Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

citizenship price raising!

citizenship price raising!

Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:01 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship price raising!

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
No everyone lives in a 2,000 sq ft house, has a pool and a job paying in the high 5 figures or 6 figures.
Does anyone here? we certainly don't
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:17 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to interrupt, but I think the dates on this are a bit more fluid than some have stated.

From what I understand, the new rules were announced on Feb. 3. They will be printed in the Federal Register shortly and a 60 day public comment period will commence. After the comments are received and reviewed, a final notice of the new rule will be issued and go into effect.

Which means...what? Feb/March published. April May 60 day clock. Review and final rule as early as June (and new fees around then) or a few months later (or even a bit earlier). There really isn't much science behind final rule making. I've waited months for some to come out (in boring arcane areas of the federal register I won't bore you with) when we were told 'just a few days'

But my point is, the sooner you can apply--the better.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

No....I'm not paying any fee for my Citizenship to be done..at the moment it's $330 plus $70 for the biometrics.......we're very lucky to be able to afford it,my husband works at a State prison.........but you would not believe how many people he works with who,literally,live paycheck to paycheck,mainly because they buy mortgages they really can't afford,brand new vehicles,that cost more than our house,and run up hugely,frightening credit card bills!.......there's been a few who think we're 'tight',but we're not,we pay cash for just about everything we buy.....we've got plenty of credit cards,but only use one at a time,we don't buy anything unless we really want it,and,preferably has more than one use....maybe we're just more 'careful' than most people because I can't work,and we are always thinking of the future...the 'what if's'!.....Oh,and most of those people who are living 'paycheck to paycheck' have both spouses working at the Prison AND one or both work a second job as well.........my point was,if those people can't afford to just open their check book........how are immigrants working in 'meanial(?) jobs' going to pay the prices?......I think there's going to be a lot more 'illegals' in this country once the prices go up.........Sophia
p.s. Sorry,I didn't mean to get you guys all wound up!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:45 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
And what makes you think that they can live without those 3 weeks of pay in order to pay the N-400 fee and biometrics, plus the cost to take off from work for the biometrics, the interview and the oath ceremony. Now that is 3 weeks plus 3 days.

No everyone lives in a 2,000 sq ft house, has a pool and a job paying in the high 5 figures or 6 figures. Hell my immigrant husband earns less annually than you probably make in 3 months.

Nope not me either. I came over here and thanks to my ex was left with nothing but stuck at it. I know some Brits who have come over recently, made a killing on their houses in the UK and come and pay cash for humongous houses, nice SUV etc etc. Not a material girl and will not fall into that American trap. PS Have to renew a passport and renew my GC this year and that is a big chunk
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmumsie View Post
Nope not me either. I came over here and thanks to my ex was left with nothing but stuck at it. I know some Brits who have come over recently, made a killing on their houses in the UK and come and pay cash for humongous houses, nice SUV etc etc. Not a material girl and will not fall into that American trap. PS Have to renew a passport and renew my GC this year and that is a big chunk
The fact they are paying cash for all that stuff means they are avoiding the American trap, surely? Fair play to them, I say. The real trap is where people get all that stuff on the never-never and have to live pay check to pay check to pay all the credit bills.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
The fact they are paying cash for all that stuff means they are avoiding the American trap, surely? Fair play to them, I say. The real trap is where people get all that stuff on the never-never and have to live pay check to pay check to pay all the credit bills.
Or use one credit card to pay of another. Doesn't only happen in the US...I know people in the UK that live that way too.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:48 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmumsie View Post
Not a material girl and will not fall into that American trap. PS Have to renew a passport and renew my GC this year and that is a big chunk
Meant American trap of having to have the biggest of everything and know at least one person who moved back here to have the bigger things in life.