Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas parcels

Christmas parcels

Old Oct 13th 2012, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas parcels

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Does anybody really want home-made crafts though Bob?
Just kidding!
Well depends....we make 'em as they're cheap and fun...home made frames with pictures the kids have made...well scribbles...that and the missus hand spins yarn as my mother knits, but so does the missus, so my mum makes her stuff too.

Anyway, for surface mail from the UK to the US, the deadline is 15th October to be guaranteed it'll get here by Christmas.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

www.etsy.com
Old Oct 13th 2012, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yeah, but that requires buying them, rather than making your own

It is a great site though
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Not going the other way, sending parcels to the UK.

3rd December is the last day to guarantee parcels sent the cheapest option from the US will reach the EU by Christmas.

It starts to get stupidly expensive there after for quicker delivery.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob

Anyway, for surface mail from the UK to the US, the deadline is 15th October to be guaranteed it'll get here by Christmas.
My mum (lives in the UK) is supremely organized. She is the kind that gets Christmas present in the January sales and then saves them for a year; but that's not the point.

Anyway, she posted her International Christmas Cards by Oct 15th using surface mail. We received it here on the West Coast on Oct 26th! She was more than a little embarrassed when I told her it was our first card, probably by at least a month!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
My mum (lives in the UK) is supremely organized. She is the kind that gets Christmas present in the January sales and then saves them for a year; but that's not the point.

Anyway, she posted her International Christmas Cards by Oct 15th using surface mail. We received it here on the West Coast on Oct 26th! She was more than a little embarrassed when I told her it was our first card, probably by at least a month!
Should have signed it and sent it back.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I buy gifts from this website http://www.gonedigging.co.uk/ - esp soccer gifts - really good quality and based in Harpenden, Herts where Mum lives - still have to pay the shipping though! Just bought a bunch of personalised star tree decorations and soccer diaries yesterday.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Of the 8 parcels my mum sent, only received the one yet

Definitely hit or miss this surface mail stuff.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Of the 8 parcels my mum sent, only received the one yet

Definitely hit or miss this surface mail stuff.
Your mum sent 8 parcels. Wow. Can she be my mum too?

We have two more parcels on the way, posted today. I'll see how long these take, but since I want the contents, I am sure it will take weeks!

(My mum is also a serious John Lewis shopper, and since we have 3 of their grandkids, we are often the thrilled recipients of her little 'investments'. Who needs Father Christmas when you have generous grandparents?)
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Your mum sent 8 parcels. Wow. Can she be my mum too?
It was only meant to be 2 parcels but the postie woman told her it would be better and much cheaper if she sent them in smaller, uniform parcels as it would get much better rates, so she repacked them.

Mostly stuff for the girls, a pair of coats are two of the parcels
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

Does anybody know about sending homemade food from the UK to the US? I tried looking on the US Customs page and the USPS page for information, but I got a little bogged down in all of it. I THINK a homemade Christmas pudding should be okay. My mother-in-law wants to send us one, but wasn't sure if she could send her own homemade one or if she should send a prepackaged one.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8
Does anybody know about sending homemade food from the UK to the US? I tried looking on the US Customs page and the USPS page for information, but I got a little bogged down in all of it. I THINK a homemade Christmas pudding should be okay. My mother-in-law wants to send us one, but wasn't sure if she could send her own homemade one or if she should send a prepackaged one.
Fruits and veg are a no-no, unless it's prepackaged.

With the booze in it, it's probably asking for some jobsworth to give it a bit of extra attention...
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8
I have been sent a couple in previous years. It probably comes down to whether anyone opens it to look or not.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

two more parcels arrived from my mother and they were battered to shit.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
two more parcels arrived from my mother and they were battered to shit.
Is that a Glaswegian specialty like the Mars Bars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.