British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Christmas Dinner - What Do You Serve? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/christmas-dinner-what-do-you-serve-696020/)

zargof Dec 6th 2010 8:07 pm

Re: Christmas Dinner - What Do You Serve?

Is Pizza Hut open for Christmas?

Leslie Dec 6th 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 9024796)
Is Pizza Hut open for Christmas?

I seriously want to do Mexican for Christmas this year but my family is revolting.

Literally. They are revolting.

What is so un-Christmassy about Mexican? Mexicans love the baby Jebus more than most crackers anyway. :rolleyes:

MrEmjoy Dec 6th 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9024804)
I seriously want to do Mexican for Christmas this year but my family is revolting.

What is so un-Christmassy about Mexican? Mexicans love the baby Jebus more than most crackers anyway. :rolleyes:

Oh how I'm looking forward to this years 'My bitch of a sister story' :eek:

I would eat Mexican food at Christmas though.

Leslie Dec 6th 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 9024813)
Oh how I'm looking forward to this years 'My bitch of a sister story' :eek:

I would eat Mexican food at Christmas though.

I haven't heard from the bitch. I'm hoping that she's finally developed drunk dementia and forgotten the Christmas tradition of her draining me of my will to live.

Mexican food is perfect for crowds. Anyway, they veto me and come up with the perfectly traditional "Ham and Macaroni and Cheese" dinner.

I'm like, "WTF?" Since when did we EVER have macaroni and cheese at Christmas? :confused:

I need a really good macaroni and cheese recipe. :sneaky:

zargof Dec 6th 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9024804)

I'm actually heading to Blighty for Christmas, so I might just eat a bunch of bacon butties for Christmas dinner.

But if not, I think Mexican would be a good idea? Are there any traditional Christmas Mexican dishes?

Burn1911 Dec 6th 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9024818)

What about - Mac & Cheese tacos, Mac & Cheese Quesidillas (sp?) Mac & Cheese burritos.....

Just puttin' it out there ;)

MrEmjoy Dec 6th 2010 8:34 pm

I'll sort you out, there's one in the Recipe thread that my 'Posh or Adult Mac N Cheese'

It's too good for kids.

It's pretty simple, aged cheddar instead of crap cheddar, chunky whole wheat Multi Grain bread crumbs on top and Parmesan with dried Italian herbs mixed in with the bread crumbs, baked, you want the elbows pretty Al Dente as it's baking for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Leslie Dec 6th 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 9024830)
I'm actually heading to Blighty for Christmas, so I might just eat a bunch of bacon butties for Christmas dinner.

But if not, I think Mexican would be a good idea? Are there any traditional Christmas Mexican dishes?

My friends still do a turkey but they also have tamales and mole which are pretty standard at any celebration.

I would forgo the turkey and have some cilantro-shrimp, black beans, queso and quacamole as starters and/or sides.

Leslie Dec 6th 2010 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 9024847)
I'll sort you out, there's one in the Recipe thread that my 'Posh or Adult Mac N Cheese'

It's too good for kids.

It's pretty simple, aged cheddar instead of crap cheddar, chunky whole wheat Multi Grain bread crumbs on top and Parmesan with dried Italian herbs mixed in with the bread crumbs, baked, you want the elbows pretty Al Dente as it's baking for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Good. I'll find it.

Leslie Dec 6th 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Burn1911 (Post 9024838)
What about - Mac & Cheese tacos, Mac & Cheese Quesidillas (sp?) Mac & Cheese burritos.....

Just puttin' it out there ;)

:p

Bill_S Dec 6th 2010 8:47 pm

I thought New Yorkers had take-out Chinese food for Christmas.

helwardman Dec 6th 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9024267)
Last year we had a turducken

Anything with the word "turd" in the name should not be eaten. ;)

Leslie Dec 6th 2010 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by helwardman (Post 9024874)
Anything with the word "turd" in the name should not be eaten. ;)

Anything with three birds stuffed up each others assholes should be suspect as well.

ChocolateBabz Dec 6th 2010 10:23 pm

Best Mac n Cheese in the World - I'm not bragging it's just a fact

200g/7 oz Elbow Macaroni (dry weight)
50g/2oz Butter
3 tbsp Plain Flour
500ml/17 fl oz Milk
225g Cream Cheese Softened
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
2tsp country style mustard
225g/8oz cubed cheddar cheese (mild, medium or mature as suits you)
125g/4oz fresh breadcrumbs
30g/1oz butter (melted)
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley

Heat Oven to 200°C. Cook Macaroni as per packet. In large saucepan melt butter, stir in flour, cook over med heat until smooth and bubbly. Stir in milk ladleful by ladleful making sure each ladleful is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir in cream cheese, salt, pepper & mustard and stir until cream cheese has melted and sauce has thickened 3-4 min. Stir in the macaroni and the cubed cheese and then tip the lot into a casserole dish. In a small bowl stir together the breadcrumbs, additional butter and parsley and sprinkle over the mac n cheese. Bake for 15-20 mins.

If it makes you feel any better I'll be having warm prawn cocktail (made at least 3 days in advance), dishwater soup with dubious veg floating in it, dry turkey, soggy sprouts and tinned corn all served cold and followed by a cheese board (sold cheap cos it was out of date) and sherry trifle topped with dream topping - cream??? god no it would go off!!

Tarkak9 Dec 6th 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9024790)
We'll be doing this until mid-January.

yay! ... can't wait for the "Martin Luther King Day Dinner - What Do You Serve?"