Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship followed by foreign travel - US passport

Citizenship followed by foreign travel - US passport

Old May 6th 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship followed by foreign travel - US passport

We have our oath ceremony followed 6 weeks later by foreign travel (including our kids who are under 18) - this travel was booked long before we ever expected the oath ceremony to take place (prior estimates would have placed it a couple of months after travel, at the earliest). Six weeks, from Googling, for a new US passport seems optimistic at best. If we don't have the passports when returning to the US, will we have problems?

And just to check, we don't need to file N600s for the kids who will gain citizenship through us, we just apply for their passports, correct?

[Edit] Looks like we can pay $60 per application to expedite it to less than 4-6 weeks. Still begs the question whether this is available to new citizens and their kids - how quickly do they update their systems to show we're eligible for a US passport?

Last edited by GeoffM; May 6th 2018 at 10:43 pm.
Old May 6th 2018, 10:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship followed by foreign travel - US passport

My foreign husband did an expedited passport right after becoming a USC. We literally walked from the oath ceremony to the downtown passport office and filed the application. He had his passport back in the mail within 2 weeks. That was back in 2009 in Phoenix.

Rene
Old May 6th 2018, 11:29 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I needed to go to a funeral in the UK a few days after my oath ceremony. I had an appointment with the passport office a few hours after I was sworn in, showed proof of travel and picked up my passport the next day.
Old May 6th 2018, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I had to travel about five weeks after naturalization, which was at the end of September last year. I went to the post office the nrxt working day to apply for my passport through the expedited postal route and I had it back about 10 days later.
Old May 6th 2018, 11:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The $60 for an expedited passport is cheap compared to the possible $640 fine for entering the US with a non US passport. That is if they even let you on the plane to come home with no green card.
Old May 7th 2018, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. The next day service apparently requires you to have proof of travel within 2 (IIRC) weeks. Expedited 4-6 weeks doesn't require it and should be enough time, especially if rpjs' experience is common.
Old May 7th 2018, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is not the same but we're leaving for a European vacation in 3 weeks and two of the travelers realized their passports had to be renewed. One applied at the passport office and the other at the post office and both had passports returned within 7 calendar days. I'm believing that rpjs' experience with a new passport is still valid.
Old May 7th 2018, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think a US passport has ever taken more than 3-4 weeks for me even when dropping off the application at the local post office. You can easily get the 2 week service or make an appointment at a local center