Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship question

Citizenship question

Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:21 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Posts: 38
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship question

Hey all

I have a question regarding citizenship. I know you have to be a PR for a number of years before you can apply and if you marry that time is shortened slightly. I was wondering as my wife (American) gave birth to our beautiful first child last week whether it cuts the time down again or not ?

I'm sure the answer is probably that I still have to wait which means my new daughter gets joint citizenship before her father does

Let me know and also if someone knows the qualifing periods these days please post them

Thanks all

WC
Wildcat_1 is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:34 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
ScousePete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 1,264
ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

She is an American citizen because she was born in the States with a USC parent.

You can apply based on either:

1. 5 years as a PR
2. 3 years of marriage to a USC

Current processing times are just over a year from application to swearing in.

http://www.kamya.com/intro/natexp.html is a pretty good site detailing people's N-400 experiences.
ScousePete is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:42 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Posts: 38
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I'm still assuming she will get automatic British citizenship if I file for it, correct ?
Wildcat_1 is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:43 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Posts: 38
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Also how does the marriage thing work? I landed as a PR in 2001 and got married in 2002 so does this mean I qualify in 2004 or 2005 ?

Thanks

WC
Wildcat_1 is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:43 pm
  #5  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by Wildcat_1
I'm still assuming she will get automatic British citizenship if I file for it, correct ?
Your little girl will yes.
Manc is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 5:29 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 53
marlborobell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Wildcat_1
Also how does the marriage thing work? I landed as a PR in 2001 and got married in 2002 so does this mean I qualify in 2004 or 2005 ?

Thanks

WC
2005. You need to have been "living in marital union with" your citizen spouse for three years. (Immigration and Nationality Act section 319(a) )
marlborobell is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:05 pm
  #7  
100% Pure
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 1,185
DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by Wildcat_1
I'm still assuming she will get automatic British citizenship if I file for it, correct ?
Check this link out for answers to nationality questions and info about British consular services such as passports, registering births etc. We're about to go through some of this with our 5 week old daughter.

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/index.asp?i=109
DaveC is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:44 pm
  #8  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Wildcat, not being a nosey sod or anything, but are you in a rush to take the oath of something?
Manc is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:57 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Posts: 38
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

No nothing like that you nosey sod heheheh

Just wondered ig things had changed or if I needed to do anything sooner due to the fact I now have a daughter in this country etc, that was all
Wildcat_1 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:53 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 106
swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Citizenship question

3 years of marriage to a USC to be eligible for citizenship???

Is that correct? This August will be our 3 year anniversary, however, I didn't get my conditional PR status until the end of October 2002. Am I eligible for citizenship 3 years after our marriage (August 2004) or 3 years after I gained conditional PR status (October 2005)? I will be applying to have my conditions removed this July since you can do it 3 months before the 2 year period is up.

Any info would really be appreciated ... a tad confused with all the red tape here. Thanks


Originally posted by ScousePete
First of all, congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

She is an American citizen because she was born in the States with a USC parent.

You can apply based on either:

1. 5 years as a PR
2. 3 years of marriage to a USC

Current processing times are just over a year from application to swearing in.

http://www.kamya.com/intro/natexp.html is a pretty good site detailing people's N-400 experiences.
swingin scot is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:05 pm
  #11  
Franklin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally posted by swingin scot
3 years of marriage to a USC to be eligible for citizenship???

Is that correct? This August will be our 3 year anniversary, however, I didn't get my conditional PR status until the end of October 2002. Am I eligible for citizenship 3 years after our marriage (August 2004) or 3 years after I gained conditional PR status (October 2005)? I will be applying to have my conditions removed this July since you can do it 3 months before the 2 year period is up.

Any info would really be appreciated ... a tad confused with all the red tape here. Thanks



My understanding (but I might be wrong because I am not an immigration attorney and have no special legal expertise in this area) is that you have to be resident for three years in the US as a PR (to qualify as a spouse of a US citizen), and 5 years as a PR not married to a USC.

But check with an immigration attorney or the home defense people (former INS staff). I am just thankful that it is a "done deal" ... that the whole sorry painful saga is done with. It was a relief holding up my right hand and swearing in front of a Federal Court Judge along with a couple hundred other souls who went though the same long process to become a USC.
 
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:20 pm
  #12  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I find the whole citizenship thing a little trivial, and I do comprehend it is all about personal choice.

My own feelings are is "being done with the INS" a serious enough reason to take out US citizenship?
No I don't think it is.

Whilst I respect and stand for the national anthem, I do not sing it at sporting events, or whenever else I am present when it is played.

I do not participate in the pledge of allegence with my family. I would feel funny doing it because I am not an American.

I do not feel I am American and until I do so, which may be never, I could never take an oath for something I would have no reason to aspire to.
I have no particular desire to become an American. I am a member of my community and contribute just as much being solely British.

My British passport is in a drawer in my office, and it serves no particular purpose other than to travel, and I feel that if I were to get a US Passport it would be just as irrelevant until I left the country.
Manc is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:24 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 130
Margueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really nice
Default

Re: US Citizenship question:


This is something I have not given much consideration as of yet. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Do I get to keep my UK citizenship and all that comes with it if I become a US citizen?

I can see US citizenship allows me to come and go from the USA as I please whereas now with my (Conditional) Green Card I may lose my right to return as a Permanent Resident if I am out of the USA for so many months in a year.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers, M
Margueriteuk is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:30 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Waukee, Iowa
Posts: 1,583
CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default

Originally posted by manc1976
I find the whole citizenship thing a little trivial, and I do comprehend it is all about personal choice.

My own feelings are is "being done with the INS" a serious enough reason to take out US citizenship?
No I don't think it is.

Whilst I respect and stand for the national anthem, I do not sing it at sporting events, or whenever else I am present when it is played.

I do not participate in the pledge of allegence with my family. I would feel funny doing it because I am not an American.

I do not feel I am American and until I do so, which may be never, I could never take an oath for something I would have no reason to aspire to.
I have no particular desire to become an American. I am a member of my community and contribute just as much being solely British.

My British passport is in a drawer in my office, and it serves no particular purpose other than to travel, and I feel that if I were to get a US Passport it would be just as irrelevant until I left the country.
Some people want more of a stake in their adopted country - they may want the right to vote and have some say, however small, in how the country is governed. If you have an American child I would think this urge is all the stronger.

There are all sorts of reasons why people might want citizenship. It's not just about "being done with the INS."
CalgaryAMC is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:31 pm
  #15  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by Margueriteuk
Do I get to keep my UK citizenship and all that comes with it if I become a US citizen?

I can see US citizenship allows me to come and go from the USA as I please whereas now with my (Conditional) Green Card I may lose my right to return as a Permanent Resident if I am out of the USA for so many months in a year.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers, M

Yes on both accounts.
Who can take your British Citizenship off you?
Manc is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.