Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas "care" package from home

Christmas "care" package from home

Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Christmas "care" package from home

The mailman just bought me 4 large parcels from my brother and sister in law, containing...

4 different types of Christmas pud
3 boxes of Royal Edinburgh shortcake(wife loves the stuff!)
1 box of Asda chocolate covered short bread
3 multipacks of Fry's Turkish delight
2 packs of flakes
2 packs of Birds instant custard
1 pack of Birds brandy sauce
1 Birds sherry trifle mix
1 Birds strawberry trifle mix
And a partridge in a pear tree

Christmas is here! woo hoo!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas "care" package from home

Originally posted by Pimpbot
The mailman just bought me 4 large parcels from my brother and sister in law, containing...

3 boxes of Royal Edinburgh shortcake(wife loves the stuff!)
1 box of Asda chocolate covered short bread
3 multipacks of Fry's Turkish delight
2 packs of flakes
2 packs of Birds instant custard
1 pack of Birds brandy sauce
1 Birds sherry trifle mix
1 Birds strawberry trifle mix
And a partridge in a pear tree

Christmas is here! woo hoo!
Lucky you.
My family always sends us presents not food, wish they'd send us a Christmas pud.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Gimee those Flakes, keep the Turkish Delight..smells like perfume...Yuck!

Do you know you can buy all kinds of English/Scottish shortbread here in the states?

Bet that lot cost your brother a tidy packet to send, hey? Enjoy!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:18 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas "care" package from home

Originally posted by Pimpbot
You don't need four - can you spare one and chuck it over here ?

My Dad & Step Mam sent us a care package a few months ago (with mushy peas and Jaffa Cakes !) and it cost them a bomb so dare not ask again...
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Webbie...where do you live..Outer Mongolia? You can get Mushy peas here and Jaffa Cakes..Bought a load of peas the other day for 89 cents!..Lovely...especially if you add a touch of mint sauce to them...talk about shirt lifters though! Had enough gas to fly to England non stop..Watch out Virgin..we may have a new class of carrier here soon..
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

When they first went to the post office, they had all the goodies in one parcel and it was going to cost £49 pounds to post. So they took it home and repackaged it in parcels each under 2kg(I think) because that cost a little less to post.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:39 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Webbie...where do you live..Outer Mongolia? You can get Mushy peas here and Jaffa Cakes..
Where ? I haven't seen any.
We've got a (Costco) World Market here. Nowt. Tried a few Asian and Indian shops, nope.
There seems to be one type of pea and that's it !

I read the recipe on another thread to make mushy peas and it's too much bother. Give me Batchelors chip shop mushy peas anyday !
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Pim..well at least they sent it to you!

I have this battle axe of a much elder sister, that was going to send us a parcel years back but upon arrival at the PO, found it was going to cost them 25 pounds...so guess what they did? Took it all home and ate it..Mars bars and all! Now how is that for crass? Better never to have made mention than let everyone know how cheap they are. Nothing like family!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in Florida- Albertsons have just had a delivery of Mr Kipling cakes- a whole stand (well they did have- till I raided the place). Mince pies, apple pies, cherry bakewells, vienese whirls, mini battenburgs, and my favourite blackcurrant pies...hehe. They also have an ethnic aisle stand of Brit foods and chocolate.

MrsM I have a spare Christmas pud this year- pm me your address if you want it.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Gimee those Flakes, keep the Turkish Delight..smells like perfume...Yuck!

Do you know you can buy all kinds of English/Scottish shortbread here in the states?

Bet that lot cost your brother a tidy packet to send, hey? Enjoy!
I've seen shortbread here in New York in a couple of stores. Fairways for instance. But pricy...
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cheap as dirt here in CA is Shortbread. Wish we had the Kipling range in Albertsons' like they do in Florida...must be the overload of Brits there.

Anyone care to send me a Blackcurrant Pie and Vienese Whirl? I'll send some peas in return to make mushy peas...deal? Drooling here.

Last edited by Poshpaws; Dec 9th 2003 at 10:47 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:24 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Hmmmmm I might be making a list and checking it twice tomorrow for some serious bartering!

Off the top of my head I know I can get....

Jaffa cakes, Trifle mix (Birds) and Custard mix. Devon Custard in tin, Heinz Tomato soup, Chocolate Digestives, Lion Bars, Aero's and Flakes. HP Curry sauce. Marmite, Picallily, Lucozade (YUK), PG Tips, Pinhead Oatmeal/Porridge, Knorr soup mixes AND Mushy Peas.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Hmmmmm I might be making a list and checking it twice tomorrow for some serious bartering!

Off the top of my head I know I can get....

Jaffa cakes, Trifle mix (Birds) and Custard mix. Devon Custard in tin, Heinz Tomato soup, Chocolate Digestives, Lion Bars, Aero's and Flakes. HP Curry sauce. Marmite, Picallily, Lucozade (YUK), PG Tips, Pinhead Oatmeal/Porridge, Knorr soup mixes AND Mushy Peas.

Yep we can get all that and hob nobs, double deckers, mint aeros, ribena, ambrosia rice pudding, ambrosia tinned custard, lemon curd, jam, bisto in several flavours, hula hoops in salt and vinegar and original, Heinz lentil soup, potato and leek soup...

All from the local Kroger signature store. Sams Club had Walkers shortbread this weekend, Target has real toblerone.

It's so very hard to resist......... I'm never going to lose any weight at this rate.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I am forgetting they also have maltesers in packets and the box and quality street, but they are not cheap. Still, I have two tins of cadbury's roses hidden in my closet that my parents brought over in November.........

There is no hope, I am doomed to always be a fatty...
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:51 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We can get most of that stuff round here too, and choccy digestives as well. Saw some the other day - one of the little packs that had printed on it "special value pack - 69p". And right next to it a sticker saying $3.99. Yikes!!! It still snuck itslef into my basket though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.