Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Christmas what do you miss thread

The Christmas what do you miss thread

Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I didn't know that Gary's brought them in - that's good to know.

I'm getting them in the UK this year though....I'm flying to London next weekend and spending a few days there and then spending Christmas in Switzerland (where my spouse relocated to with his job). Swiss chocs are great but I don't know if they do the choc baubles for the tree, so I'll pick some up in the UK.
Have a safe trip and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Those Cadbury's chocolate 'baubles' that you hang on the Christmas tree. They never stay on our tree for long though

I've noticed that (in our area) you can get chocolate coins - but I was told they're for the Hannukah (Jewish) festival!
You can get similar-ish things in Aldi

They have *lots* of European type things at Christmas/Easter.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have a safe trip and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Thank you!

Where will you be this Christmas? New Jersey, Toronto or England?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

Where will you be this Christmas? New Jersey, Toronto or England?
Toronto this year.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:42 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

I didn't know that Gary's brought them in - that's good to know.

I'm getting them in the UK this year though....I'm flying to London next weekend and spending a few days there and then spending Christmas in Switzerland (where my spouse relocated to with his job). Swiss chocs are great but I don't know if they do the choc baubles for the tree, so I'll pick some up in the UK.
Hi there. I hope that you have a safe and enjoyable trip and I hope that you have a merry Christmas and a safe and fun New Year.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:00 am
Just Joined

FridaysChild is an unknown quantity at this point

Since this is my first Christmas abroad, I may need to get back to you in January, but so far I miss:

The December issue of the Radio Times
The ease of getting out the old box of decorations and lights that have done the job for years, and instead having to buy new ones that actually work here
Huge tins of Cadbury's Roses
Trailers for the TV Christmas Specials
Panto. Especially the ones with faded 80s comedians. Who knew I'd miss those?!
The first time I see the Christmas food go on sale in Tesco's - especially the freezer section with everything in miniature (think Toad in the Hole mini-bites, and teeny tiny chocolate eclairs)
Advent Calendars without chocolate in them
Catalogues full of wrapping paper and tacky decorations
Boots 3-for-2 gift aisles

I'm sure there will be more as the month goes on!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FridaysChild
Since this is my first Christmas abroad, I may need to get back to you in January, but so far I miss:

The December issue of the Radio Times
The ease of getting out the old box of decorations and lights that have done the job for years, and instead having to buy new ones that actually work here
Huge tins of Cadbury's Roses
Trailers for the TV Christmas Specials
Panto. Especially the ones with faded 80s comedians. Who knew I'd miss those?!
The first time I see the Christmas food go on sale in Tesco's - especially the freezer section with everything in miniature (think Toad in the Hole mini-bites, and teeny tiny chocolate eclairs)
Advent Calendars without chocolate in them
Catalogues full of wrapping paper and tacky decorations
Boots 3-for-2 gift aisles

I'm sure there will be more as the month goes on!
Where in Atlanta? We're 90 mile NE between Cornelia and Toccoa - about 30 mins up 365 from Gainesville.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Where in Atlanta? We're 90 mile NE between Cornelia and Toccoa - about 30 mins up 365 from Gainesville.
I'm in Buckhead, north of Midtown - not far at all!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FridaysChild
I'm in Buckhead, north of Midtown - not far at all!
Ahhh, the land of shootings and apartment fires! Stay safe down there.

If you want to meet up sometime, say, for lunch in Gainesville or something, feel free to PM me, after the Christmas holidays, of course (I'm flying home Christmas day for 2 weeks). Wife is a yank - raised around Philly, but we won't hold that against her .
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road

The main thing is friends and family, but other than that not too much really. There hasn’t really been a white Christmas in the South of England for a while now whereas New York was spectacular last Christmas with a large dump of snow on Boxing Day. Agree that some of the M&S nibbles would be nice but plenty of alternatives in the delis in NYC. As other posters have said Thanksgiving is the big one for Americans and it is very family orientated. IMHO I quite like the way that Christmas doesn’t drag on forever the way it does in the UK. I prefer to get a few days skiing in Vermont with friends between Christmas and the New Year.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Ahhh, the land of shootings and apartment fires! Stay safe down there.

If you want to meet up sometime, say, for lunch in Gainesville or something, feel free to PM me, after the Christmas holidays, of course (I'm flying home Christmas day for 2 weeks). Wife is a yank - raised around Philly, but we won't hold that against her .
Indeed - although, thankfully, we live next to a Cop so we feel pretty safe here now!

Sounds great - my husband is also British and I'm sure would enjoy meeting up with others... Especially after his first US Christmas, when I'm sure he'll be missing the UK even more!! Will PM in the new year. Thanks!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

My first one this year (after my first Turkey Day with the extended family).

Luckily for me, I've never liked Christmas Cake or Christmas Pudding (even though I have the family recipe for the pudding and have made some each year ), and a Yule Log can be made easily enough.

No crackers, but then we didn't tend to have them in our family anyway.

I'll be trying to indoctrinate the US family with our traditions (suppers every night with cold meats, cheeses, salads, etc) but I don't hold out much hope I have just ordered a six-pack of Colman's, so I'm ready
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:46 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidmatthewpittaway
i do love a good panto
Knocked off my second panto of the season this weekend. They have become quite the American Christmas tradition for us here. I even got the in-laws to come along to one of them this year. I find the one at the brew-pub theater to be the more fun.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:59 am
Just Joined

lisanano is an unknown quantity at this point

there are pantos here?
Old Dec 20th 2011, 5:08 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisanano
there are pantos here?
I have two close to my 'here'

Peter Pan

Pinocchio

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.