Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas Gifts to the UK

Christmas Gifts to the UK

Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Gifts to the UK

We don't bother for the most part using sites and using local for my nephew is a bit shite because Austria is a bit 20 years behind for online stuff, plus he wants US stuff.

Gets a bit hard as he's got caps of all the local sports teams now and they're not cheap to begin with but they're the easiest thing to ship.

For my mum and sister, we make stuff, mostly with the girls, so a hand print bit of art or some hand made felted gloves or what not. Basically anything small that we can shove in a small bubble wrap envelope and send which seems to be the cheapest option.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
That's what my family do sending gifts this end, trouble is if I am buying online myself (for presents for son/OH) then I don't know which deliveries are mine or presents, so consequently I've ended up the last two years opening deliveries thinking they were mine and instead they were presents for me ...
Easy. Address it C/O to the person if it's a gift and to you if it ain't...it's what we do, order everything and ship it to the grandmothers, but as it's all gifts it is c/o to who the sender is so they know which ones to open and wrap up later.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well I've just learnt my lesson. 3 packages sent home, just packets of candy and such like, 118 bucks!!!!!!! Jesus!!!!! Everyone's having M&S hampers next year!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Ok, well I've just learnt my lesson. 3 packages sent home, just packets of candy and such like, 118 bucks!!!!!!! Jesus!!!!! Everyone's having M&S hampers next year!!!!!!!!
Yeah, it's pricey.

We use the PO International Flat rate boxes. It's still expensive, but you can cram a lot of candy into a box with a 20lb weight limit, and at 70 bucks or so, it seems the best way to do it if you want to send stuff from here and not source it in the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

NewJerseyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We have done vouchers and M&S over the years, but this year in my husband's wisdom we actually went shopping...and posted a wonderful box of clothes to his mum in UK. Ofcourse the Customs tax on the shipment was 40 quid and they charge the recipient until we stepped in and paid for her! Yikes!! So we won't be doing that again....although she loves the clothes and that they're from the US. It really wasn't worth the shipping and additional customs! We told her to open it and wear everything already, and get some use out of it all!! And next year we said we'll just send her a bundle of cash!
We send National Trust membership to his Dad which he loves and it only costs $1.10 to send the new member cards in an envelope each year!! Result!