Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

citizenship price raising!

citizenship price raising!

Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:13 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship price raising!

Due to a taxation error caused by my employer, we just discovered that we now owe hundreds of dollars in taxes when we thought we owed none. We were going to use that money to put towards Mark's naturalization, for which he's eligible next month. Now we've got to figure out another way, and I'm honestly stressing about it -- and that's just the current $400 fee, not the $665 it will go up to.

So yes, it IS difficult for some people to afford it. Things in life come up which require shifting things around and can't be helped. No need to rub it in. Geez.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:18 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
So yes, it IS difficult for some people to afford it. Things in life come up which require shifting things around and can't be helped. No need to rub it in. Geez.
I'm not rubbing it in, but as you said things can be shifted around when times are tight.
I spent 2 years after university working part-time for an extremely low salary but could always find a way to scrape together a few quid when I needed to which didn't involve borrowing or the sale of body parts.

In the great scheme of things look at what else $250 gets you these days - not a great deal to be honest.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:21 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Anyway, I thought you had me on ignore...
I took you off ignore a long time ago - its easier to torment you when I can read your posts.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I took you off ignore a long time ago - its easier to torment you when I can read your posts.
In your dreams, mate - I think you're just a bad joke...
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:10 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Elvira
In your dreams, mate - I think you're just a bad joke...
There is a theory - the more smileys you have to use the sh!ttier that your post must have been.

QED
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

For once back up your posts with some hard facts and figures.
The majority of people applying for citizenship as far as I can figure would not be working minimum wage jobs.
Surely average legal immigrant earnings would exceed the average American wage by virtue of the immigration process alone.
What absolute shite.

Is there anything you actually know about???
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:43 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Sally
What absolute shite.

Is there anything you actually know about???
Well, better late than never.

Yet again you are fully qualified to speak on this coming from your middle class haven in CA

To complain about the cost of a US passport and all that entails going up by £125 must be a wind up, right ????

Of course I doubt if you've ever been in a position where you've had to scrimp and save for anything, therefore your opinion is completely irrelevant.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, better late than never.

Yet again you are fully qualified to speak on this coming from your middle class haven in CA

To complain about the cost of a US passport and all that entails going up by £125 must be a wind up, right ????

Of course I doubt if you've ever been in a position where you've had to scrimp and save for anything, therefore your opinion is completely irrelevant.
Stop parrotting Lionheart you thick twat.You know nothing about me.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You're a very silly boy, Davy.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:00 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Sally
Stop parrotting Lionheart you thick twat.You know nothing about me.
You can tell a lot about you from your posts on here.

Anyway, with the exception of people from mexico and central america (and presumably there are none on this forum) the average immigrant wage is higher than the average american wage.
Doing a bit of maths means that even on minimum wage plus an immigrant loading that citizenship equates to approx 3 weeks pay for the very worst off non-latino.

For someone on an average wage (based on census stats and applying the immigrant loading) it is less than a week's wage for the total cost of the operation.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

You can tell a lot about you from your posts on here.

Anyway, with the exception of people from mexico and central america (and presumably there are none on this forum) the average immigrant wage is higher than the average american wage.
Doing a bit of maths means that even on minimum wage plus an immigrant loading that citizenship equates to approx 3 weeks pay for the very worst off non-latino.

For someone on an average wage (based on census stats and applying the immigrant loading) it is less than a week's wage for the total cost of the operation.
If what you say were true, why would so many posters ask about getting a co-sponsor?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and Yes. I know many people who earn $20K or $30 for a family of 3 or 4 and live paycheck to paycheck. To them $250 is a big chunk of money. No pissing about it.

Are you taking the piss ???
Are you seriously trying to tell me that there are people applying for citizenship who would be hard pressed to get together $250 over a period of time.
Do you personally know anyone in such a position ???

Don't be such a muppet
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And what makes you think that they can live without those 3 weeks of pay in order to pay the N-400 fee and biometrics, plus the cost to take off from work for the biometrics, the interview and the oath ceremony. Now that is 3 weeks plus 3 days.

No everyone lives in a 2,000 sq ft house, has a pool and a job paying in the high 5 figures or 6 figures. Hell my immigrant husband earns less annually than you probably make in 3 months.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You kidding, Davy? By my calculations, that's 31 six-packs of my favourite beer. No way I'm giving that up.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you taking the piss ???
Are you seriously trying to tell me that there are people applying for citizenship who would be hard pressed to get together $250 over a period of time.
Do you personally know anyone in such a position ???

Don't be such a muppet
I'd struggle...I'm well hard up mate...and I'm not minimum waging it either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.