that has anything to do with what you asked, neither state nor private pensions.

Once the economic dust settles the pound is likely to recover from the pre-Brexit lows. At the moment the pound has stablized about 10% above the lows seen shortly after the Brexit referendum.

Englishman Abroad Feb 22nd 2020 4:04 pm

I sincerely trust that you are right. My partner and I have now decided that I WILL proceed with my application in the next few days.

Thank you for your reassurance.

Steerpike Feb 22nd 2020 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12808511)

But as a PR, can't you simply 'abandon' your status - leave the country, etc - and not pay US taxes, whereas, as a citizen, you are legally required to pay taxes even if you never set foot in the US again?

Pulaski Feb 22nd 2020 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12810310)
But as a PR, can't you simply 'abandon' your status - leave the country, etc - and not pay US taxes, whereas, as a citizen, you are legally required to pay taxes even if you never set foot in the US again?

I think :unsure: there is an intermediate step, after 8 years??? as a PR, where you cannot just end your PR status by just walking away from it.