British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Citizenship classes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/citizenship-classes-701993/)

matmens37 Jan 23rd 2011 6:09 pm

Citizenship classes

Does anyone know how these classes work, what do you have to do? do you need to take your partner with you at any point? How long thses go for? any information would be good.

lansbury Jan 23rd 2011 6:17 pm

Re: Citizenship classes

Why do you need to go to classes. Just study from the book and CD they give you at the biometrics appointment.

Jerseygirl Jan 23rd 2011 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by matmens37 (Post 9123109)
Don't you have to go to classes by law? How long do you study for at home before they send you for you? what happens then, just a short test thats it you are a citizen?

No. You take the test at your interview...you just answer a few simple questions.

matmens37 Jan 23rd 2011 6:27 pm

so you but your application in for citizenship. Read the book and CD, then you will be called for an interview after (how many days or mouths) anyone know. At ur interview you answer some qusetions put to you and then you are a citizen?

lansbury Jan 23rd 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by matmens37 (Post 9123109)
Don't you have to go to classes by law? How long do you study for at home before they send you for you? what happens then, just a short test thats it you are a citizen?

The test consists of 10 questions selected at random from a pool of 100. You need to get 6 right. When you go for the biometrics before the interview, they give you a booklet and CD containing all 100 questions and answers.

Currently from applying for citizenship to the biometrics is about a month. Then another 3 - 5 months for the interview. It depends which office you live near and how many applications before yours that office is processing. Mine took from application to swearing in ceremony 14 weeks. Some are quicker, some longer especially where the oath ceremony is weeks after the interview, mine was next day. There is no precise timeline.

matmens37 Jan 23rd 2011 6:42 pm

ok thanks for that. Do you at any stage have to take you partner with you? It sounds simple. I hope it is!

lansbury Jan 23rd 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by matmens37 (Post 9123132)
ok thanks for that. Do you at any stage have to take you partner with you? It sounds simple. I hope it is!

No you don't have to. In most cases they cannot come into the room where you are interviewed anyway, there are a very few exceptions to this which don't apply about 99% of the time.

My wife came and sat in the waiting room while I was interviewed. You are of course allowed to have guests attend your oath ceremony.

matmens37 Jan 23rd 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for that.

Bob Jan 23rd 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9123118)
The test consists of 10 questions selected at random from a pool of 100. You need to get 6 right. When you go for the biometrics before the interview, they give you a booklet and CD containing all 100 questions and answers.

You can just download the PDF of the book from USCIS.gov or possibly get them to send you a copy, don't know if they still send it free, they used to at least.

How long it takes, anything from a couple of months to a year. 6 Months is probably a good average though.

anotherlimey Jan 24th 2011 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by matmens37 (Post 9123146)
Thanks for that.

It's a really easy test, although my interviewer got me to do the writing test twice... he couldn't read my handwriting. :o

I applied in mid-September, interview was two weeks ago, ceremony is this Friday.

1chumly Jan 24th 2011 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9123112)
No. You take the test at your interview...you just answer a few simple questions.

Are they multiple choice like on the website.... oral or written?

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9125803)
Are they multiple choice like on the website.... oral or written?

Not multiple choice and it's an oral test. May be it's changed recently but when I took my test 3 yrs ago we were asked 3 questions. If you don't get them right they normally just keep on asking question until you get the required number. My questions were easy...what colours are in the US flag...how many stripes etc...it's like they want you to pass.

lansbury Jan 24th 2011 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9125826)
Not multiple choice and it's an oral test. May be it's changed recently but when I took my test 3 yrs ago we were asked 3 questions. If you don't get them right they normally just keep on asking question until you get the required number. My questions were easy...what colours are in the US flag...how many stripes etc...it's like they want you to pass.

It has changed a bit. The questions have changed and some need you to research the answer. Such as who is the Governor of your State, your State Representative etc.

Even the new questions are not hard, but you have to get 6 out of 10, and you only get one shot on the day.

sir_eccles Jan 24th 2011 9:02 pm

Click here

From there you will find everything you need to know about the tests.

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9125866)
It has changed a bit. The questions have changed and some need you to research the answer. Such as who is the Governor of your State, your State Representative etc.

Even the new questions are not hard, but you have to get 6 out of 10, and you only get one shot on the day.

They were amongst the questions I had to know the answers to. I knew all 100 inside out...back to front and all I got asked were questions about the flag. ;)

At my daughter's interview the guy said 'you are studying American Studies...you'll know all the answers so there's no point asking you'. :lol: