Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

choosing the sex of ivf babies

choosing the sex of ivf babies

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default choosing the sex of ivf babies

on sky news there has been some reporting of a new government report recommending that couples should be able to choose the sex of their unborn ivf babies
does anyone have an opinion on this? is it allowed in america?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: choosing the sex of ivf babies

Originally Posted by englishnurse
on sky news there has been some reporting of a new government report recommending that couples should be able to choose the sex of their unborn ivf babies
far from aggreeing on designer babies....but choosing the sex i do agree on in some cases.....for example....some male babies can carry hereditory disieses......and all parents want to make sure their children have the best quality of life possible so not in all cases is it bad
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: choosing the sex of ivf babies

Sadly we all know that in some societies eg. Chinese and Indian, boys are highly prized and many pregnancies are terminated as soon as the parents are notified that the child will be a girl. Infanticide and abandonment of newborns is still common in these countries....yet on the other hand I read recently that due to China's 'one child' policy there are now too many males in the population compared to females and there are fears that there will be social problems in the years ahead.

I would only agree with sex selection if there is a medical need as the previous poster has indicated, eg. to prevent haemophilia or other hereditary condition. Surely if a couple is so desperate for a baby that they are prepared to undergo IVF, they would be overjoyed to have a baby of either gender?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Sadly we all know that in some societies eg. Chinese and Indian, boys are highly prized and many pregnancies are terminated as soon as the parents are notified that the child will be a girl. Infanticide and abandonment of newborns is still common in these countries....yet on the other hand I read recently that due to China's 'one child' policy there are now too many males in the population compared to females and there are fears that there will be social problems in the years ahead.

I would only agree with sex selection if there is a medical need as the previous poster has indicated, eg. to prevent haemophilia or other hereditary condition. Surely if a couple is so desperate for a baby that they are prepared to undergo IVF, they would be overjoyed to have a baby of either gender?
i agree...but i myself have two children my boy is 6 and when i was pregnant a second time i wanted a girl....which i indeed have .....yes i wouldn't have cared if it had been another boy.....as long as the child is healthy but like a lot of people i wanted one of each sex
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
far from aggreeing on designer babies....but choosing the sex i do agree on in some cases.....for example....some male babies can carry hereditory disieses......and all parents want to make sure their children have the best quality of life possible so not in all cases is it bad
oh yes i wouldnt disagree with it for hereditry disease purposes at all
however i have posted this in the wrong area havnt i should be in the lounge really
doh!
many apologies
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It can be moved if you want?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

For pure medical reasons - agree with it.
To make the perfectly balanced family christmas photo - no way!
Control is going to be the hard part.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I say no to designer babies. IVF should reflect life, ie you get what you're given.
In my case 3 lovely girls
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
It can be moved if you want?
nooo i just thought i might upset u moderaters by putting it in the wrong place

Last edited by englishnurse; Mar 22nd 2005 at 3:15 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

nooo i just thought i might upset u moderaters by putting it in the wrong place
doesn't bother me either way