Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship timeline

Citizenship timeline

Old Feb 12th 2002, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't had much luck finding the answer to this question, perhaps because the scenario doesn't occur that often.
If a spouse to a US citizen receives her greencard and then the couple goes back to her country to live thus either surrendering or abandoning the greencard and then years down the road the couple applies for a new greencard to move back to the US would the first permanent residency apply towards the 3 years needed to apply for citizenship?

This is a scenario we have been considering for some time. We're not as concerned about the wait to get the greencard again because should we be living in the UK together we could do Consular filing through the "INS in London" which I understand is a short 1-2 month waiting period. But we're worried the 6 months to 1 year she will have accrued with the greencard she has right now might be forfeited. Our lawyer's assistant tells us that we would lose this permanent residency period. Has anyone experienced this or has any legal insight into this?
Thanks.