British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Citizenship / UK Passport Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/citizenship-uk-passport-question-446229/)

tonyoci Apr 30th 2007 8:21 pm

Citizenship / UK Passport Question

Hi all, new poster here:

I've been living in the US for 15 years now with a Green card for the last 7. I am married to another Brit and we have 2 children both born here in the US.

I am considering becoming a US Citizen, but I don't really know why.

Questions:

* What are the primary practical advantages of becoming a citizen

* What is the situation regarding my UK passport. Can I keep it and travel around Europe on it, in and out of the UK on it etc ?

Thanks for the help.

Tony
<<snip>>

Bob Apr 30th 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Citizenship / UK Passport Question

Originally Posted by tonyoci (Post 4719679)
Questions:

* What is the situation regarding my UK passport. Can I keep it and travel around Europe on it, in and out of the UK on it etc ?

Check the wiki faq above, loads of reasons and all that and answers.

Welcome to BE though.

danfan Apr 30th 2007 10:19 pm

In addition to the good wiki faq, have a look at the answers I got when I asked a similar question - lots of varying answers.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433703

franc11s May 1st 2007 12:00 pm

For me mainly, was that my kids were reaching the 18 years of age and I wanted them to have the freedom to travel between Europe and USA to work for the rest of their lives - EASILY. For them now, and their own future families, they are Dual citizens.

The next main positive for me was that I did not want to jeopardize ever having to give up citizenship opportunity if we were forced to move back to the UK for 2+ or more years, which typically triggers loss of green card. I want the freedom of choice to flip whereever - whenever - now I have that. Same as kids.

The risk for them is Selective Service (i.e. they could be called up) - if you see that as a risk or necessity!

Of course, NEVER having to deal with USA BCIS ever again was a big PLUS :)

Elvira May 1st 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 4722778)
...The risk for them is Selective Service (i.e. they could be called up) - if you see that as a risk or necessity!:)

All males 18-26 who are not here on non-immigrant visas have to register for SS. Not doing so could delay naturalization, and also represents a bar to getting financial aid for college.

franc11s May 1st 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4722799)
All males 18-26 who are not here on non-immigrant visas have to register for SS. Not doing so could delay naturalization, and also represents a bar to getting financial aid for college.

Sorry, I was indicating what happens once you get citizenship - you can be called up (18-26).. but good to clarify., Thanks.

Elvira May 1st 2007 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 4722826)
Sorry, I was indicating what happens once you get citizenship - you can be called up (18-26).. but good to clarify., Thanks.

But anyone who is registered with SS can be called up.... citizen or not... even illegals!

franc11s May 1st 2007 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4722831)
But anyone who is registered with SS can be called up.... citizen or not... even illegals!

Ahh, but cannot they then not just leave the country? Citizens cannot leave the country in the same way... Or am I splitting hairs?

Elvira May 1st 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 4722844)
Ahh, but cannot they then not just leave the country? Citizens cannot leave the country in the same way... Or am I splitting hairs?

It would be a 1-way ticket either way I guess... but it's handy having a place to go to! :)

jaytee May 1st 2007 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by tonyoci (Post 4719679)
Hi all, new poster here:

I've been living in the US for 15 years now with a Green card for the last 7. I am married to another Brit and we have 2 children both born here in the US.

I am considering becoming a US Citizen, but I don't really know why.

Questions:

Thanks for the help.

Tony
<<snip>>

probably the foremost reason, is that you are free to come and go as you please without abandoning your status as a PR. Judging from this discussion board, a lot of expats don't stay in the US for the rest of their lives, so this is a really important reason to become a citizen (and for the sake of your children).