Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chip/PIN US credit cards yet?

Chip/PIN US credit cards yet?

Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chip/PIN US credit cards yet?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
To be honest, it seems ridiculous to me that the US is behind the rest of the world on so many of these issues. Chip & PIN technology is much more secure. I have lost count of the number of times I've had a swipe card compromised. No fraud liability for me but it's still a PITA to deal with.
When I moved here I felt like society had gone back 10 years. My wife gets extremely irritated when I state this, but the example above is just one of many examples why I feel this way. It's nice to know I am not the only one who felt this!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:56 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markie
Unfortunately, many small shopkeepers don't realise that either. They just know "ermagersh we're liable for fraud if we're not EMV-compliant, we better quit allowing Americans to use their credit cards!"

There have even been reports from Ireland of shops refusing chip-and-signature cards (including signature priority since it never gets to enter the PIN) on the same misguided principle. Of course, Ireland is probably the worst place in the world for credit cards in general - Visa/MC rules are rarely enforced and MANY shops force DCC against the cardholder's will - making a fortune for the shops, but massively defrauding travellers.
Quick sidebar - I'm off to China in July, and I'd read that enoforced-DCC was rife there. Since found out that my Discover card isn't compatible with DCC, so will only be charged in local currency. It has no foreign transaction fees either. (The card isn't chip & pin, so this doesn't contribute to the main discussion at hand).
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

I just got back from the UK and although ultimately I didn't really have any trouble using my swipe-only American Visa, it was pretty comical to see the befuzzled expressions of the majority of people (mostly kids) working the tills.

They clearly were not used to seeing anything but Chip-and-Pin, didn't know what to do, and it often resulted in a call for the supervisor. This was in off-the-beaten track small towns in the Lake District, away from the tourist areas.

I kept putting my card back in my wallet before they had checked the signature too, because I am so used to swiping it and putting it away without anyone looking at it. I still can't believe they don't enforce even that lame attempt at security over here.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Quick sidebar - I'm off to China in July, and I'd read that enoforced-DCC was rife there. Since found out that my Discover card isn't compatible with DCC, so will only be charged in local currency. It has no foreign transaction fees either. (The card isn't chip & pin, so this doesn't contribute to the main discussion at hand).
Discover, unlike American Express, does allow DCC, but they have their own, stricter, rules, so merchants don't bother.

Discover, however, does no good for Ireland and little good for most of Europe - it runs as Diner's Club and only in some countries. At best, Diner's Club acceptance is hit or miss. The acceptance is great in China, where it runs as UnionPay which is the most widely accepted card network in China.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not sure, its just what the payment processor sent, but gives no detailed explanation.

Its not a big issue for me, and doubtful Visa/MC will do anything about it. They don't really enforce their rules here.
The detailed is - if you don't support EMV, you're liable for your insecurity. If the issuing bank is idiotic and still issuing non-EMV cards, you're not liable for their insecurity.

And correct, they don't enforce their rules here either. I can't tell you how often I get asked for supplemental ID. In today's world of identity theft it ticks me off so bad!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
When I moved here I felt like society had gone back 10 years. My wife gets extremely irritated when I state this, but the example above is just one of many examples why I feel this way. It's nice to know I am not the only one who felt this!
Absolutely. I was so used to just wave my card back there.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by e3geek
Absolutely. I was so used to just wave my card back there.
But the thing is, banks here in the US used to issue contactless (non-EMV) cards. They were withdrawn by most major banks and most shops don't accept them (even if their readers can read them!) because people got furious, angry, switched banks, yelled and screamed over it. The amount of "they're tracking us" paranoia was insane.

To the point where I think it is part of the reason for the slow EMV rollout. Even contact IC cards attract suspicion among Americans that they're secretly a tracking device.

Of course, the joke on these fools is that ANY credit card is a tracking device. You don't need to track the physical card, you track the TRANSACTIONS. Something that's been done in police investigations for many years.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

But the thing is, banks here in the US used to issue contactless (non-EMV) cards. They were withdrawn by most major banks and most shops don't accept them (even if their readers can read them!) because people got furious, angry, switched banks, yelled and screamed over it. The amount of "they're tracking us" paranoia was insane.

To the point where I think it is part of the reason for the slow EMV rollout. Even contact IC cards attract suspicion among Americans that they're secretly a tracking device.

Of course, the joke on these fools is that ANY credit card is a tracking device. You don't need to track the physical card, you track the TRANSACTIONS. Something that's been done in police investigations for many years.
And they carry a cell phone, right? That's a tracker right there!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
And they carry a cell phone, right? That's a tracker right there!
Yup, it's stupid.

I think, at least, the "EMV is worthless" crowd (Costco, Wendy's, etc have had execs go on record whining about EMV costs) will shut up after the Target breach.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

This from USAA today:

At this time, USAA does not issue debit cards with a chip/PIN. In the event that this type of debit card becomes available, we will notify all members by email or on usaa.com.

With respect to your USAA Credit Cards. I will be happy to add chip and PIN capability to them on your behalf. Before I proceed, here is some additional information:

The cards will use one assigned 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) per account. The PIN cannot be changed.
The cards are available in one design, all black.
You can continue to use the cards in the U.S. because it also has the traditional magnetic stripe. Once a card has been converted it cannot be reverted back to the original card design.

New CC's on their way
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

No bank offers EMV debit in the US because there is not yet a way to implement it that complies with the Durbin amendment routing requirements. Debit will come eventually but for now US EMV is credit only.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

No bank offers EMV debit in the US because there is not yet a way to implement it that complies with the Durbin amendment routing requirements. Debit will come eventually but for now US EMV is credit only.
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Thanks for the info.
Sure thing, this Google News search should keep you updated on debit progress. Long story short, I wouldn't expect to see an EMV debit card issued in the US until at least the end of 2014.

As implemented in every other country in the world, EMV debit cards are illegal in the US, so it's a big roadblock.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Even for cards that have a chip, they are still slid the same way as any other card at the check out (in the US). Some card readers have the slot to 'insert' the card but it seems they are never used.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Even for cards that have a chip, they are still slid the same way as any other card at the check out (in the US). Some card readers have the slot to 'insert' the card but it seems they are never used.
Not never, but very rarely so far. Most shops have not enabled chip acceptance yet.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Not never, but very rarely so far. Most shops have not enabled chip acceptance yet.
What places do? I will use my chip and pin when I am in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.