Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Christmas what do you miss thread

The Christmas what do you miss thread

Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

You can get all the UK Christmas stuff (well most of it anyway) from Costplus World Market. If there is one near you.

But anyway I think the importance of Thanksgiving really makes Christmas less of a deal in the US. Which is fine by me because I really like Thanksgiving because it is less commercialized plus my birthday is near Christmas...
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:40 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Here in Ireland the computerised radio playlists all automatically change into Christmas mode on December 1st.
You wake up that morning to hear The Fairytale Of New York for the first time and everything seems warm and fuzzy and Christmassy.
By the end of the day you're heard it another five times and suddenly it becomes a bit of a drag.
By Christmas Day you positively hate the song, especially the bit where every dickhead in the pub joins in with " You scumbag, you maggot,you cheap lousy faggot "
I hate Christmas with a vengeance.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

LeithAc is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

I'm such a sad act I have my family send me copies of the M & S, Boots and Radio Times Christmas magazines and sit and read them all with a glass of wine. Living in Boston there's a few British/Irish shops so it's easy to get the required crackers/tins of Roses and cocktail sausages that make for an enjoyable Christmas but I still miss being at home for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. It's over far too quick here which makes me sad. It was a complete culture shock when I first arrived here a few years ago and colleagues were scheduling a meeting for Dec 26th and I realised I was going to be at work.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:44 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeithAc
I'm such a sad act I have my family send me copies of the M & S, Boots and Radio Times Christmas magazines and sit and read them all with a glass of wine. Living in Boston there's a few British/Irish shops so it's easy to get the required crackers/tins of Roses and cocktail sausages that make for an enjoyable Christmas but I still miss being at home for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. It's over far too quick here which makes me sad. It was a complete culture shock when I first arrived here a few years ago and colleagues were scheduling a meeting for Dec 26th and I realised I was going to be at work.
It's over to quick for most of the Brits but look at the flip side we get a TG and then a full month of Christmas build up, the tree goes up earlier the festivities office parties etc etc
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Surrey72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
That lovely festive song by Slade - you know the one.
Absolutely!!
I thought I was the only one who remembered n missed that
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

Family, pigs in blankets made with "proper" butchers sausages and dare I say in..............SNOW!!!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

It's 25 degrees outside. I miss the weather, it doesn't feel like Christmastime at all
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:54 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I've realised that I miss Boxing Day but possibly because I miss paid holidays! I have decided to bring it to the US this year and am encouraging my friends to have the day off and eat leftovers with me May even make them watch British TV on the Slingbox.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:51 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I've realised that I miss Boxing Day but possibly because I miss paid holidays! I have decided to bring it to the US this year and am encouraging my friends to have the day off and eat leftovers with me May even make them watch British TV on the Slingbox.
I like this idea a lot. Have a great holiday season.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh*

In no particular order:

- Christmas dinner. The one day of the year my ma arsed herself to cook more than sausages and chips, but well worth the wait.
- Christmas pudding
- M&S desserts. Mmmm.
- Christmas Eve piss-up with my mates down the local
- Getting more than one ****ing day off work
- Christmas songs that aren't that godawful 1950s rat pack shite
- Carolers (though you probably aren't allowed to hear Christmas Carols anymore, lest we make a Muslim cry ...)
- Work Christmas dinner/piss-up combo in mid December
- Christmas crackers
- TV Christmas specials and the double issue Radio Times
- Christmas tree spotting while driving around in December and not seeing bloody awful inflatable Santas, massive plastic raindeer or that kind of stuff.
- My old house
- Dandering over to my mate's house on Boxing Day to get pished
- Belfast City Centre all decorated and lit up.
- Selection boxes and 1kg bars of Dairy Milk

I shall stop now
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:46 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
*sigh*

In no particular order:

- Christmas dinner. The one day of the year my ma arsed herself to cook more than sausages and chips, but well worth the wait.
- Christmas pudding
- M&S desserts. Mmmm.
- Christmas Eve piss-up with my mates down the local
- Getting more than one ****ing day off work
- Christmas songs that aren't that godawful 1950s rat pack shite
- Carolers (though you probably aren't allowed to hear Christmas Carols anymore, lest we make a Muslim cry ...)
- Work Christmas dinner/piss-up combo in mid December
- Christmas crackers
- TV Christmas specials and the double issue Radio Times
- Christmas tree spotting while driving around in December and not seeing bloody awful inflatable Santas, massive plastic raindeer or that kind of stuff.
- My old house
- Dandering over to my mate's house on Boxing Day to get pished
- Belfast City Centre all decorated and lit up.
- Selection boxes and 1kg bars of Dairy Milk

I shall stop now
Damn, but you're a miserable old sod.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Damn, but you're a miserable old sod.
I prefer disillusioned, and less of the old, please
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:08 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer disillusioned, and less of the old, please
Meh ... semantics.

I miss stuffing, that's actually been cooked inside the turkey - that was always one of my favourite parts of Christmas dinner. My mum used to stuff our turkey with pork sausage meat - delicious.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:59 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Meh ... semantics.

I miss stuffing, that's actually been cooked inside the turkey - that was always one of my favourite parts of Christmas dinner. My mum used to stuff our turkey with pork sausage meat - delicious.
One good thing about last (and this, I think) Christmas here, to be fair and balanced and all that, was that my mother in law surprised me with a turkey for our Christmas Eve dinner to accompany the ham we have every year

Obviously, my wife made her excellent stuffing to accompany it. My mum never made her own, unless she changed her name to Marks & Spencer somewhere in my youth ...
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

One good thing about last (and this, I think) Christmas here, to be fair and balanced and all that, was that my mother in law surprised me with a turkey for our Christmas Eve dinner to accompany the ham we have every year

Obviously, my wife made her excellent stuffing to accompany it. My mum never made her own, unless she changed her name to Marks & Spencer somewhere in my youth ...
M&S Chestnut Stuffing...to die for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.