Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:54 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Moving to a new country can be an exciting life experience but it also comes with a variety of changes to what we're us to. One of those challenges is finding a town/city in America which make you feel like you're at home. Where the people are friendly and there are things of interest to do. Where in America do you want to call home that has most of the attributes you want?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Where in America do you want to call home that has most of the attributes you want?
Hmm... tough to answer. Most people arrive in the US via a family-based or employment-based visa... so they live where the family or employment is based. That means there's no real choice in the location. Only those who enter the US on an investment-based visa can truly choose where to live.

Where I live in eastern Kentucky, it's a lot like East Anglia (well, except for the weather)... but if I was moving from London I wouldn't be at all satisfied.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:55 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hmm... tough to answer. Most people arrive in the US via a family-based or employment-based visa... so they live where the family or employment is based. That means there's no real choice in the location. Only those who enter the US on an investment-based visa can truly choose where to live.

Where I live in eastern Kentucky, it's a lot like East Anglia (well, except for the weather)... but if I was moving from London I wouldn't be at all satisfied.

Ian
I imagine Kentucky has its attractions. But you are right to say a person seeking city life might want that same set-up in a new location. Are people very friendly in Kentucky compared to the UK?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Does a city make you feel at home or do you make a city feel like home.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Are people very friendly in Kentucky compared to the UK?
In my experience, yes. The entire region has some of the friendliest people I've ever met. People are very polite and respectful here. I'm not sure if it's necessarily genuine, but it does seem to be deeply ingrained in the local culture. There is a culture of helping and of assisting that is quite refreshing compared to some of the larger regions in the US. Neighbors here are genuine neighbors... not just "hello" or "good day" when passing each other.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Cambridge, MA
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Cambridge, MA
I'd go along with that. The Boston suburbs and even Boston itself definitely has an English feel to it (compared to a lot of places anyway).
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in 14 different cities in 10 different states, and I never found people unfriendly. In one place though, Lakewood CO, people did keep themselves very much to themselves. Not that it bothered me all that much, as I was gone a lot of the time.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interested in answers to this question.

I know there are areas of the US that are very friendly and welcoming and have a culture of community and good neighbours. Just not sure where!

The UK is very different to this, at least in my experience. Although people are kind and lovely, they keep themselves to themselves and are almost fearful of making any form of contact. I find this very sad (we only have one life) and rather dull.

I love the thought of a close community and an atmosphere of friendliness, giving a sense of security.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75

The UK is very different to this, at least in my experience. Although people are kind and lovely, they keep themselves to themselves and are almost fearful of making any form of contact. I find this very sad (we only have one life) and rather dull.

I love the thought of a close community and an atmosphere of friendliness, giving a sense of security.
My experience is the opposite. Lovely friendly neighbours (turned up with cakes and casseroles the day we moved in and other clichés!), and a great community spirit. Whether its street parties for a royal wedding/jubilee/Olympics or other occasions, there's certainly nobody that is 'fearful of making any kind of contact'!

This has been my experience in the 3 houses we've lived in in the UK - in fact, one of my ex-neighbours from our last house is now a very close friend and I'm godmother to her daughter!

I'm curious, do you live in a city? As I've always lived in villages where perhaps there is more community spirit?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I know there are areas of the US that are very friendly and welcoming and have a culture of community and good neighbours. Just not sure where!

I have to say this has never been my experience, even in London. I am also curious as to where you live.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You do...how? Visiting here is absolutely nothing at all like living here.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You do...how? Visiting here is absolutely nothing at all like living here.
They do say, "Have a nice day" in the shops.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
My experience is the opposite. Lovely friendly neighbours (turned up with cakes and casseroles the day we moved in and other clichés!), and a great community spirit. Whether its street parties for a royal wedding/jubilee/Olympics or other occasions, there's certainly nobody that is 'fearful of making any kind of contact'!

This has been my experience in the 3 houses we've lived in in the UK - in fact, one of my ex-neighbours from our last house is now a very close friend and I'm godmother to her daughter!

I'm curious, do you live in a city? As I've always lived in villages where perhaps there is more community spirit?
It's really lovely to hear postitive experiences of friendly communities in the UK. That hasn't been my experience at all, nor my friends.

Britain and the Brits are known to be "cold" socially, although as said previously, are very kind and sweet.

I have lived in cities and a couple of villages, in the South East most of my life, but also in Scotland for a short period.

Do you mind me asking which three places you have lived in?

Last edited by Libby75; Jan 27th 2013 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's really lovely to hear postitive experiences of friendly communities in the UK. That hasn't been my experience at all, nor my friends.

Britain and the Brits are known to be "cold" socially, although as said previously, are very kind and sweet.

I have lived in cities and a couple of villages, in the South East most of my life, but also in Scotland for a short period.

Do you mind me asking which three places you have lived in?
What you are describing is how the US is often described on the forum - superficially friendly but none of that 'popping in for a cuppa' mentality that you get in the UK! I've not lived in the US but that's certainly what I found in Canada, the friendliness isn't more than just manners, and it's incredibly tough to break in socially. From what I've read, the US seems to be similar.

I've lived all over the UK, from Birmingham to Oxford, but I was specifically thinking of the three places I've lived as a 'grown up' with my husband. Which were Middlesex, Bucks and now Berkshire. The last village we lived in, in Bucks, we were in a cul de sac of maybe 25 houses, and everybody knew everybody else. We all exchanged Christmas cards, went to each others drinks parties, and 5 of the ladies that lived there were great friends of mine - we were always in and out of each others houses for coffee etc.

Now I live far more rurally in Berkshire and only have 2 near neighbours but again, we're very friendly and go for Sunday lunches at each others houses etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.