Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship status with social security - how to check?

Citizenship status with social security - how to check?

Old Jun 23rd 2022, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

temple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship status with social security - how to check?

Hi folks,

Anybody know if this status is displayed somewhere within MYSSA (or any other place online)? I naturalized about 20 years ago, but have no clue if my SS account reflects this, or still has me down as a non-citizen.

I've hunted for the status online, with no luck, and of course it's impossible to speak to somebody on the phone. Perhaps a visit to my local physical office is the only option?

Thx in advance!
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 6:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship status with social security - how to check?

Originally Posted by temple
Hi folks,

Anybody know if this status is displayed somewhere within MYSSA (or any other place online)? I naturalized about 20 years ago, but have no clue if my SS account reflects this, or still has me down as a non-citizen.

I've hunted for the status online, with no luck, and of course it's impossible to speak to somebody on the phone. Perhaps a visit to my local physical office is the only option?

Thx in advance!

I never bothered to update my citizenship status with the SSA, which necessitated a visit to the local office when time to start collecting loomed. Unless things have changed over the last few years, you will have to drop in with your documentation.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 6:57 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I recently did this after being in the country for 22 years and a citizen for 15.
It is up to you to inform the SSA office, I first spoke on the phone, it all seemed pretty easy.
She assured me I would keep my SS # and everything would be appropriately updated after the interview.
I'm not sure the reason that you would do this, but she implied it could affect my SS and pension benefits. I could find no information online to this effect.

Attended the interview, very easy handed over my forms as requested. Took all of 15 mins.
Would you believe it, a new SS card arrives 2 weeks later. I now have 2 numbers

Back on the phone, yes the office made an error. No they cannot change it. I have to continue to use my original number but keep the other safe for the rest of my natural.

Not really impressed. I'm sure this is going to bite me in the ass one day.

Old Jun 23rd 2022, 6:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Nutmegger - I had an SS card that had been mistakenly over-stamp in red that it was "only valid for work with authorization" (which I learned a decade after I became a citizen that that wording should never have been on my SS card even before I became a USC). Anyway, like Nutmegger, I had to make an appointment at the local SS office and take documents to verify my status as a USC so that my citizenhsip status could be updated and I could be issued with a new SS card. It was a fairly short and pleasant meeting.
Originally Posted by excpomea
... , a new SS card arrives 2 weeks later. I now have 2 numbers ....

Back on the phone, yes the office made an error. No they cannot change it. I have to continue to use my original number but keep the other safe for the rest of my natural. ....
That's a saleable asset you have there!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2022 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by temple

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that if the website will allow you to order a replacement card the SSA have you recorded as a US citizen because non citizens can't do it online.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a good idea to visit a SS office with US passport and or Naturalization Certificate in hand. We never did this and over 20 years later when we applied for SS we had to prove that we were US citizens even though you don’t have to be a USC to receive it, it was simply that the SSA did not have us registered as being USCs. We were back in England at the time so had to send our US passports into the FBU at the US Embassy in London. 2 weeks later we received new SS cards, same SSN numbers fortunately. We still have our old SS cards which look no different at all to our new cards.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

temple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olly_
I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that if the website will allow you to order a replacement card the SSA have you recorded as a US citizen because non citizens can't do it online.
I doff my cap to you sir. The order new card link on the SSA website allows me to proceed, but does indeed give my wife the finger with a “you are a non-citizen…..” message.

Good news for me. For her, not so much

Old Jun 23rd 2022, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to be of assistance!