Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas in the U.S.

Christmas in the U.S.

Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

rhunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas in the U.S.

My husband and I have decided not to go back to the UK this year and are spending our first Christmas in the U.S. since moving here in March 2010. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and are looking for recommendations on what to do. Do we stay and have Christmas here or go away? Is it expensive to travel over the holidays?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Christmas in the U.S.

We also arrived earlier this year, and have decided not to go back to the UK for Christmas. Instead we're going to go to Vegas for 5 days, around the 23rd to 28th

ETA - I reckon we can do it for around $1k for both of us, which includes flights from Minnesota.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Find your crackers and drink, it's the only way to get through it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Find your crackers and drink, it's the only way to get through it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Spent one Christmas in Vegas - never do it again - it's like it doesn't exist! We went back home to Charlotte and had Christmas Day and Boxing Day on the 29th and 30th and went straight through New Year - we were hung over for days!! Gotta spend Christmas at home
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

We decided to do the same thing three years ago since I was pregnant and due Jan 1 (therefore flying was out of the question). We looked at staying in hotels in places like Carmel and Tahoe and were shocked at how expensive it was. I don't mind paying to stay in a decent hotel but these hotels were charging $400 a night when out of peak season it would be under $200. It didn't feel right paying that much for a bog standard hotel so we ended up being adopted by some friends who live locally and had a fabulous time.

Not sure if the financial situation has made hotels drop the prices so you might have better luck this year.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:32 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhunt
My husband and I have decided not to go back to the UK this year and are spending our first Christmas in the U.S. since moving here in March 2010. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and are looking for recommendations on what to do. Do we stay and have Christmas here or go away? Is it expensive to travel over the holidays?
You could try the National Parks. We have been to Yosemite for Thanksgiving and the hotels seem to make a big fuss, the hotels are all decorated, some put an ice-rink up and do special activities both on site and locally and lots for kids (don't know if you have any). They also do holiday meals as either a big buffet kind of thing or as full service.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You could try the National Parks. We have been to Yosemite for Thanksgiving and the hotels seem to make a big fuss, the hotels are all decorated, some put an ice-rink up and do special activities both on site and locally and lots for kids (don't know if you have any). They also do holiday meals as either a big buffet kind of thing or as full service.
Along these lines, while I'm sure it isn't cheap, the Timberline Lodge (in Mt. Hood, Oregon) has a nice Christmas celebration, particularly for skiiers.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:28 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhunt
Why not enjoy your first American Xmas in the City? There's always something fun to do there.
Try adding some "American touches" to the things you usually do at Xmas?

Like sunbathing......

Its more a hassle to travel over major Hols. I'd rather stay home, put my feet up, watch the telly, nod off on the couch.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:51 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

We just moved from London to SF and I have no intention of going home for Christmas looking forward to a different one (as long as our stuff arrives by then).
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Why not enjoy your first American Xmas in the City? There's always something fun to do there.
Try adding some "American touches" to the things you usually do at Xmas?

Like sunbathing......

Its more a hassle to travel over major Hols. I'd rather stay home, put my feet up, watch the telly, nod off on the couch.
I doubt they'll be much sunbathing in SF in Dec. But they do go all out with the decorating and the music everywhere.
If you search about I bet theres all kinds of things going on. You could go to the theatre and have Christmas dinner in a fancy hotel if you don't want to cook.
We went to SF for a few days and came home on Christmas day, lots of fun shopping and all the usual stuff, if was very eerie driving through the city with hardly any traffic or people anywhere. There seemed to be a lot of Japanese Tourists in December, or maybe thats all the time
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Spent one Christmas in Vegas - never do it again - it's like it doesn't exist!
Really? Sounds kinda good to me!

At least all the Xmas crap doesn't start full-on til after Thanksgiving in the USA.

If anyone is traveling - then on a practical note - be a bit careful where you may have any change of planes whilst flying. A lot of the USA has bad weather in late December.

That 3 hour layover can soon get a bit iffy when your 1st plane lands 2 hours late due to a snow storm.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Flights are pricey, hotels are pricey.

Stay home, enjoy it....it'll all get taken down and not exist come boxing day anyway.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

If you like to ski you could spend a LOT of money on going to a resort for a Christmassy experience.

Otherwise stay home with your own traditions and don't be surprised when the Americans throw their Christmas trees out for the trash on Boxing Day!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:23 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Picnic
If you like to ski you could spend a LOT of money on going to a resort for a Christmassy experience.

Otherwise stay home with your own traditions and don't be surprised when the Americans throw their Christmas trees out for the trash on Boxing Day!
I thought they would stay up for ages!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.