Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship classes

Citizenship classes

Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship classes

Originally Posted by lansbury
It has changed a bit. The questions have changed and some need you to research the answer. Such as who is the Governor of your State, your State Representative etc.
I thought that was always the case?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They were amongst the questions I had to know the answers to. I knew all 100 inside out...back to front and all I got asked were questions about the flag.
Me too, but I was asked who the current President was, what party he belonged to, and what the two main political parties are.

I had to ask if anyone ever failed the civics test, and the interviewer said "You'd be surprised how many fail it".
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:19 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

BritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really nice

What happens if you fail it?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritKat
If you fail, your application for naturalization will be denied. If you want to take it over, you have to reapply from scratch!

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You are given 2 attempts to pass. There is an English (speaking/reading/writing) test and a civics test (10 questions from a list of 100 possible questions).

Read this:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0025e6a00aRCRD

There are 100 civics questions on the naturalization test. During your naturalization interview, you will be asked up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions. You must answer correctly at least six (6) of the 10 questions to pass the civics test.

You have two opportunities to take the English and civics tests per application. If you fail any portion of the test during your first interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed within 90 days.

This link indicates that the pass rate was 92% as at Oct 2010:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 25th 2011 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:38 pm
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

BritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really nice

Thanks guys... I doubt I'll fail and of course will prepare well, but I get overly nervous in these situations and I just wondered what options one had if I failed...

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys... I doubt I'll fail and of course will prepare well, but I get overly nervous in these situations and I just wondered what options one had if I failed...

I studied the list of 100 questions and got 9/10 on the civics test. My wife made me very nervous (I suspect deliberately so!) because she refused to study. She said she'd "look it over" in the waiting room on the day of the test. She still passed with 7/10. If you do any studying at all, I can't see how you could fail.