Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas Gift Ideas

Christmas Gift Ideas

Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Christmas Gift Ideas

Originally Posted by studentgwant
Another vote for Amazon here.
And from me too

I've ordered almost all of my Xmas gifts for rellies in the UK (indeed have spent a few hours today doing so) from Amazon and have done so for approx the past 18 or 19 years, when Amazon was only selling books. I remember buying a few items from other British companies where I could see their products online but having to fax the orders to them!

We became expats 20 years ago and back then in the early days of online merchants, Amazon was the "go to" company for overseas orders, and for me it remains so, especially since we have moved to different countries and changing our credit card billing addresses - so easy to do with Amazon.

I'm a member of Amazon Prime in the UK and the U.S.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:00 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Gift Ideas

Couple of things got sent back, but mostly Amazon.co.uk. Also used a couple of other UK based online stores, fossil, ebay, the throw company...
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road

I've been wrapping myself up in an aluminium/composite tube for 10 hours... as well as preordering from Amazon.co.uk.

Kids may like gifts, but even for them, everyone is really just happy to see the person.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

Another fan of Amazon.co.uk here. I also use Etsy, and look for stores in the UK (select on left hand side) then pay with PayPal. Or search "(item)site:UK" for stores that stock a gift I have in mind. I am over paying shipping on hand wrapped, ribbon curled, artisinal, heirloom gift nonsense, (bah humbug) especially when my family have largely cancelled Christmas due to extreme skintness (again).
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Still manage to do it the old fashioned way and ship stuff to the UK and try and avoid Amazon. That way I can buy the really dumb stuff only available in the US for the folks in the UK

You can ship using USPS from most branches of Staples now, keep an eye out for the 20% off shipping coupons in the local paper or that box outside your house that collects spam. The girls at the checkouts in Staples usually keep a pile of said coupons..if you ask nicely
Old Dec 19th 2014, 10:36 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

for my rellies i made a photo calendar on shutterfly and they shipped it direct for $7 each. so i didnt have to handle them and the postage for them was cheaper than i can get via usps. I typically wait til i see a big discount voucher - think this year i got 50% too