British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Choosing a Bank in the PNW. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/choosing-bank-pnw-879615/)

Harveyspecter Jun 28th 2016 9:10 pm

Choosing a Bank in the PNW.

Can anyone recommend a good bank to bank with in the PNW? I was going to go with Wells Fargo initially but my wife told me when she had an account with them it was mandatory to have a savings account too which automatically transfers money from the current account into savings. As I won't have much savings initially if this is the case it may be an issue. She uses Banner Bank.

Can some expats give me advice as to their experiences?

Rete Jun 28th 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Choosing a Bank in the PNW.

My daughter and my sister both use Wells Fargo (personally I don't like them) but they never had to have a savings account with an automatic withdrawal from checking to savings monthly. Perhaps it was a feature that lowered the monthly charge??????????

Why would you not use the bank that your soon to be wife uses? At least it gets you started and you can always change later if you find that you don't like their services.

Pulaski Jun 28th 2016 9:49 pm

I have an account with Wells Fargo, but as far as I know there is no "mandatory" savings account, and I certainly do not have one.

There was a bit of a hoo-ha a few years ago, for which WF got fined, because of an apparently isolated number of staff who were chasing their performance goals by opening accounts which customers had not requested. Perhaps that is what your wife unfortunately experienced? :unsure:

My experience has been entirely positive with Wells Fargo even when my banking activities are slightly out of step with many US citizens and WF marketing - for example I do not have, and I will not have, a debit card, but I have had no problems being given, for many years now, an ATM card. :)

Asg123 Jun 29th 2016 12:17 am

I've opened accounts on the basis of incentives and i've never had a problem with service. So you could just see which banks are offering incentives (usually between $100 and $300) and open an account there.

They always want to make you open a savings account paying 0.05% or o.10% interest in addition to your checking account and you always have a job convincing them that you don't want to open an additional account with such a low interest rate!

katzgar Jun 29th 2016 1:23 am

boeing credit union

mrken30 Jun 29th 2016 2:59 am

Umqua or Key bank or maybe try a credit union. A lot of the bigger banks require either large deposits or large monthly fees to get the benefits. Credit unions vary so it depends where in the PNW you will be living. As for Wells Fargo, I eventually got my HELOC sorted out this week, it only took 3 months. My credit union took 4 weeks.

Credit Unions here are similar to the old building societies in the UK

Harveyspecter Jun 29th 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks all for the tips. I'm going to open with Banner just to have an account here to begin with then can change if I want to once I've settled in more.

katzgar Jun 29th 2016 3:59 pm

What state are you in

Harveyspecter Jun 29th 2016 5:18 pm

WA at the present time but looking to move to ID.

mrken30 Jun 29th 2016 5:23 pm

I would look for a bank that has branches in the two places (WA & ID) . Yes you can change banks , but depending how much automated payments you have it can be a pain. Also some banks like you to be present when closing an account.

katzgar Jun 29th 2016 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter (Post 11989196)
WA at the present time but looking to move to ID.

Boeing Credit Union as a member owned organization is going to be your best bet but do what you want