Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship question

Wikiposts

Citizenship question

Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:39 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
There are all sorts of reasons why people might want citizenship. It's not just about "being done with the INS."
Originally posted by PA
I am just thankful that it is a "done deal" ... that the whole sorry painful saga is done with
I was going off PA's reasoning.

My point is I can live here, work here, enter and leave here as it is. What difference does having a blue passport have?
If I don't feel like an American, I am not gonna go through a ceremony just for the sake of it, or just because I am eligible.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road

My main reason for wanting citizenship is that unless I have it I can't go back to live in Britain for a while. They'll consider that me relocating and take my greencard from me. If I could do that and always have my greencard (think it used to be you only had to be in the country one day a year or something) then I'd not be as concerned with citizenship. It's a good thing you don't have to renounce your British citizenship too ... I'd never do that.
I'll always consider myself a Brit first and foremost but I do love America too and the opportunities it has given me. Plus I would like the opportunity to vote ... even if it does seem like such a small thing.

Originally posted by manc1976
I was going off PA's reasoning.

My point is I can live here, work here, enter and leave here as it is. What difference does having a blue passport have?
If I don't feel like an American, I am not gonna go through a ceremony just for the sake of it, or just because I am eligible.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:57 am
Franklin

I find the whole citizenship thing a little trivial, and I do comprehend it is all about personal choice.

My own feelings are is "being done with the INS" a serious enough reason to take out US citizenship?
No I don't think it is.

Whilst I respect and stand for the national anthem, I do not sing it at sporting events, or whenever else I am present when it is played.

I do not participate in the pledge of allegence with my family. I would feel funny doing it because I am not an American.

I do not feel I am American and until I do so, which may be never, I could never take an oath for something I would have no reason to aspire to.
I have no particular desire to become an American. I am a member of my community and contribute just as much being solely British.

My British passport is in a drawer in my office, and it serves no particular purpose other than to travel, and I feel that if I were to get a US Passport it would be just as irrelevant until I left the country.
That wasn't my reason to become a USC. Essentially, I relate more now to the American way of life. I'm still British but feel I relate to the notion of getting ahead regardless of what family one is born into; also, my future seems to be here and not in the UK, I just can't see myself going back to the UK to work, no way no how no sir. Since my future is here and I will need medicare etc. in my old age and it is a lot easier to get disability benefits (though they are not worth much) if you are a USC compared to being a GC holder. Given that I relate more to the way things are done here, the work ethic, the opportunities that exist here (even during a job recession) etc. etc.

For example (don't read too much into this example, I have lots of others ad nauseam), in the UK I would not have stood a cat in hells chance of becoming a lawyer who can argue a case on behalf of a client in a court of law.

I can grow here like I can't in the UK. It is what you make of it, but you can make it here. That's how it looks to me, and I have pretty much done what I set out to do, but plan to do more.

Also, I wanted to sponsor my mother for a GC so that she need not worry about returning to the UK to stay in compliance, I could do that because I am a USC. Also, I may want to work in the government in some sensitive areas in some part time capacity, which would be next to impossible but for the fact that I am a USC. I take my US citizenship seriously and I am prepared to die for this country. It is my home. I am loyal to the USA. I am also loyal to the UK and was willing to work in potentially dangerous sensitive areas. So I think of myself as American and British.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Feb 11th 2004 at 11:33 am.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

For me this question is (of course) moot. I was born in the US, so I'm stuck with my citizenship whether I like it or not. It just so happens that I like it quite a bit.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It's that little clause in the citizenship process where you have to swear to give up all allegiance to any other country that is a stumbling block for many Brits, I've found. I couldn't honestly take an oath on that premise- my first allegiance will always be to UK- and I've heard so many other Brits say the same thing over the years. I take oaths seriously. A PR can do most anything a USC can, except work for the government and vote, so its no great disadvantage. PA you can sponsor a relative with just a green card.

The biggest disadvantage of not being a citizen is when you die- they are going to tax the hell out of whatever you leave your kids. Also, I think- am not too sure on this- the surviving spouse, if a PR, may be taxed to hell too if they try to leave the country. It's to stop you taking your money out of the country.

You cannot ever be stripped of your British Citizenship- you have to formally renounce it in the presence of a British consulate to drop it. Unlike the US, who can strip you of US citizenship if you take out citizenship of another country.

BTW if you do naturalize and get a passport- you have to use the US passport to leave/enter the country. They can take it away from you if you don't.

Children born to a USC and a UKC are American by birth and British by descent automatically- you don't have to register them or anything. Our grandson and any other grandchildren we have automatically get dual citizenship too as our children were all born in UK. Lucky kids eh?

Last edited by Taffyles; Feb 11th 2004 at 11:07 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:19 am
Franklin

Another issue, the Congress can legislate and change the status of GC holders. Congress did something like this back in 1996. It is a LOT harder for Congress to play around with the status of US citizens.

As to sponsoring a parent for a GC, this was not available to me as a GC holder. I could only do that as a USC. Yes, you have to swear allegiance to the USA, but we can be dual citizens, the issue of holding dual citizenship has become somewhat moot. However, my first allegiance is to the USA, it changed to the USA when I took the oath. Since the UK and USA are so close, I don't see a conflict. Imho, we are like brother and sister. We have squabbles, but nothing permanent, "We are family." Certainly the UK is closer to the USA than, e.g., France and Germany.

Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

GoofyBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Margueriteuk
Re: US Citizenship question:

This is something I have not given much consideration as of yet. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Do I get to keep my UK citizenship and all that comes with it if I become a US citizen?

I can see US citizenship allows me to come and go from the USA as I please whereas now with my (Conditional) Green Card I may lose my right to return as a Permanent Resident if I am out of the USA for so many months in a year.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers, M
For some reason the UK will not allow a British subject to give up their citizenship so you will be a dual national.

I have lived in the USA (MONTANA) since September 1999 and I would give up my UK citizenship if I could.

To me I have found the perfect place to live, the American people are friendly and I feel a lot safer here than I ever did living in the UK.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by GoofyBrit
For some reason the UK will not allow a British subject to give up their citizenship...
That's not true.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, go in front of a British Magistrate and renounce.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

GoofyBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, go in front of a British Magistrate and renounce.
I was told that HRH would not allow any British subject to give up thier citizenship....... cant remember where I was told that but it was at an immagration office I think
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:17 pm
@matthewb76

I was told that HRH would not allow any British subject to give up thier citizenship....... cant remember where I was told that but it was at an immagration office I think
Nope, that's not true.
Not sure if you can do it at the Consulate in Chicago (I have no desire to look into such things)
But you can certainly make an appointment in front of any British Magistrate and formally renounce your citizenship.

The US immegration can't take the Brit passport off you as it doesn't belong to them.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/def...sp?PageId=1157
Old Feb 13th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have US citizenship or plan to take it out? I fail to see the need for you to renounce your UK citizenship since being a dual citizen of both countries is actually quite benificial. If you wish to remain in the US you may do so, as long as you are either a GC holder, or a US citizen.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:19 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally posted by swingin scot
3 years of marriage to a USC to be eligible for citizenship???

Is that correct? This August will be our 3 year anniversary, however, I didn't get my conditional PR status until the end of October 2002. Am I eligible for citizenship 3 years after our marriage (August 2004) or 3 years after I gained conditional PR status (October 2005)? I will be applying to have my conditions removed this July since you can do it 3 months before the 2 year period is up.

Any info would really be appreciated ... a tad confused with all the red tape here. Thanks

The requirement is residence so its three years from the day you entered and took up(or became) permanent resident status in the USA(whether conditional or not). You can apply for naturalisation up to 90 days before the date as well.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 5:32 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

I have yet to fully make up my mind about taking citizenship here. Although i probably will because i want to work in government, i would like to become an Assistant District Attorney eventually and most places require citizenship to get a job. There is also the fact that it lifts the affadavit of support liability that my father in law has towards me. Most importantly i want to take part in politics again and that requires citizenship.

Although the thought of actually swearing an oath that renouces my primary loyalty to Britain is hard to imagine right now and i certainly dont feel American yet. I suppose we shall see how time affects my sense of identity.

regards,

Duncan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.