British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Christmas crackers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/christmas-crackers-265791/)

warksgirl Nov 11th 2004 3:27 am

Christmas crackers

I just received a Crate & Barrel catalogue and they have Christmas crackers in it. It doesn't mention anything about the prizes in the product description. I'm assuming that there's something in them.

Has anybody bought them from C&B before?

Are the prizes, etc. the same as ones back home? Or should I expect something different? In fact, is there anything at all inside? The description says "...in bright metallic paper with the traditional 'snap' when pulled."

Hmmmm... :confused:

sibsie Nov 11th 2004 12:41 pm

Re: Christmas crackers

They don't have pressies in them, they have sweets. I've been on a quest to find crackers for a while now. I've given up and am going to get mumsy to try and send me my favourite M&S ones over. Not sure if they'll make it through customs but I'll give it a go.

Russ&Jayne Nov 11th 2004 1:32 pm

They have a tonne of different crackers in Pier 1. They're all made in the UK too, so here's hoping..

NC Penguin Nov 11th 2004 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
They have a tonne of different crackers in Pier 1. They're all made in the UK too, so here's hoping..

Ooh. Got to get myself to Pier 1 then.

I forsee a problem. Going to be flying to Cleveland, OH for Crimbo and there's no way I could carry the crackers in even my checked in luggage...

Gotta come up with a plan.

NC Penguin

sibsie Nov 11th 2004 6:09 pm

[QUOTE=NC PenguinGotta come up with a plan.
[/QUOTE]Can you mail the crackers out ahead of time?

CRABBY Nov 11th 2004 6:35 pm

Re: Christmas crackers: I FOUND SOME!

Originally Posted by sibsie
They don't have pressies in them, they have sweets. I've been on a quest to find crackers for a while now. I've given up and am going to get mumsy to try and send me my favourite M&S ones over. Not sure if they'll make it through customs but I'll give it a go.

Last Christmas, I had no trouble finding British-style Christmas crackers in TARGET. I love Target almost as much as I used to love M&S!! :eek:

CRABBY Nov 11th 2004 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by warksgirl
I just received a Crate & Barrel catalogue and they have Christmas crackers in it. It doesn't mention anything about the prizes in the product description. I'm assuming that there's something in them.

Has anybody bought them from C&B before?

Are the prizes, etc. the same as ones back home? Or should I expect something different? In fact, is there anything at all inside? The description says "...in bright metallic paper with the traditional 'snap' when pulled."

Hmmmm... :confused:

TRY TARGET! I got them there last year. :)

sibsie Nov 11th 2004 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CRABBY

I've lived here 10 months and much to my shame I've never been inside either a Target or Walmart.

Hilden Nov 11th 2004 6:51 pm

I got crackers from the Christmas tree shop & saw some in Marshalls today as well.

NC Penguin Nov 11th 2004 7:20 pm

Were the ones from Target any good? Do they come with a hat and a joke? Were the snaps any good?

NC Penguin

CRABBY Nov 12th 2004 12:59 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Were the ones from Target any good? Do they come with a hat and a joke? Were the snaps any good?

NC Penguin

YES: They were better than most I got before in England! They had a joke, a prathat, and a little toy-comb, or plastic jumping frog, or brooch, that kinda thing. They weren't the 'luxury' kind - just good quality common-all-garden ones really! I still have some left from last year for this Christmas, and am hoping that the 'snaps' still snap!

Celtic_Angel Nov 12th 2004 1:03 am

YES: They were better than most I got before in England! They had a joke, a prathat, and a little toy-comb, or plastic jumping frog, or brooch, that kinda thing. They weren't the 'luxury' kind - just good quality common-all-garden ones really! I still have some left from last year for this Christmas, and am hoping that the 'snaps' still snap!

that's odd i always shop at target and not once do i ever remember seeing christmas crackers!! i'll definitly look for them this year....i've often seen them in stores like Ross,Marshalls,T.J Max etc but sometimes they're either too small or too expensive.....................target here i come! :)

Ash UK/US Nov 12th 2004 4:32 am

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've lived here 10 months and much to my shame I've never been inside either a Target or Walmart.

JMO but target is cleaner and tidier than wally world and FYI they own Marshal Fields in the US and Tesco in the UK.

Ash :)

CalgaryAMC Nov 12th 2004 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
JMO but target is cleaner and tidier than wally world and FYI they own Marshal Fields in the US and Tesco in the UK.

Ash :)

How do you know they own Tesco? This information thrills me -- to think, white trash in Manchester is shopping at the same company that white trash in Virginia Beach is! I want to find out more but can't find anything linking Target and Tesco.

Ash UK/US Nov 12th 2004 4:54 am

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
How do you know they own Tesco? This information thrills me -- to think, white trash in Manchester is shopping at the same company that white trash in Virginia Beach is! I want to find out more but can't find anything linking Target and Tesco.

Either my mum or sister had told me it was in the news over there (in the UK) last year.
Ash