British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Christmas Grub (British) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/christmas-grub-british-334165/)

franc11s Oct 28th 2005 3:32 pm

Christmas Grub (British)

So what's on your shopping list for Christmas Grub.

Last year I ordered a load of stuff from http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com/

It was the same price as Tesco plus a bit more for shipping and some profit. I ordered about 150 quids worth - it was great when all the goodies turned up :)

I normally get a couple of tins of Quality Street, one for work and one for home shipped direct too. My sister normally does that as the post office shipping ain't bad. Can't have a Christmas with me QUality Street Tin.

Sage stuffing.
Cadburys stockings (for my 2 (young at heart) 17 and 14 year old boys
Walkers Crisps
Yes - Atora (they get in in somehow)
Jammie Dodgers
Christmas Puds
Heinz Salad cream
loads of favorite sweeties...

The customer service was awesome last Christmas - the lady who runs it when out and got Walkers Prawn Cocktail Crisps for us to add to the shipment.

I can get a lot of stuff in Atlanta but buying this way actually works out cheaper than the cheapest brit store cause shipping ain't bad.

Chorlton Oct 28th 2005 3:35 pm

Re: Christmas Grub (British)

Thanks for the info, I'm always looking for a good deal at these places :)

BritGuyTN Oct 28th 2005 3:54 pm

I just got back from the UK - marks and sparks

1 big xmas pud
10 small puds for gifts
10 small xmas cakes
mince pies

yum

mandpete Oct 28th 2005 4:07 pm

I have just this very second got back from my local Shop Rite and managed to buy some Crosse & Blackwell mincemeat to make mince pies. I tried the US kind last year and it was far too sweet and sickly. I have also bought all the ingredients to make a Christmas cake, I'm just about to soak the fruit in Brandy and will make the actual cake tomorrow night. My parents will be bringing a large M&S Xmas pud, Paxo, loads of chocolate and crisps over with them on 23 December.

britvic Oct 28th 2005 4:44 pm

I got a christmas pudding at World market, $12 family size. Wish I could have an M&S one though :(

nethead Oct 28th 2005 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
So what's on your shopping list for Christmas Grub.

Last year I ordered a load of stuff from http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com/

It was the same price as Tesco plus a bit more for shipping and some profit. I ordered about 150 quids worth - it was great when all the goodies turned up :)

I normally get a couple of tins of Quality Street, one for work and one for home shipped direct too. My sister normally does that as the post office shipping ain't bad. Can't have a Christmas with me QUality Street Tin.

Sage stuffing.
Cadburys stockings (for my 2 (young at heart) 17 and 14 year old boys
Walkers Crisps
Yes - Atora (they get in in somehow)
Jammie Dodgers
Christmas Puds
Heinz Salad cream
loads of favorite sweeties...

The customer service was awesome last Christmas - the lady who runs it when out and got Walkers Prawn Cocktail Crisps for us to add to the shipment.

I can get a lot of stuff in Atlanta but buying this way actually works out cheaper than the cheapest brit store cause shipping ain't bad.

Cool thanks, we're almost out of teabags :scared:
But one thing, why would anyone need to buy Dr Pepper from them? Surely it's cheaper to buy it here...

Annette

Russ&Jayne Oct 28th 2005 4:50 pm

I've got a Harrods Christmas Pud for anyone that wants to buy it. All new and sealed, sell by date is 2007 if I remember rightly. I was given 2 of them on my last visit. Can't stand the stuff meself.

Pigtails Oct 28th 2005 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I've got a Harrods Christmas Pud for anyone that wants to buy it. All new and sealed, sell by date is 2007 if I remember rightly. I was given 2 of them on my last visit. Can't stand the stuff meself.

I'll take it if you're giving it away :D C'mon, you're only gonna use it as a door stop anyway!

Russ&Jayne Oct 28th 2005 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I'll take it if you're giving it away :D C'mon, you're only gonna use it as a door stop anyway!

I aint flippin giving it away after luggin it all the way back here. It can go to the highest bidder or I'll release it into Ebay...and prob get 99c for it :rolleyes:

Pigtails Oct 28th 2005 5:01 pm

I aint flippin giving it away after luggin it all the way back here. It can go to the highest bidder or I'll release it into Ebay...and prob get 99c for it :rolleyes:

Alrigh, I'll give you 99c for it! :D

Bob Oct 28th 2005 5:47 pm

anyone know how long clotted cream brandy butter keeps?
local place has some, with a sell by date of May 200* yup, that year bit is scratched *l*

Russ&Jayne Oct 28th 2005 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
anyone know how long clotted cream brandy butter keeps?
local place has some, with a sell by date of May 200* yup, that year bit is scratched *l*

Is that the stuff in a small glass jar? If it is don't waste your money and make your own brandy butter. It's shite :o

Pigtails Oct 28th 2005 7:19 pm

Is that the stuff in a small glass jar? If it is don't waste your money and make your own brandy butter. It's shite :o

I'm going to take that as a "no" on the 99c offer huh? ;)

Bob Oct 28th 2005 7:53 pm

about 7cm across and 5cm high...not quite a cyclinder...about $4 so a tad pricey anyway.

Lottie Oct 28th 2005 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I just got back from the UK - marks and sparks

1 big xmas pud
10 small puds for gifts
10 small xmas cakes
mince pies

yum

So pleased M&S are stocking Xmas goods. Will be there in 2 weeks and had hoped/planned to stock up then.