Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Circumcision

Wikiposts

Circumcision

Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:07 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Circumcision

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I didn't think this was an us-against-them kind of discussion. It was funny that you made the same statement that got my rabidly anti-semitic RE teacher fired. If you like I'll go back and edit "exact" to read "nearly", but it hardly seems worth it.

Whether you feel strongly that it's mutilation or not is entirely a personal opinion, I guess.
Read my previous post as I edited it. I did get the impression it is an us against them type of post as the OP is getting flak from the us' for not having her son done. It amazes me that female circumcision is considered mutilation but the jury is still out on male sex organs being altered from their natural state. You do whatever you want
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:08 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I see you've edited your post to be even more confrontational, but to be honest Lionheart, I just don't have the energy or inclination to be your sparring partner. Go pick a fight with someone else, eh?
I beleive you joined this thread after me and initiated the conversation by quoting my post
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:12 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I beleive you joined this thread after me and initiated the conversation by quoting my post
Yup, I did. With an observation about the similarity between what you had said and what an ex-teach of mine said. I guess I'm just not looking for a fight today. Sorry. You're welcome to try again tomorrow.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:16 pm
Banned

Yup, I did. With an observation about the similarity between what you had said and what an ex-teach of mine said. I guess I'm just not looking for a fight today. Sorry. You're welcome to try again tomorrow.
Then why do you keep quoting me while at the same time acting like the victim And you are welcome to do what you want with the members of your families penises
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:21 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Then why do you keep quoting me while at the same time acting like the victim And you are welcome to do what you want with the members of your families penises
You're right, I should stop quoting you entirely...

Damn, there I go doing it again.

I'm not sure how you've concluded that I'm acting like a victim, but you can rest assured that I certainly don't feel like one. Quite the contrary, actually.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:27 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
It's my understanding that around 85% of American males are circumcised.

My 9 year old son isn't. I'm getting comments from other parents who have routinely had their son 'done'. They make me feel uncomfortable by implying that my son will somehow be traumatised in high school due to his not looking like other boys. That I've somehow doomed him to a life of ridicule and without acceptance.

A quick google and I found this:

http://www.circlist.com/preferences/preferences.html

and these people:

http://www.norm.org/

What is happening??????

What are your thoughts on this?
Long live the foreskin....

CA what has happened to your mind...?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Poll opened inTIO
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328372
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:29 pm
Banned

You're right, I should stop quoting you entirely...

Damn, there I go doing it again.

I'm not sure how you've concluded that I'm acting like a victim, but you can rest assured that I certainly don't feel like one. Quite the contrary, actually.
Are you still here? You have called me confrontational and stated you are not looking for a fight ( poor me)..... sounds like a victim to me. Still waiting for you to dissect the OP's 2nd post, where she references reasons not to get it done, instead of having to hear yet again about the mental scar some RE teacher left you with.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:30 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
It's my understanding that around 85% of American males are circumcised.

My 9 year old son isn't. I'm getting comments from other parents who have routinely had their son 'done'. They make me feel uncomfortable by implying that my son will somehow be traumatised in high school due to his not looking like other boys. That I've somehow doomed him to a life of ridicule and without acceptance.

A quick google and I found this:

http://www.circlist.com/preferences/preferences.html

and these people:

http://www.norm.org/

What is happening??????

What are your thoughts on this?
To answer your question directly: I'm circumcised, and feel that it is part of my Jewish heritage. I've never really understood why the majority of American males are circumcised, but I think some of the articles linked in this thread go some way towards explaining - however, it's worth bearing in mind that some particularly aggressive criticism of the practice stems from anti-semitism, rather than a particular concern for other people's children's dicks!

The long and the short of it (sorry, couldn't resist) is that America is full of parents who will do anything to find a way to criticize other parents and their children. Usually it's over things like clothes, what church they go to (or don't), how they talk... I'd be interested to know how you responded when other people started talking about your son's penis - personally I would have been quite furious, and would have told them to mind their own f**king business! What the hell kind of parent criticizes another's choices over such a personal issue?

When it comes down to it, your decisions regarding all aspects of your son's life are yours, and yours alone, to make. I would never accept another parent's criticism of my children's upbringing, and neither should you.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:36 pm
Banned

To answer your question directly: I'm circumcised, and feel that it is part of my Jewish heritage. I've never really understood why the majority of American males are circumcised, but I think some of the articles linked in this thread go some way towards explaining - however, it's worth bearing in mind that some particularly aggressive criticism of the practice stems from anti-semitism, rather than a particular concern for other people's children's dicks!

The long and the short of it (sorry, couldn't resist) is that America is full of parents who will do anything to find a way to criticize other parents and their children. Usually it's over things like clothes, what church they go to (or don't), how they talk... I'd be interested to know how you responded when other people started talking about your son's penis - personally I would have been quite furious, and would have told them to mind their own f**king business! What the hell kind of parent criticizes another's choices over such a personal issue?

When it comes down to it, your decisions regarding all aspects of your son's life are yours, and yours alone, to make. I would never accept another parent's criticism of my children's upbringing, and neither should you.
Circumcision may also lead to angry outbursts
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I would be questioning why they are interested in my son's penis if I were you... kinda twisted if you ask me. I know I don't go around questioning who have and have not had their son's done.

Ash
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:42 pm
Arrogant ****

Are you still here? You have called me confrontational and stated you are not looking for a fight ( poor me)..... sounds like a victim to me. Still waiting for you to dissect the OP's 2nd post, where she references reasons not to get it done, instead of having to hear yet again about the mental scar some RE teacher left you with.
Quote returned to appease sense of humour failure.

<--- note smileys to denote how funny I find myself.

So, I've read the article linked by CaliforniaBride, and I find myself in broad agreement that circumcision of the majority of Americans is unnecessary. I don't agree with the strongest terms - that it's "barbaric" etc., but I see no good reason why a non-Jewish child should be circumcised, and if I had sons I would think hard before having them snipped... but would probably have the procedure done on religious grounds.

One thing that I'm surprised by is the account of how the circumcision is actually performed over here. I'm not sure if the account is of the generally accepted practice, but it's quite different to how it is done by GPs in the UK. There a small plastic ring is inserted under the foreskin, and a tight rubber band is placed over the foreskin, pressing hard against the ring. After a week or so, the foreskin simply falls off. No blood, no restraining the poor screaming child, and apparently pretty much painless.

Last edited by dbj1000; Sep 27th 2005 at 4:53 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:48 pm
Banned

So, I've read the article linked by CaliforniaBride, and I find myself in broad agreement that circumcision of the majority of Americans is unnecessary. I don't agree with the strongest terms - that it's "barbaric" etc., but I see no good reason why a non-Jewish child should be circumcised, and if I had sons I would think hard before having them snipped... but would probably have the procedure done on religious grounds.

One thing that I'm surprised by is the account of how the circumcision is actually performed over here. I'm not sure if the account is of the generally accepted practice, but it's quite different to how it is done by GPs in the UK. There a small plastic ring is inserted under the foreskin, and a tight rubber band is placed over the foreskin, pressing hard against the ring. After a week or so, the foreskin simply falls off. No blood, no restraining the poor screaming child, and apparently pretty much painless.
I don't remember 'demanding' you don't quote me? 'Funny' how you twist my words........
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:50 pm
Arrogant ****

...I also read somewhere that circumcision desensitizes the penis for obvious reasons, possibly leading to more bizarre sexual practices in order to attain gratification. I am too lazy to look up a source for this - plus this statement might attract a crowd, as I'm sick of Cindy Sheehan
That's my last quote of you, Lionheart, really.

Now that we've calmed down a little, I'm genuinely interested in the meaning of your line about "bizarre sexual practices" - what on earth do you mean by that? I'd love to read any articles you can link to that will tell me all about what a pervert I am without my foreskin!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:51 pm
Arrogant ****

I don't remember 'demanding' you don't quote me? 'Funny' how you twist my words........
It was a joke, FFS. Grow up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.