Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citibank-Blah!

Citibank-Blah!

Old Feb 15th 2004, 2:10 am
Gerr123

Default Citibank-Blah!

HI all, I've finally arrived (Florida). Wonderful.

I tried to use the good advice on the forum on Banks and moving money- I opened a Citibank US Dollar account back in the UK, got a dollar cheque book and a neat exchange rate. Great.

Sadly when I tried to pay the deposit on an appartment I was told only a cashier's cheque would do, no credit history (the forum strikes again)..Cash?-No, Credit card-No.

So I tried to open a US Citibank account, just to get an account number to transfer dollars into from the Uk, and then do the cashier cheque after the transfer- I certinaly didn't expect a cheque to clear immediately so I brought cash aswell!

Ah, not so fast! Citibank cheque book in hand, passport/visa, US social security number, rental documents, and Uk driver license in hand I failed with the frontdesk..Warned on the forum I asked to see the manager-NO, it was imposible for me to have an acocunt-maybe I should try Federal express!

My photo ID had apparently to match my address in the US, which I could only get with a cashier's cheque which they wouldn't sell me unless I had an account, which I couldn't have because ..I didn't have a Photo ID for my new address..

I went down the street and walked into a Union Planter's Bank(?)
the clerk laughed, spoke to her manager who said 'I'll take your business"..I got my cashier's cheque, an account, and a line of credit thrown in, all inside 20 mins...

Hum...what is it with CitiBank?

Old Feb 15th 2004, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citibank-Blah!

Originally posted by Gerr123
.... what is it with CitiBank?
Either the Citibank employees are not familiar with the details recent changes to the law, OR Citibank has introduced its own internal policies which are more strict than the law requires.

My guess would be the former, but some banks, especially some of the larger ones, have decided to take the "panic" approach to ensuring compliance with the Patriot Act and are declining certain classes of business in their entirety, including all business from recent immigrants/ those without a SSN.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by Gerr123
HI all, I've finally arrived (Florida). Wonderful.

I tried to use the good advice on the forum on Banks and moving money- I opened a Citibank US Dollar account back in the UK, got a dollar cheque book and a neat exchange rate. Great.

Sadly when I tried to pay the deposit on an appartment I was told only a cashier's cheque would do, no credit history (the forum strikes again)..Cash?-No, Credit card-No.

So I tried to open a US Citibank account, just to get an account number to transfer dollars into from the Uk, and then do the cashier cheque after the transfer- I certinaly didn't expect a cheque to clear immediately so I brought cash aswell!

Ah, not so fast! Citibank cheque book in hand, passport/visa, US social security number, rental documents, and Uk driver license in hand I failed with the frontdesk..Warned on the forum I asked to see the manager-NO, it was imposible for me to have an acocunt-maybe I should try Federal express!

My photo ID had apparently to match my address in the US, which I could only get with a cashier's cheque which they wouldn't sell me unless I had an account, which I couldn't have because ..I didn't have a Photo ID for my new address..

I went down the street and walked into a Union Planter's Bank(?)
the clerk laughed, spoke to her manager who said 'I'll take your business"..I got my cashier's cheque, an account, and a line of credit thrown in, all inside 20 mins...

Hum...what is it with CitiBank?
You can get a certified check or equivalent instrument without an account. They'll just charge you more for it.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 6:58 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

i'm surprised that the leasing office will only accept a bankers draft/ckeck. if you ask me, they are not keen on getting tenants.

I had to get a short term lease while i searched for a house. During the application i told them i had NO credit history so they shouldnt bother checking. They were a bit sceptical but talked to the manager and convinced them.

i'm still with the credit union that 'accepted' me without a SSN or US address while i was still in the UK. I've decided to stick with them as my principle bank.

i have learnt when its comes to dealing with small businesses they will be willing to accomodate you even without a credit history. Try and explain your circumstances.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Well, my experience with Citibank US has been much better than with Citibank UK. I walked in with a UK passport, a job, 10K pounds in a cashier's cheque from Citibank US, but no address yet. I was told I would need to have a piece of mail with my address on it. They suggested a bank statement.

If I had a bank statement I wouldn't need a bank account, would I?