Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CHIP & PIN Credit cards

CHIP & PIN Credit cards

Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHIP & PIN Credit cards

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You might have a PIN for your credit card to take money out of an ATM. That does not mean that you have a "Chip & PIN" credit card. With C&P credit cards, you have to insert the credit card into a machine that reads the info on the chip and then you have to enter your PIN to complete the transaction. You don't sign anything.

http://www.cardhub.com/edu/chip-and-...and-signature/
That is exactly what I have and exactly the way it works. From Bank Of America. I don't know if they still do them, but they did them when I got the card 3(ish) years ago (and they better still have them when I need to renew the card, because they're extremely useful!).
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:03 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Oddity over the weekend. Actually saw a chip and pin machine here in Phoenix.

My parents are in town visiting and wanted to get some plants for our garden so we went to the local independent garden center. There on their rickety wooden counter sat a chip and pin machine, she put in my dad's Barclaycard (British issued), he put in his pin and boom it approved the transaction and out came a receipt.

We were all shocked.
I see retailers here have RFID enabled terminals; no idea who in America (bar foreigners) are able to use their cards with them mind!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
That is exactly what I have and exactly the way it works. From Bank Of America. I don't know if they still do them, but they did them when I got the card 3(ish) years ago (and they better still have them when I need to renew the card, because they're extremely useful!).
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...gnature-faq.go

What's the difference between chip & signature and chip & PIN? Does my card have a PIN?
Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not offer chip & PIN technology.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly what I have and exactly the way it works.
No, it is not. You have a C&S card, NOT a C&P card.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Bank of America does not offer chip & PIN technology.[/I]
Maybe they don't now but they did then! Someone else in the thread also has a BofA one and has also used it in the UK in pin and chip machines.

This is all getting a bit weird with you guys telling us we don't have something we not only own but have used!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:23 pm
Banned

Maybe they don't now but they did then! Someone else in the thread also has a BofA one and has also used it in the UK in pin and chip machines.

This is all getting a bit weird with you guys telling us we don't have something we not only own but have used!
Well I have BoA C&S card and I am in England soon. I'll try for myself and report back.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:25 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I see retailers here have RFID enabled terminals; no idea who in America (bar foreigners) are able to use their cards with them mind!
Got one of those too from BoA
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Got one of those too from BoA
Which card?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Strange the people who claim to have BoA chip and pin when BoA say they don't do them.

What's the difference between chip & signature and chip & PIN? Does my card have a PIN?

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not offer chip & PIN technology.

How do I obtain a PIN for my chip card?

You may request an ATM PIN for cash transactions by calling the number on the back of your card. If you have an existing PIN number for your credit card it is for ATM cash transactions only. It will not work for purchases that require a PIN.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:32 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Which card?
It's a separate small RFID card (a bit like one of those store loyalty cards that fit on your keyring) that came with the BoA credit card. It sticks to the back of your phone (for example).
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
It's a separate small RFID card (a bit like one of those store loyalty cards that fit on your keyring) that came with the BoA credit card. It sticks to the back of your phone (for example).
Interesting. Barclays (UK) used to offer that also.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

When I got my Amex CHIP and signature card I called them to ask about the PIN and they said there was no PIN. I have to use the card in a standard C&P machine then explain that I have no PIN and need to sign. (The C&P machine will read and validate the card)

Sounds ghastly, but I have just ordered, and set up the PIN, on a new C&P card from my credit union.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Chase Sapphire card with a chip in it. It is a new card, the old one not having a chip. Called Chase to get the pin number sent out. Was advised that card was chip and signature for credit, and if I used chip and pin even in the UK it would count as a cash advance, with no free credit period and a higher rate of interest.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

For the doubters (and in case I was going crazy and didn't actually use it in the UK) I have checked my old receipts and I definitely used my BofA chip and pin card in the UK and I definitely used the chip and pin function of it (I didn't sign) and I checked my credit card statement and the purchases came up as regular purchases not cash advances.

The card is the BankAmericard Travel Awards Privilege Visa card and I got it towards the end of 2012. I've no idea what they offer now or why they'd have moved away from chip and pin, but the cards they were offering at the end of 2012 were proper chip and pin and worked in proper UK chip and pin machines.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:37 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Was in Target tonight and they have new card readers installed with the chip symbol at the bottom so I thought I'd give it a try. Guess what? The slot for the card is blocked off so you have to swipe!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.