Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chopping down your own tree?

Chopping down your own tree?

Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chopping down your own tree?

On friday, I'm off to northern Arizona with my brother in law to chop down our very own christmas tree. They get special permits each year for various locations around the state, where they can chop away for all the family trees. Only problem is, its going to be butt freezing cold up there, but it should be a laugh, as long as the cooler with the beer in it is packed
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Chopping down your own tree?

Originally posted by Pimpbot
On friday, I'm off to northern Arizona with my brother in law to chop down our very own christmas tree. They get special permits each year for various locations around the state, where they can chop away for all the family trees. Only problem is, its going to be butt freezing cold up there, but it should be a laugh, as long as the cooler with the beer in it is packed
We do that here in Ohio but don't bother with the permit!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:11 pm
JeanDupont

You might find it useful to take a Pulaski or two along with you

Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

laffing at butt freezing cold .... hehe

Jan
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chopping down your own tree?

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Just hang around the road outside where I live. I'm not kidding when I say the fir trees in my area are being chopped down at an alarming rate (nice smell, shame the trees themselves disappear) to make way for, you guessed it, lots of single family homes/apartments/condos, etc.

Very sad. The trees are one of the glories of NC. Soon to be something said in the past tense...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeanDupont
You might find it useful to take a Pulaski or two along with you
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Slightly off subject, but here on the Island you cant even lop off a branch without planning permission - unless there is a danger to people or property. Chop a tree down - never! You can however, prune upwards apparently which gets around some of the planning requirements. Planning permission also required for a shed!! And a deck, but not a patio......go figure.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we got our tree. It was 34 degrees up on the rim and the altitude made climbing up and down the forest, bloody knackering!. It never stops amazing me, that just outside the valley of the sun, the cactus gives way to lush forests and beautifull mountain scenery.
Attached Thumbnails Chopping down your own tree?-a1.jpg  
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Attached Thumbnails Chopping down your own tree?-a3.jpg  
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

This one came out a little dark.
Attached Thumbnails Chopping down your own tree?-treehunt19.jpg  
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:46 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Wow! That tree was HUGE!

We chopped our own once and when we got it home it didn't look half the size it was on the hill, plus it wasn't straight!

Todd went to a 'lot' near here and bought one from the boy scouts instread aqnd left ours with them.

I spent hours putting up our fake one on Saturday (I insist on washing it before assembling) but, it looks almost like the real thing, and it makes me happy.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:56 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I put our tree up yesterday. We bought a 9ft (arteficial) one last year, as our old tree from England at 6ft just looked like it had shrunk from the previous year. It just looked pathetic with all the high ceilings they have here.
Your tree looks a bigun Pimpbot.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

In the second picture, of the tree's in the back of the truck, they are my brother in laws tree and his friends. Ours is the little 7 to 8 footer on the floor next to it. I helped haul those buggers up the hill and they weighed a ton!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:31 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

OK! Your brother in laws' tree looks a bigun!

Seriously though, a 7 or 8 footer in Britain would be huge. How big are the others then?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd say one of the tree's that was cut down, was at least 12 feet. And the base was huge!. I unfortunately wasnt there to see him get it through the front door

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.