Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chip and Pin (part two)

Wikiposts

Chip and Pin (part two)

Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chip and Pin (part two)

If you are going to the UK in the near future, watch out for a couple of things:

As mentioned in a previous thread, the Chip and PIN system is in effect, with no signatures allowed. I also found on this trip that shops would not allow me to use my US credit card without a PIN (others have said previously that if you are from the US and using a US credit card, you culd use the signature route, but I didn't find this to be the case).

ALSO, my ATM card was refused at the bank (i.e., could not use it to get cash out of an ATM machine). When I called my bank, turned out VISA has put a "block" on cards being used in certain counties (including the UK) for taking out more than $50 at a time. I tried for 200 quid, then 100 quid, then 50 quid and them assumed it was not the amount but some problem with my card. If I had tried as low as 25 quid I guess I would have been OK.

Basically, if I wasn't a Barclays cutsomer and therefore able to get cash from Barclays Bank over the counter I would have been up a creek without any cash whatsoever. Be warned.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:02 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chip and Pin (part two)

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you are going to the UK in the near future, watch out for a couple of things:

As mentioned in a previous thread, the Chip and PIN system is in effect, with no signatures allowed. I also found on this trip that shops would not allow me to use my US credit card without a PIN (others have said previously that if you are from the US and using a US credit card, you culd use the signature route, but I didn't find this to be the case).

ALSO, my ATM card was refused at the bank (i.e., could not use it to get cash out of an ATM machine). When I called my bank, turned out VISA has put a "block" on cards being used in certain counties (including the UK) for taking out more than $50 at a time. I tried for 200 quid, then 100 quid, then 50 quid and them assumed it was not the amount but some problem with my card. If I had tried as low as 25 quid I guess I would have been OK.

Basically, if I wasn't a Barclays cutsomer and therefore able to get cash from Barclays Bank over the counter I would have been up a creek without any cash whatsoever. Be warned.
The arrangements for overseas users did seem a bit haphazard, especially say if you are using your US card in the UK but have a british accent - expecting shop staff to use a bit of commonsense is probably pushing things a bit.

How did the job interview go ??
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Are you with Citibank? They put a block on all transactions carried out in the UK and Canada due to some security problem.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:21 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i've just come back from blighty and stores are infact still accepting signatures...i signed in marks and sparks...also my uk amex expires in june 2006 and they mailed out my new one a chip and pin.. prior to going to the uk i called amex to ask if i'd needed to activate it straight away as i too thought the chip and pin was the way to go but nope they said to keep using my old one and sign until june 2006 which i did and had no probs....
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

we had a nightmare trying to explain to our bank and credit card companies what the deal was back in the UK (I leave on Thursday) even American Express here were crap.. We phoned American Express back in the UK with whom we used to have a card, explained the situation and they sent me a brand new chip and pin card with a 6000 pound limit..<drools>
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even understand the c&p system.... if one has a Visa debit card, in the US, that means it works like a credit card in the sense that it's accepted where Visa is accepted, but you may have to enter your PIN and that turns it into an immediate debit.

Is that good enough?

The sh*t will hit the fan come tourist season if UK merchants don't work this out.

I didn't have trouble using a cashpoint to get 200 squid, using my BankOfAmerica ATM card.

I think those of you who are "obviously" British (eg accent) may be hassled more than those of us who are not British. If desperate try acting the ugly American?

(that ought to be a drink name, Ugly American -- only what to put in it? our awful beer? )
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:40 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Chip and Pin (part two)

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I don't even understand the c&p system.... if one has a Visa debit card, in the US, that means it works like a credit card in the sense that it's accepted where Visa is accepted, but you may have to enter your PIN and that turns it into an immediate debit.

Is that good enough?

The sh*t will hit the fan come tourist season if UK merchants don't work this out.

I didn't have trouble using a cashpoint to get 200 squid, using my BankOfAmerica ATM card.

I think those of you who are "obviously" British (eg accent) may be hassled more than those of us who are not British. If desperate try acting the ugly American?

(that ought to be a drink name, Ugly American -- only what to put in it? our awful beer? )
I leave on Thursday so no time to do anything about it now. guess if they have a problem accepting the cards i will have to try your suggestion and act the ugly american.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How it should work is when a card is swiped the machine should detect if there is a chip on the card or not. If it has a chip it should ask for a PIN, if not then it shouldn't. That part should be the same as it has been with certain card processors for the last 3 or 4 years, the only difference now is using the PIN and not the CVN.
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Takes an entire barrelful of yellow-colored water to turn you into an Ugly American.....
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I leave on Thursday so no time to do anything about it now. guess if they have a problem accepting the cards i will have to try your suggestion and act the ugly american.
Nice of you to return to the fold after a 4 month absence
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:21 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Nice of you to return to the fold after a 4 month absence
4 months... I guess I must be enjoying life
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
4 months... I guess I must be enjoying life
All that good company at work I expect ...
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:24 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I found myself educating the stores when I was over there - I told them first about being allowed to sign before handing them the card.
Never had a problem with it at all.

My only problem was, as dunroving's experience, finding that my bank here in the States decided to stop any transactions on my card even though my Hubby's was just fine and our branch knew that we were over in the UK for two weeks.

If I'd not had my credit card I would've been buggered!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:26 am
Ray

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
If I'd not had my credit card I would've been buggered!
That can be a real pain in the arse ....
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Takes an entire barrelful of yellow-colored water to turn you into an Ugly American.....
not me, I'm a lightweight but yeah, it'd take a keg's worth for most Brits.

Again, I think those of you who ARE British might encounter more hassle over this because the "help" at the establishment might think you were trying to pull a fast one. Be very clear that you live in the US, your credit/debit cards are issued in the US, and that under the law, you must report any establishment who refuses to take a transaction from a non-UK credit/debit customer. Tell them that you fully intend to report them and ask for the manager.

Someone at Gatwick tried this on me -- they of all places ought to know better -- but the supervisor soon set it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.