Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Christmas what do you miss thread

The Christmas what do you miss thread

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

Parties that have even the tiniest element of fun.

TV specials.

Husband getting more than one day off work.

Christmas food as mentioned by Nicky.

Varied crackers, not just the bog standard ones.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Friends and family.

Christmas atmosphere in the UK.

Meeting up in the pub Christmas Eve afternoon.

M&S Christmas goodies.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Parties that have even the tiniest element of fun.
Work ones where they have an open bar and you not having to drive to it, so really being able to get shit faced and everyone having a laugh.

Everything I've experienced over here has been very timid in comparison and very forced...probably doesn't help that hardly anyone I know actually ends up living any where near where they work, so everyone is driving miles around so can't be arsed after working a full day.

I know that's not the case for everyone, obviously, but just out here, where I am.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:25 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I will miss Tescos Finest Courvesior Clotted Cream with brandy butter too on a hot mince pie.
The Radio and TV Times
The Queens speech which is amazing as I never watched it when I was in England
The Snowman film on TV

Hope you dont mind me joining this thread - I am up North in Canada
No not at all. Drop by any time. I agree with you on the TV and Radio times. The Christmas ones were great.

The Snowman film on TV is one of my most cherished childhood memories and a lot better than Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! and A Charlie Brown Christmas. Which are just American pieces of junk compared to The Snowman. I do like the American Christmas shows but I just like the snowman a lot better.

I miss that you would sometimes have snow during the Christmas holidays.

Having a lot of people to spend time with during the holidays and not having my grandpreants here to spend Christmas with

I hope that everyone has a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I miss the Christmas season starting somewhere round December 10th.
How many years has it been since you've been in the UK.

Christmas is already well in swing!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Morecambe & Wise Christmas Specials:

Christmas Turkey, followed by Bird's trifle for Dessert.

The excitement of actually getting something you wanted for Christmas as a Kid, and then showing off your presents to your mates.

A day out to a Frigid North Wales Coast on Boxing day, to find most things closed but still having a great game of Footy or Frisbee on the Beaches.

As and adult - getting drunk on Christmas Day and wondering where Boxing Day went to.

Jim.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:46 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
That lovely festive song by Slade - you know the one.
I wish it could be sprout day every day?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:12 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I wish it could be sprout day every day?
I know - me too!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:22 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Panto!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Over the years you start getting used to the American Christmas, but fortunately I have introduced a lot of our traditions here. Thankfully I can now get crackers from Costco, (when I first mentioned them one of the Americans thought I meant the type to go with cheese - and then when he saw them only wore his hat for 5 mins.. no staying power)!

I miss Yule Log, Christmas Cake, mince pies, Christmas decorations staying up longer than Christmas evening, (I remember the first Christmas here we went for an evening walk, you wouldn't believe the amount of trees we saw out in the garden or the back of someone's truck already)! family coming round on Boxing Day, Carol-singers, carols instead of stupid songs, Christmas Specials on TV... and of course my family. Always miss my family, but more than ever at Christmas - and no-one coming this year to bring me any of the food.

I should start a thread about the things that most surprise you about living here at Christmas, like the whole tree coming down thing. Mine would be salad served up with roast turkey. Who does that???

Good luck to the ex-pats here for their first Christmas - and be prepared!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Family, first and foremost

Special programming on TV/Christmas specials, and by extension ...

Perusing the double edition of the Radio/TV Times to circle my viewing choices (do they even still have the RT/TVT???)

Boxing Day

Christmas crackers

Mince pies

Carols, sung in an old church by small boys; not 'holiday' songs sung in school auditoriums by students, to pre-recorded music.

What wouldn't I miss from here? Snow!!! I live in the Rocky Mountain area, and will have a ceremonial breakng of all our snow shovels before we leave!!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Panto!
Oh no you don't......

Sorry, couldn't resist!!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
Perusing the double edition of the Radio/TV Times to circle my viewing choices (do they even still have the RT/TVT???)
Indeed they do - the one and only time I buy the Radio Times each year is to do just that. I know it's a bit pathetic, but I sit down with a cup of tea and a mince pie and ring things I want to record.

Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:30 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Oh no you don't......

Sorry, couldn't resist!!
I was wondering who would give in to temptation first....
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Indeed they do - the one and only time I buy the Radio Times each year is to do just that. I know it's a bit pathetic, but I sit down with a cup of tea and a mince pie and ring things I want to record.

I used to do that! It was at a time when you didn't have Netflix and On Demand and huge vudeo libraries, so seeing their big Christmas fortnight of films was great fun! And of course, you can't forget all those Christmas specials...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.