Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chip & PIN credit cards

Chip & PIN credit cards

Old May 22nd 2012, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chip & PIN credit cards

Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger
Not flavor of the month right now but Chase just offered us Chip & Pin on our British Airways Visa cards, arrived in the mail sharpish too
Chip & PIN? Or Chip & Signature? There's a difference. I think that card might actually be Chip & Signature which means you're still screwed if you have to use an automated machine (e.g. a ticket machine in a train station).
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Chip & PIN? Or Chip & Signature? There's a difference. I think that card might actually be Chip & Signature which means you're still screwed if you have to use an automated machine (e.g. a ticket machine in a train station).
You are indeed correct. And there was me hoping it was C&P but alas not
Old May 24th 2012, 10:08 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

I used a US credit card in France last summer. I only had problems at restaurants using portable card readers. The waiters were (IMO) unwilling to do the extra work needed for the non-standard card. I had a couple of RATP and SNCF ticket office employees that had to be persuaded to run the card through a second time, but other than that it was fine.
Old May 25th 2012, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

BeataB is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just in Paris this winter, and didn't have a problem using US credit cards. Even the little card readers that they bring to your table seem to be able to swipe a card if necessary.

The one place I really did have problems a few years ago was with the automated machines at train stations in France. We had booked train tickets online using my US card. When we went to pick them up from the machines at the station, it could not read my card so I couldn't print out the tickets. We had to join the ginormous queue to speak to a person and by the time we got to speak to someone we had missed the train. Very frustrating! So definitely don't try to use them in a situation with a machine like that - they can't read them.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Bushers is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been refused US cards in several places, mainly due to some fraud issues the stores have been experiencing. Was in Farnborough for some time and the Asda (Walmart owned!)/Burger King would not accept my US card at all. Was very frustrating. On one visit I was there during the Airshow and Asda decided for the 2 weeks it was running they would allow US cards, sooo pissed me off. Even this last christmas they refused my card again, which when traveling on business card made it really frustrating...