Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas Crrackers

Wikiposts

Christmas Crrackers

Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:03 am
Just Joined

norfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nicenorfolkgirl is just really nice
Default Re: Christmas Crrackers

If I can't arrange for someone to carry things over I try to mail stuff immediately after Thanksgiving. That said cards don't need that long but better safe.... (and then those I do late still have a chance of getting there)
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:28 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, I'd better start shopping!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Along with the Christmas theme when do you start posting cards and presents back to the UK?
Middle of November if you want to send stuff cheaply, gets expensive by end of first week of December...cards are worth sending in around the end of the first week of December in case they get stuck in a glut of mail, especially if you're sending square cards.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Home goods here still doesn't have crackers in. World Market did, they looked a bit chintzy. They had loads of McVities on clearance, hob nobs, etc etc They also had the Cadbury advent calendars in (got two) plus loads of biscuits.
They also got in the Christmas puddings and mince pies. So I have to go back for those.
Got some of those Bavarian sausages from Trader Joes (Thanks whoever suggested that) along with the weetabix I'll give the sausage reviews once I eat them
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Got some of those Bavarian sausages from Trader Joes (Thanks whoever suggested that) along with the weetabix I'll give the sausage reviews once I eat them

And we were looking at an apartment that was down the road from a weetabix factory, the whole town smelled of cereal in the soggy morning
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

And we were looking at an apartment that was down the road from a weetabix factory, the whole town smelled of cereal in the soggy morning
That would probably put me off for life.
I know theres a Dog food factory we drive past once in a while (an hour from us) and ewww the smell, I don't know how people live by it. However the General mills factory in Lodi smells delicious when they are cooking.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how I can fit all these Pot Noodles in my suitcase?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

All the clothes I brought are being left at daughters so I can fill my case with tea bags and choccie
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

hack off a leg and stuff them down your trousers?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
hack off a leg and stuff them down your trousers?
Nah, that's where I stuck my black pudding.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

MrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by traceym

All the clothes I brought are being left at daughters so I can fill my case with tea bags and choccie
Do you have to declare the food when you enter? If so what do they say? Is there a limit on the amount you can bring? (clearly as long as it's within your luggage limit)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsBriggo
Do you have to declare the food when you enter? If so what do they say? Is there a limit on the amount you can bring? (clearly as long as it's within your luggage limit)
There is a dollar limit...for US citizens and residents it's several hundred dollars. Basically food you can't bring into the US is soft cheese, meat, any products containing beef, fruits and veg. You have to declare everything...I usually put candy, tea, cookies, cheese etc...you don't need to be specific.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:31 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by MrsBriggo
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is a dollar limit...for US citizens and residents it's several hundred dollars. Basically food you can't bring into the US is soft cheese, meat, any products containing beef, fruits and veg. You have to declare everything...I usually put candy, tea, cookies, cheese etc...you don't need to be specific.
What JG said.

I usually bring in a bumper haul around 3 times a year. Occasionally they get a bit excited (e.g. last night at BOS - "So when you say tea bags, is the tea actually in bags like regular tea bags?" and "Why are you bringing baked beans to Boston?) but mostly they don't even bat an eyelid.

The two times I've ever had my cases opened was where when we somehow got onto the subject of the actual flavours of Pot Noodle I had (and how could a C&M Pot Noodle possibly be vegetarian?) and also the time I mentioned the word honey. Even then, both of those instances brought on a 3-minute disinterested rummage at customs before being send on my merry way and with my stash intact.

Last edited by tonrob; Oct 15th 2010 at 11:33 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What JG said.

I usually bring in a bumper haul around 3 times a year. Occasionally they get a bit excited (e.g. last night at BOS - "So when you say tea bags, is the tea actually in bags like regular tea bags?" and "Why are you bringing baked beans to Boston?) but mostly they don't even bat an eyelid.

The two times I've ever had my cases opened was where when we somehow got onto the subject of the actual flavours of Pot Noodle I had (and how could a C&M Pot Noodle possibly be vegetarian?) and also the time I mentioned the word honey. Even then, both of those instances brought on a 3-minute disinterested rummage at customs before being send on my merry way and with my stash intact.
Whenever I declare I'm bringing in tea bags my bags are always put through the x-ray machine.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Whenever I declare I'm bringing in tea bags my bags are always put through the x-ray machine.

That's because you have the guilty "tea smuggler" look on your face

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.