British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Christmas--in which country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/christmas-country-195890/)

MrsLondon Dec 9th 2003 2:48 pm

Christmas--in which country?

Will you be staying at home in the US or flying back to Blightly this Yuletide? We'll be at home Xmas Day, then on Boxing Day, hubby flies back to the US to stay with his folks for 10 days. I don't mind him going alone as I have already been over with him twice this year, and my mum is staying with us too so I'll not be alone. We also had his mom out to stay in London with us for Thanksgiving so were able to exchange presents then.
Hubby's brother-in-law has a gardening business and does a lot of shovelling and ploughing when it snows, so hubs can hopefully get a bit of work helping him out, as he has in past years (no snow when he was there last year though!)

jcapulet Dec 9th 2003 3:28 pm

Re: Christmas--in which country?

We'll be here in the US, although I hope in a few years we can fly to Canada to spend it with Cory's family. I wish we had Boxing Day in the US. I think it's hilarious that I had no idea what boxing day was before I met Cory, I thought it was some sort of boxing fight day...LMAO!!! Shows what I know, blah ;)

Juliet

Ash UK/US Dec 9th 2003 5:59 pm

I would have loved to have gone back to england for Christmas unfortunately I can't :( Last year I couldn't because I had not done my AOS (I moved here in Nov) this year I will have a new baby. Hopefully we will make it back for a visit in the spring.

Ash :)

Yosser Dec 9th 2003 6:15 pm

I wish I could be in England for Xmas, for me its the best time of year, alot of companys shut down for the week off (some 2 weeks) better than the measily one day here in the U.S.

I always try and save a day vacation or even take a day off un-paid for Dec 26th, I mean who wants to work on boxing day I ask ya...

I used to love going on a pub crawl on boxing day with me new crimbo jumper on with matching socks whilst getting absolutley rat-arsed, then staggering home to find ma cooking freshly made chips with left over cold chicken/turkey with haywards onions and pickled red cabbage, before finally passing out in front on the telly with the fire on.....Ah such fond memories.

effi Dec 9th 2003 6:20 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
I wish I could be in England for Xmas, for me its the best time of year, alot of companys shut down for the week off (some 2 weeks) better than the measily one day here in the U.S.

I always try and save a day vacation or even take a day off un-paid for Dec 26th, I mean who wants to work on boxing day I ask ya...

I used to love going on a pub crawl on boxing day with me new crimbo jumper on with matching socks whilst getting absolutley rat-arsed, then staggering home to find ma cooking freshly made chips with left over cold chicken/turkey with haywards onions and pickled red cabbage, before finally passing out in front on the telly with the fire on.....Ah such fond memories.
Sounds perfect right about now.

Pimpbot Dec 9th 2003 6:32 pm

US here and I am more than happy with that, seeing that its my first xmas here. To tell you the truth, after doing the same thing for 30 years in the UK, it will be a nice change of pace. No cold walks to my aunts and no being forced to watch all the christmas episodes of Emerdale, Coronation street and Eastenders. Of course, I will miss the Morcombe and Wise re run :D

Ash UK/US Dec 9th 2003 6:51 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
US here and I am more than happy with that, seeing that its my first xmas here. To tell you the truth, after doing the same thing for 30 years in the UK, it will be a nice change of pace. No cold walks to my aunts and no being forced to watch all the christmas episodes of Emerdale, Coronation street and Eastenders. Of course, I will miss the Morcombe and Wise re run :D
Last year was my first christmas in the US and while it was much better than I thought I it would be it still wasn't the as nice as an english christmas.

Ash :)

CaliforniaBride Dec 9th 2003 7:00 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Xmas in the UK. Really looking forward to seeing all my family and friends. And, yes, watching all the Xmas telly! Crap but great!

Yosser Dec 9th 2003 8:01 pm

.....also xmas eve in the U.K is great, every year since I left school consisted of starting at the working mens club, then gracing as many pubs around Weymouth as possible, then catching the bus back to my local (the New Inn) singing and chanting to closing time, then freezing my gonads off on the dreaded 1 mile walk in -20 wind chill back to the house

Finally a talk to Huey in the ceramic telephone, sluuring "I'll never drink again" and waking up xmas morning with the headache from hell:D

ladyofthelake Dec 9th 2003 8:23 pm

I know I've said it before, but I'm going back for crimbo. My mum is going crazy, buying enough food to feed the five thousand. She called today to tell me that she's bought some of those chocolates that I like, "you know the ones?" she said "Oh god," I'm thinking "not Ferero Roche" but alas it was, 2 boxes of em http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/sick-yuck2.gif

Had a look at the TV listings and Morecombe and Wise are on in the morning, plus the usual Top of the Pops before the Queens speech, then a choice of either Dale Winton taking over from Noel Edmonds to give special treats to the deserving, or the bond movie. Who could've predicted that lot eh? http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/c...ratchhead5.gif

swingin scot Dec 9th 2003 8:29 pm

Going home to Scotland for Christmas ... 3 weeks!! I just can't wait. I had to stay here a few years back for 2 years and it just wasn't the same. Just isn't the same without freezing your buns off. Even looking forward to the usual crap on telly :)

Webbie Dec 9th 2003 9:14 pm

If I had the choice I would actually like to spend Xmas back in Blighty.
The pub thing... finishing work early on Xmas Eve and either going to the nearest bar with your workmates and have a few and then legging it around the shops feeling all merry and then buying some junk that you didn't need to get but you did because it made you laugh when you pressed its... <SNIP !>

I used to think Christmas was really commericalised in the UK. How wrong I was ! At least some aspects are still traditional.
Then there's the Queen's speech (or the alternative on Channel 4) and then The Great Escape* or a Bond film.
Eating the turkey and then the Christmas Pud !
Hmmmm....custard... *slobbers*

And finally there is BOXING DAY !
No holiday here - one day off and the sales starts at 6am the next day. Come one ! Give everyone another day off. Need that long to disgest the Xmas dinner.

*(Incidently my wife hadn't seen The Great Escape until Xmas last year and she was gripped - best film she's seen. )

MrsLondon Dec 9th 2003 9:33 pm

Christmas

What about The Great Escape and The Wizard of Oz? It just wouldn't be Xmas without them! :p

MrsLondon Dec 9th 2003 9:35 pm

Re: Christmas

Originally posted by MrsLondon
What about The Great Escape and The Wizard of Oz? It just wouldn't be Xmas without them! :p
Heh you beat me to it!

Pimpbot Dec 9th 2003 9:39 pm

Re: Christmas

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I heard that its a bit of a myth that the Wizzard of Oz was shown mainly at Christmas. I always thought this was the case, but a friend told me it was not the case?. I have already sat through the first 45 minutes of it 3 times since november, because my wife loves the film. Fortunately, she has fallen asleep during two screenings and the 3rd time we switched over to Christmas vacation :D